John Lapham
United States
Glenview
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been following this game with much interest and anticipation. Given the generally glowing reviews, especially regarding the pairing of the deck-building mechanic with the historical theme and mapboard of the game, I can't help but wonder if this might not be the start of a new genre of games: the deck-driven game. I've already thought that this system could be adapted to other areas of the world during the same era, such as the Caribbean, but it may have even greater potential than that. Is this just wishful thinking on my part, or is there a bright future for this sort of game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have beginning design notes for a civilization/ancients game and an age of absolutism game (think Louis XIV) that use deckbuilding elements. Neither has borne fruit yet, but I think we can safely say that we'll see more like this in the future. Game designers are nothing if not good borrowers, when they see something that works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game is well-received and sells well (early indications are yes on both counts) then imitations seem likely. If it means more good games, then it's a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
About a week after I bought Dominion, I had started building an interstellar empire game that used deck-building.

So, yeah, I think that's going to be a craze, for a while. But can such games be historical conflict simulations? I suspect not, as it is just one more degree of separation from reality, beyond what separation was already established by CDGs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
I suspect not, as it is just one more degree of separation from reality, beyond what separation was already established by CDGs.

That's just nonsense. Any mechanic can be historical, if it fits the analysis or model of the historical process.

I admit many new designs will not carefully consider the appropriateness of the new mechanic to the situation; this has unfortunately dominated CDG design and will undoubtedly dominate new DBG designs. That is the fault of the game designers, though, and not the mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lafe wrote:
I've been following this game with much interest and anticipation. Given the generally glowing reviews, especially regarding the pairing of the deck-building mechanic with the historical theme and mapboard of the game, I can't help but wonder if this might not be the start of a new genre of games: the deck-driven game. I've already thought that this system could be adapted to other areas of the world during the same era, such as the Caribbean, but it may have even greater potential than that. Is this just wishful thinking on my part, or is there a bright future for this sort of game?

If we cannot mine the CDG-DDG opportunities we are not the shifty rascals that I know us to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth noting that the ODB (the original deck builda) was itself a game about colonizing a dominion! So I think that games about colonization lend themselves to genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's certainly a way for deck-building games to play well for two players. Although not historical, Victory Point Games has already released one game combining the DDG mechanic with Chess in For the Crown (First edition) and has another in the pipeline, released in the next week or two - Assault on Galactus Prime - which has two players aiming to be the first to destroy a deadly space weapon (think Death Star). See this VPG preview from March for the full rundown and a recent update this month for the latest artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Planet
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game obviously models long lines of logistics (or delayed production) with the deck building mechanic. For that matter, any theater could be modeled, from colonizing the Med with Greek, Carthagian, or Roman settlements to the German Army supply problem in WWII.

I for one welcome these new mechanics, but would like to see them in non-standard settings. Maybe Colonial India, Ancient Phoenicia, or the 100 Years War would be good launching points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would rather see new explorations of the mechanic and its interaction with board/pieces, than see AFAoS sprayed onto other situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was really impressed with how the application into a wargamming setting worked. It captured strategic commitment beautifully. Once you fill your deck with one type of card you really cant flush large amounts of cards out of your deck and are stuck following that strategy through. conversely a small lean deck hasn't committed on a strategy yet and has both strengths and weaknesses for that.

I see it being well suited for strategic games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Brimer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone DOESN'T make a WWII DDG soon, I will be very suprised. I have been looking for a CDG board game based on WWII for a while since I first played Twilight Struggle. We've got the American Revolution, the Civil War, the Reformation years conflicts, World War I, etc but to my knowledge no WWII CDG/DDG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bosefasaurus wrote:
If someone DOESN'T make a WWII DDG soon, I will be very suprised.

If you're talking about a grand strategy WW2 deckbuilding game, it would be a terrible fit for the concept. Military and economic coordination were part and parcel of the totalitarian governments that waged the war (and even the democracies adopted some totalitarian principles to fight is as well).

Quote:
I have been looking for a CDG board game based on WWII for a while since I first played Twilight Struggle. We've got the American Revolution, the Civil War, the Reformation years conflicts, World War I, etc but to my knowledge no WWII CDG/DDG.

World War II: Barbarossa to Berlin
Sturm Europa!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
sdiberar wrote:
Quote:
I have been looking for a CDG board game based on WWII for a while since I first played Twilight Struggle. We've got the American Revolution, the Civil War, the Reformation years conflicts, World War I, etc but to my knowledge no WWII CDG/DDG.

World War II: Barbarossa to Berlin
Sturm Europa!

Also:

Shifting Sands
Stalin's War
Empire of the Sun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Brimer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies guys. I will definitely look into these suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wtrollkin2000 wrote:
I was really impressed with how the application into a wargamming setting worked. It captured strategic commitment beautifully. Once you fill your deck with one type of card you really cant flush large amounts of cards out of your deck and are stuck following that strategy through. conversely a small lean deck hasn't committed on a strategy yet and has both strengths and weaknesses for that.

I see it being well suited for strategic games.

There might be a game here.
I am unimpressed. What does big versus small deck simulate?.
It's just a way to avoid rolling a die to see if 'orders' or 'supplies' came thru.
Let's see; use the Duminion mechanic to clog your hand & waste time. Bad,bad mechanic. One session reports a 2 1/2 hour play session.
Not a good sign.
Reserves are open?! A nitpick; but highly annoying.
My first game was horribly long with Brasslike mistakes, & a lot of
"Can't play good without knowing the cards".
A good wargame beats this in regards to the learning curve any time.
I'll play again- just becuz I invested some much time in the first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
My session report claimed a 2.5 hour playtime. That was my first full game playing against another new player. My most recent game, against another new person, took around 1 hour, easily.

Small deck vs large deck: metaphor for government size, my ego, life, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davedanger wrote:
My first game was horribly long with Brasslike mistakes, & a lot of
"Can't play good without knowing the cards".
A good wargame beats this in regards to the learning curve any time.

Really! So when you sit down to try out Axis Empires: Dai Senso!, you're going to expect to understand the nuances of strategy straight away.

I see nothing wrong with "can't play good without knowing the cards". It's the same as "can't play good without knowing the situation and special chrome".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, which CDG is it where you don't need to "know the cards"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ove Ahlman
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Atleast it is going very strong here on BGG. Avarage rating of 8.33 is the highest avarage in the top 100, except for WotR:Collectors. Sure it might go down when more ratings are added, but the trend right now is that its going up. It was down at 8.25 before i think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.