Subject: Hospice / University question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gus Smedstad
United States
West Roxbury
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I've always played that you can place the extra colonist from the Hospice on a newly taken Plantation tile, and the extra colonist from the University on a newly purchased building. The rules say you can place the colonist on "this" tile, which is ambigious.

In a recent session, another player insisted that "this" refers to the Hospice or University respectively, so that the extra colonist just hangs around doing nothing until the next Mayor action.

Is there some sort of official answer to which meaning of "this" is correct?

- Gus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ersatz Ursatz
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Gus, I see you're on top of this. When you get an answer, can you post it over to the Meetup site?

Thanks,

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Boyd
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
You are correct. Place it on the selected tile or the built building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gussmed wrote:
In a recent session, another player insisted that "this" refers to the Hospice or University respectively, so that the extra colonist just hangs around doing nothing until the next Mayor action.

The latter interpretation is patently incorrect. Some pointers:

a) None of the online versions of the game (including the main one at BSW) play this way. In fact, I've never heard of anyone even mention this interpretation before.
b) Spare colonists are always stored in San Juan (see the rules for the Mayor role). If the intent was for the extra colonist to just be 'spare' - why wouldn't it say to put the extra colonist in San Juan?
c) Both the Hospice and University are unimpressive buildings following the standard rules. But with this alternate ruling they are unbelievably bad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott Kenfield
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hey Gus,
I can't find any mention of the way I insisted upon yesterday even though I was positive. And I agree with everything said on the subject in this thread. So let's play put it on the new plantation or building.

I also found out that the bonus resource during the craftsman phase is collected afterall of the players have collected their production. That's new for us too.

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nielsen
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I also found out that the bonus resource during the craftsman phase is collected afterall of the players have collected their production. That's new for us too.

One of the first house rules I enacted in my group was allowing the craftsman to take the bonus before the other players got their barrels. I've yet to play face-to-face with someone who doesn't prefer this.

Justification: Craftsman is already the weakest role in the game, and doesn't need to be further hindered by making it easy to lose the bonus, especially in 5-player. Except for a defensive captain or trader, a meaningful bonus is never lost for other roles except in highly unusual or contrived situations. Also, the offensive option of denying another player a barrel makes a nice addition to a generally weak role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gus Smedstad
United States
West Roxbury
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Thanks for clarifying this. I wasn't even aware that the Hospice was considered a weak building until reading some of the threads here. Like many relatively new players, I thought it looked awfully strong. I've had the game for 3 years, but I've only had opportunities to play it 5 times now.

- Gus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.