Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Thunderstone» Forums » General

Subject: Proposed Non-Random Starting Dungeon - "Malady" - feedback requested rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Cherry
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
So, I've just started my second round of chemotherapy, for my second cancer. Disease and sickness and rot and decay have been on my mind.

I've also been considering non-random, thematic Thunderstone decks.

Here's what I've come up with:

-----
dungeon:

The Swarm
Undead * Plague
Verminfolk * Animal

+Guardian of Virulence

Ulbrick's Treasures

setting:

Dreadwatch (1 disease every Dungeon)

heroes:

any 4 clerics (Woodfolk suggested/preferred)

village:

7 Burnt Offering
11 Creeping Death
4 Cursed Bow (0)
5 Cursed Mace (0)
4 Flask of Oil (1)
4 Pious Chaplain
5 Plaguesmiter (3)
2 Spoiled Food (1)
------

Now, I know this is a brutal setup. Amazingly brutal. I expect to use the Special Diseases and run out at least once.

Four of the village cards are disease-related (the two cursed weapons, the chaplain, and the plaguesmiter). One just has a feeling of "rotting" - the spoiled food. the two spells, at least for me, both feel like they carry decay (burnt offering and creeping death). And the flask of oil just feels like it has exactly the sort of desperation these people might need (plus it gives us light).

But: is there anything "broken" about this setup? What additional challenges (besides "tons and tons of diseases") am I possibly overlooking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regian Bishop (the level 3 hero) might be overpowered, as he can destroy a disease to draw two cards as a repeat effect (not sure if any other clerics can do the same). Normally, drawing one card for a disease is fine; it's as if you never drew the disease in the first place, but getting two means you'll actually be stronger by drawing diseases. Since he's limited supply, it might give too big of an advantage to whoever can level him up. (This won't be as big of a problem if there's other heroes with the same two-for-one repeat ability, but I don't know offhand if there are or not.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Cherry
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
I haven't found any others with the same two-for-one repeat ability, but I think I've found comparable. I just looked through all the clerics and here's what I've found:

(ETA: forgot Terakian)

Regian 1: (repeat dungeon) destroy 1D for 1C
Regian 2: (repeat dungeon) destroy 1D for 1C; dungeon: 1C
Regian 3: (repeat dungeon) destroy 1D for 2C; dungeon: 2C

Woodfolk 1: +3 attack against monsters w/ Disease
Woodfolk 2: (dungeon) destroy 1D for 1C
Woodfolk 3: (repeat dungeon) destroy 1D for 1 C and +4MA

Divine 1: (v/d) Destroy 1D for 1C
Divine 2: +1 attack for each disease in your hand
Divine 3: (dungeon) destroy 1D for 1C

Chalice 1: (repeat dungeon) destroy 1D for 1C
Chalice 2: (repeat dungeon) destroy 1D to draw 1C
Chalice 3: n/a. no disease powers.

Terakian 1: discard 1D for 1C
Terakian 2: discard 1D for 1C and +1A
Terakian 3: discard 1D for 2C

Belzur 1: (village) destroy 1D for 2G
Belzur 2: n/a. no disease powers.
Belzur 3: (village/dungeon) destroy 1D for 3C

Sidhe 1-3: Screw with other players by giving them diseases

Blind 1-3: light, light light, no disease

----

so none of them have the compounding ability of the Regian. but (apart from the chalice and blind, which are dual class) it really feels like most of them are on par. Based on this analysis, here's my current suggested setup for heroes:

Divine, Regian, Terakian, Woodfolk

----

I'm also noting that this is a pretty low-gold game. That creeping death is somewhat of a hurdle to purchase (you'd need a few plaguesmiters, but you'd probably want a few anyway). Think that's a detriment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artemus Maximus
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd personally like to include Belzur for the gold to make creeping death more obtainable - that with Sidhe really make this type of setup a nightmare I've found Pious Chaplin can become a little too much when there are many diseases to be had in the deck.

Also, I'd add Lord of Death & Suffering monsters to the deck devil

best of luck in your recovery

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.