Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Whitt
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OK, it's time to play spot-the-OCD....

I picked up a handy Plano-style box recommended in another thread here for organizing the terrain tiles for M44 and all the expansions.

However, now I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to group the tiles.

See, all of my tiles were jumbled up and not grouped by expansion.
Since the tiles are double-sided and some sides are more common regardless of what's on the reverse, what I did was first sort them by the most common side, then by the least common side. So for example, a tile that has forest on one side and hedgerow on the other went in the hedgerow pile.

But this seems like it's going to be a real nightmare the first time I actually play the game and have to put it all back together. I'll probably be in a hurry to clear the table so I won't care where I put them at the time, then the next time I go to play M44 I won't know where to look for what. shake

So should I just find a list of the terrain tiles by expansion and re-sort them? I find that sort of thing relaxing, believe it or not, so I wouldn't mind that.

But how do you do it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep all my tiles in two rows in the M44 box. So I read somewhere someone had drawn a line along the edge of tile to indicate which expansion it came from so they could be grouped by colour. I did that to mine—blank for base, green for TP, red for EF, and blue for AP—and then after the first time playing with that system they all got jumbled together and I couldn't be bothered to sort them.

Maybe I'll at least try to keep them sorted by environment, countryside, winter, and desert, tiles with two environments notwithstanding. But we'll see how long that lasts. I'd love for them to be/stay logically organized, but I'm a little lazy and ~200 tiles isn't too bad to sort through.

So that doesn't answer your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clexton27
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just sort them by Expansion.
Here is the link:

http://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/content/rules/

Look near the bottom
CONTENTS ROLL CALL SHEETS Coutesy of Coltsfan76
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bysouth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well now, I have posted this before but I feel the need to re-post so here goes. I spent a long time working out a good solution for sorting terrain tiles that was very complicated and involved all sort of cross checks etc... and then discovered Memoir nirvana following the advice of a fellow geek. Just store the most commonly used tiles LOOSE in a shallow box. The Air Pack expansion box (with the insert and all other contents removed) is perfect for this. Because the box is so shallow you can quickly find every tile that you need despite the chaos that greets your eyes when you open the box. Those of you with OCD tendencies may not like this system but it really does work. I have all the 'field' tiles stored like this with seperate storage for 'desert' and 'winter' (plus those with alternate backgrounds) which get less play. It also has the benefit of making me look less of a dork in the eyes of my wife (although the carefully compartmentalised boxes of C&C: A/N armies may well be undermining this for me)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gastel Etswane
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I am very happy with my tile organization. I organize them by Terrain # (from the cards) with the lowest at the front and the higher facing the back. Then I organize them as Grass / Winter / Desert if the terrain exists for multiple expansions.

I made inserts into one of my M44 boxes and this allows me to hold them all in 4 rows and are easy to pick when making a scenario. I also spent some time cataloging the terrain that I have in an Excel file, I printed a copy and placed it in the box. This makes it easier to return the tiles to the box.

Wow, re-reading this it sounds very complicated, and I must admit that it did take some time to setup but it is very intuitive when picking them out. Also it tells me what terrain cards to pull if someone wants the easy reference cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Whitt
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mzungu wrote:
Just sort them by Expansion.
Here is the link:

http://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/content/rules/

Look near the bottom
CONTENTS ROLL CALL SHEETS Coutesy of Coltsfan76

Thanks for the link. I think I'm going to go with this approach. Scenarios always indicate the required expansions, so with that organization it should be relatively simple to find the right terrain.

I may re-organize all of my M44 components by expansion, come to think of it (including minis, badges, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas P. Felder
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a collector's folder for trading gard games with 3x3 pages, sorting every two or three tiles in one space.
This has the advantage that the backside of the tiles is visible as I go through the folder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.