Talarius Dunedain
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Hellboy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a bit of a silly question as nobody has a copy of the game just yet, but maybe someone from GMT could estimate how many trays I should pick up?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent question -- particularly if there's a way we can add them to the order without having to pay separate shipping!

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Woods
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried doing that when I ordered Wilderness War P500, but they wouldn't let me. I had to pay $9 shipping if I wanted I believe 10 of them shipped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talarius wrote:
estimate how many trays I should pick up?

I'm neither from GMT nor an experienced wargamer, but my estimate is that three GMT trays should be enough to store the 704 counters (5/8"). This would on average be less than 12 counters per compartment, so it allows for some useful grouping.
But maybe you want to have one tray per player (are there half-size trays?) and one or two for the common bits (many system markers), in this case it would be 5-6 trays, which I consider too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
etherton wrote:
Excellent question -- particularly if there's a way we can add them to the order without having to pay separate shipping!

My FLGS has GMT and Chessex trays, maybe you have a local supplier for those, too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, it depends more on how many different types of counters there are, rather than on how many total.

I have 4 GMT trays waiting. I believe the game is coming in the Combat Commander sized box rather than the smaller box. If so, it should hold the mounted board and 3 trays-ish. But, nobody has the game yet so who knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But maybe you want to have one tray per player (are there half-size trays?) and one or two for the common bits (many system markers), in this case it would be 5-6 trays, which I consider too much.

Two players may be able to share a tray. With one for common bits (hopefully...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 10 different ship types per player according to the Ship Technology Sheet. Of these 10 different types, there are 42 total ship markers per player.

x4 players makes 168 ship counters.

Per the scenario book, there are 26 system specific Home System Markers per player.

x4 players makes 104 Home System counters

There are (at least) 98 Deep System Markers.

The above accounts for 370 total counters (out of the 704), leaving 334 unaccounted for.

There are an unknown number of the following:

Numeral counters
Colony CP counters
Mine counters
MS Pipeline counters
Damage counters
Decoy counters
Alien Ship counters

So, roughly, it looks like there are about 15 different types of counters per player and 4 different types of counters for generic purposes.

I think the counter trays have about 20 slots in them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talarius Dunedain
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Hellboy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys! Great responses. I picked up 4x GMT counter trays at my FLGS based on your answers; if I end up with one too many I'm sure I can use it for some other game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Talarius wrote:
I picked up 4x GMT counter trays

Seems appropriate...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out to lunch wrote:
Although you won't be able to fit them all inside, even if the box is in the Combat Commander/Dominant Species format.

Especially due to the space consumption of the mounted board. Despite this I wanted a mounted board, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings 4x Fans....

I picked up my copy of 4x while attending WBC in PA. GMT was very kind in offering to ship our P500 ordered games with Andy to WBC. I received my copy...and yes, it's a work of art!

I used 3 GMT trays to store all counters. Here is how I sorted the game counters for 4x:

Tray One (1) stores all game information counters, battle markers, etc.

Tray Two (2) stores both Red/Yellow races. What I did was sort by ship class by slots (two rows for each race):

RED RACE...
(1) Bases, World Markers, (2) MS pipelines
(3) Colony Ships, (4) Mines and Mine Sweepers,
(5) CV's and Fighters, (6) BB/DNS
(7) CA/BC, (8) DD/SC/Raiders,
(9) Two Player Starting Units (Scouts/Colony Ships/SY's, etc.)
(10) Same Color Exploration Counters

YELLOW RACE... (flipped)

Tray Three (3) stores both Red/Yellow (Blue/Green) races.

BLUE RACE...

GREEN RACE... (flipped)

Epp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you mean, in the third star above, that Tray Three (3) stores both Blue/Green races?

Do all three trays fit in the box? If not, do two of them? (ie if we're playing mostly 2p we could store the other two colors separately)

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixed...
Thanks. To answer your question, NO. The game comes in a standard sized game box (Labyrinth) and I employ a (X-type) game box rubber band to secure all the goodness inside.

It would have been nice if GMT used the larger Combat Commander sized box but they did not....(sigh).

Epp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Fryer
United States
Woodstock
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VonEpp wrote:
Fixed...
Thanks. To answer your question, NO. The game comes in a standard sized game box (Labyrinth) and I employ a (X-type) game box rubber band to secure all the goodness inside.

It would have been nice if GMT used the larger Combat Commander sized box but they did not....(sigh).

Epp

Yavul !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
VonEpp wrote:
Fixed...

Epp

Does that mean that for the most part just two of the trays will fit in the box? How high does using 3 raise the box-lid?

Considering I couldn't even fit one tray comfortably in the Labyrinth box, I doubt you could fit even 2 in the Space Empires box, let alone 3... but then again, I haven't seen it, so I don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC Twilight Struggle Deluxe had a six-fold board (ie thicker) so maybe Labyrinth does as well? Is the board for Space Empires four-fold or six-fold?

(Yeah just idle speculation at this point, hoping I get my copy soon!)

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
VonEpp wrote:
Fixed...

Epp

Does that mean that for the most part just two of the trays will fit in the box? How high does using 3 raise the box-lid?

With two (2) trays, the box lid will almost completely close (1/4" lifted above the lower box).

With three (3) trays, the box lid closes 1/2 way, still enough closure if the lid is secured with an "X" type rubber band.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Blake
United States
Benicia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the best bet for storing the game in the original box is to use 2 counter trays filled as Epp described for the 4 player counter sets in each color. Then bag all the generic markers in the bags GMT included and all the deep space markers in a 4" x 4" bag. These bags and the dice all easily fit around the gameboard as it is slighty smaller than the standard GMT mounted board (22x30 vs. 22x32). The 2 counter trays can then sit flush on top of the board and the lid only lifts about 0.5 inches proud of the box. Secure with a rubber band and you're done. This game really cries out for one of GMT's armor plated 3 inch boxes like CC or HIS 2nd Ed.! This would allow use of 3 trays and also allow storing the inevitable expansion material in the same box. Hopefully when it's reprinted after selling out its print run we'll get the deluxe box treatment

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.