Subject: Everybody has been playing it wrong (including me) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Sanderson
Bermuda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.criticalmiss.com/issue10/CampaignRealMonopoly1.ht...

I never realised that you are supposed to auction off a property if the person who lands on it doesn't want to buy it. I guess everybody just thinks they know the rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Not everyone. Some of us read rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
jpeter wrote:
http://www.criticalmiss.com/issue10/CampaignRealMonopoly1.ht...

I never realised that you are supposed to auction off a property if the person who lands on it doesn't want to buy it. I guess everybody just thinks they know the rules...

People know the rules they're taught. Auctions and mortgages are usually deemed too complicated for what people perceive as a children's game that adults now don't want to play.

Somewhere along the road, someone made a decision to dumb down the game so that the kids could play without having to explain the adult concepts, eliminating the auctions and mortgages; with the kids probably instituting the "free parking" rule and instigating trading.

Much like an urban legend, the fiction has been interpreted as fact for so long ("He's older than us - it must be true!" in reference to being taught the game by a friend/sibling) that it's become ingrained.

I'll not defend Monopoly, even if played by the rules, because it still has its inherent flaws, but I don't think we'll ever see the end of your particular plight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My family's always played that way; my mom taught us the correct rules as wee lads. Although I now that rule is often missed, as is the lack of free parking payout.

Not that it makes Monopoly a great game, but with the correct rules and the tournament rule (once one person goes bankrupt, everyone adds up their total assets, highest total wins), it's tolerable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, about two years ago some friends came over and wanted to play this game... Someone landed on a property and said they didn't want to buy it so I said, "Ahhhhhh, bidder, bidder, we need a bidder, so what's the bid, who will bid first, ahhhhh bida, bida, bidder!"

The three others playing looked at me like I was insane. Alesia said, "What the hell are you doing" to which I said, "Starting the auction..."

Since it was three to one wondering what was wrong with me I pulled out the rules... sure enough, auction rules, I was vindicated!

“Oh”, said one of the players, “that makes sense and will make the game quicker too”.

I said, “Yep, but if you want a house rule to make it even faster we can roll a third die, if it lands on one, you advance to the nearest un-owned property, if all property is owned you advance to the nearest property you will have to pay rent at”.

So, we used that house rule.

Oh, and when I offered to purchase a property from another player, to make a set, they flipped out again…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is amazing how well and how differently the game plays when played by the actual rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Paquet
United States
South burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
exact same thing happened the first time i played vs my gf and her 20 yo son almost led to a big argument in the first turn... when i told them later you didnt put any money on free parking they looked at me funny and went to the rule book immediatly

" you play monopoly weird" was all they said once i whooped them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Koury
United States
Woodland Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
My family's always played that way; my mom taught us the correct rules as wee lads. Although I now that rule is often missed, as is the lack of free parking payout.

Not that it makes Monopoly a great game, but with the correct rules and the tournament rule (once one person goes bankrupt, everyone adds up their total assets, highest total wins), it's tolerable.

That is not a tournament rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.