Caesar's Gallic War» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Explanation for CGW Variant New Map rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the Explanation for the Alternate map in the File section.

GALLIA CISALPINA:
All Roman reinforcements start here.
There is a non-open border (called "pass") each with ALLOBROGES and HELVETII respectively. There is an open border with GALLIA TRANSALPINA.

PASS:
A non-open border (2 units/move).
In addition 1 supply/unit has to be paid.

GALLIA TRANSALPINA:
As can be seen it does no longer border HELVETII.

NON-OPEN BORDERS:
For aesthetic reasons several blue borders are coloured in GREEN (deep forests) or BROWN (mountains). Now there are no more "circulating rivers".

HELVETII:
Open border with ALLOBROGES.

MANDUBII
This territory lost its name and was devided.
For Neutral Tribe activation and/or Political action the (former) Mandubii card can be used for either tribe.
(Reason: The SENONES were a big and influential tribe, the LINGONES a middle tribe. The Mandubii were a rather unimportant tribe which just happended to have a good fortress (Alesia). This change also interupts the "Maginot Line" of Fortresses)

EBURONES
New area (part of MENAPI) with Fortress - named ADUATUCA. There is NO Eburones Card. Eburones can be activated by Revolt, political Action or by Ariovist's special ability. The Eburones have two units.
(REASON: They were just missing, their Leader Ambiorix even being present...)

NERVII
New Area (part of ATREBATES).
Same as Eburones. No fortress. The Nervii have two units.

TOWNS:
There are 3 towns. BIBRACTE (Aedui), BIBRAX (Remi), CONDEVINCUM (Andes).
Towns produce 1 Roman supply.
They give a defense bonus of BR +1 in the first combat round, but no bonus for initiative.

SEA MOVEMENT:
Sea movement is only along dotted lines (either Atlantic Ocean OR British Channel). Transport costs 1 supply/unit transported.

VENETI:
Attackers across land borders have their battle rating reduced to "1", even Caesar. This encourages to fight the VENETI via amphibious invasion.

GERMAN OFFBOARD
The Germans (only) may retreat into their Off-Board region.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the late reply. This definitely looks interesting. For game purposes several tribes were merged, but you've split them back out. I wonder how that will affect game balance, as it certainly makes life tougher on the Romans.

The supply expenditures for crossing mountain passes and amphibious invasions seem reasonable, but again I worry that they would seriously hamper the Romans. I do like the dotted lines to indicate sea connections.

The notion of "towns" has potential, as it gives the Romans a reason to target those areas but I worry that it will give them too much supply. Perhaps it balances out with the additional supply expenditures you've added above, though.

I don't know about the Veneti rule. It's a nice bit of chrome, but I try to avoid special rules like that.

The German Offboard rule seems reasonable. Is there extra cost to get units back out of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djberg96 wrote:
Sorry for the late reply. This definitely looks interesting. For game purposes several tribes were merged, but you've split them back out. I wonder how that will affect game balance, as it certainly makes life tougher on the Romans.

The supply expenditures for crossing mountain passes and amphibious invasions seem reasonable, but again I worry that they would seriously hamper the Romans. I do like the dotted lines to indicate sea connections.

The notion of "towns" has potential, as it gives the Romans a reason to target those areas but I worry that it will give them too much supply. Perhaps it balances out with the additional supply expenditures you've added above, though.

I don't know about the Veneti rule. It's a nice bit of chrome, but I try to avoid special rules like that.

The German Offboard rule seems reasonable. Is there extra cost to get units back out of it?

Tougher for the Romans...
Yes, but bwith some extra supply they can compensate!

Mountain and Pass supply...
Still it feels better, than cheap SEA MOVE short cuts from Santones to Belgium... But the "TROWN" supply points are badly needed.

Dotted sea lines...
Note, that You cannot pass from Santones to Britain! Veneti is part of both "seas". And the two ANDES coasts now also make sense!

Veneti rule...
You are probably right. So get rid of this rule. But what about having the Veneti a 2nd Unit (with ship symbol), able to retreat "across sea". If at the end of the Year Veneti is still roman controlled they will surrender/change sides as usual, but till then they might try to recover their homeland... Like that idea?

German Offboard rule...
Yes, they would need an action to return to Germany proper during a normal turn. But they could also just wait till the end of Year phase "German Units return Home" = Germania). This return movement is of course for free.

Any Ideas about that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.