Mhing» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob R
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Not having the instructions booklet (just having the cards) and seeing/reading conflicting information:

1) When playing Mhing can a Chow (Sequence) be made by anyone or only when it is their turn? How is this handled in 2 player and >2 player games?

2) There is little information on how "jokers" are handled and scored, can I get an explanation for these?

Is there some place to see the original instructions for the Mhing game, please?

..Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lavoie
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The rule for "Chow" is: "If you have two cards in a run and another player discards what you need to make a Sequence, you may declare "Chow" and claim the discard. After you lay down the Sequence, you discard and the play moves to the next player on your left skipping anyone between you and the player who discarded." Emphasis is in the original rules.

2. Do you mean the 6 Wild Cards? According to the rules, a Wild Card can be used in place of any other card except for Flower Cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, no restrictions for making chows, no matter how many players are involved. Wild cards are exactly that, wild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob R
United States
flag msg tools
mb
A discard for Chow (sequence) can be claimed by any player regardless of the number of players or player position. So, this is unlike normal MahJongg where a player can only claim the last discard for a Chow if it is their turn?

Jokers are wild cards and can substituted for other cards (except flowers). Is there a limit to how many can be used in a meld? Are there restrictions with using them for discards? If a joker is melded to the table can it be changed (replaced with a matching card)? Does using Jokers effect scoring in anyway?

Can I get a scan of the original instructions, please?

..Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
br1252 wrote:
So, this is unlike normal MahJongg where a player can only claim the last discard for a Chow if it is their turn?

That depends on how you define normal mahjong, I suppose.

Quote:
Is there a limit to how many can be used in a meld? Are there restrictions with using them for discards? If a joker is melded to the table can it be changed (replaced with a matching card)? Does using Jokers effect scoring in anyway?

No limit. You can discard Jokers, but you'd be daft to do that. No changes, it's permanently there. No effect on scoring. I'm not 100% sure of these, though, I don't have the rules at hand and it's been couple of years from my last game.

Quote:
Can I get a scan of the original instructions, please?

I think my set is in Finnish, won't help you much I'm afraid. I think I've seen the ruleset somewhere online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob R
United States
flag msg tools
mb
By using jokers with discards I meant can they be used to make claimed chows/pung/mhings?

Sorry for the questions but in reading what little of the instructions there are online, including those in the file download section on this site, there are elements that seem in conflict with each other. That's why I was hoping to get a scan of the original rules.

..Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can use them when melding from hand or when melding from a discard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob R
United States
flag msg tools
mb
This is a condensed version of the rules. Can you let me know if I got anything wrong or need to add anything?

Once done I can format this and upload it the files section here.

Thank you for any assistance.

..Bob

Mhing

Overview: A card game for 2 to 6 players using a deck of 150 cards. The deck consists of an Asian Mahjong set with eight Flowers and six Jokers. The Bamboo, Circle and Character cards are called Suits. The Winds and Dragons cards are called Honors.

Objective: To complete a hand of 14 cards consisting of four sets and a pair. A set can be a sequence of three numerical cards or a triplet of three identical cards. Sequences are called “Chows” and Triplets are called “Pungs”. The winning hand is scored and the first player to reach 500 points wins the game.

Setup: A dealer is chosen by lot, the deck is shuffled and each player is dealt 13 cards. The dealer will be the starting player.

Game Play: Each player draws a card and then discards a card.

- If a drawn card or another players’ discard completes your hand say “Mhing” and win the hand.

- If the last discard will complete a sequence or triplet in your hand it may be claimed (say “Chow” or “Pung”) and then you must lay the set down and discard one card. Claiming can cause skipping of players which is normal. When more than one player makes a claim then the priority is Mhing, Pung and Chow. In the event of a claim tie the player closest to the left of the discarder has priority.

Play then proceeds to the left (clockwise) of the last player to discard.

Jokers are wild cards and can be used as anything except flowers and if laid on the table cannot be changed.

Special hand: Nothing Connects is when you have no Triplets, no Sequences and no Pairs and all cards in the same Suit are at least three digits apart. This hand is completed only by drawing except that the last card can be claimed to win.

Scoring: Only the winner of the hand can score credits by using any/all combinations of the 18 Mhing scoring elements. A hand can score from 0 to 41 credits. Once credits are tallied they are then converted to points and the points are added to the players’ total. Deal then passes to the left and another hand is played.

Standard table of the 18 credit scoring elements in Mhing
Credits Scoring Element Example
1 Sequences Only and any Pair 123B 567D 234D 678C 66C
1 Double Sequence in diff Suits 456D 456C
1 Double Triplet in different Suits 333B 333C
1 Honor Triplet (Winds or Drags) WWW or RRR
1 Broken Royal Run in same Suit 123D 789D
1 Two Suits Only w/no Honors 234B 567B 111C 456C 44C
1 Pair of any 2’s or 5’s or 8’s 22D
1 Flowers (each) F

3 Triplets Only Hand 111B 555D WWW 888B 66C
3 Identical Double Sequence 456D 456D
3 Royal Run (1-9 in same Suit) 123B 456B 789B
3 One Suit with any Honors 123D 444D 678D WWW 99D
3 Nothing Connects W N E 158B 259D 369C GR

5 High/Low (no Honors) All 1 to 5 OR 5 to 9
5 All Suits + Winds + Dragons 678B 888C 234D NNN RR

8 All Dragon Triplets RRR GGG WhWhWh
8 One Suit Only w/no Honors 123B 666B 456B 888B 99B
8 Nothing Connects w/ALL Honors RWhG N E W S 159B 36D 47C

(B=Bam D=Dot C=Char E=East S=South W=West N=North R=Red G=Green Wh=White)

After all credits are added together the points for the players are calculated using the following conversion table:

Credits Points Credits Points Credits Points
1 2 11-13 128 29-31 8,192
2 4 14-16 256 32-34 16,384
3 8 17-19 512 35-37 32,768
4 16 20-22 1,024 38-40 65,536
5-7 32 23-25 2,048 41+ 131,072
8-10 64 26-28 4,096

If playing for money: Everyone pays the winner the winning hand value if they won by drawing. If they won by discard then everyone pays the winning hand value except the discarder pays double. Point conversion is a penny a point (rounded to nearest 10 points) and there is a winning hand value limit of 100 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Payne
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmb
Looks pretty good from here. The main clarifications are that All Suits and Honours must have both winds and dragons, and that higher scoring elements already include the credits for lower scoring elements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob R
United States
flag msg tools
mb
So when you say " higher scoring elements already include the credits for lower scoring elements" do you mean that if I had a triplet of 2's that it would count only as a triplet and not 3 pairs of 2?

..Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob R
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Mhing games docs now online: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/68922/mhing-card-game-docu...

Please let know if any corrections/additions are needed.

..Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.