6 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Why Aragorn never went to mirkwood. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got LOTR the card game as a late birthday present, so I set it up for a solo game, with me using Aragorn and theodred from the leadership deck.

It was was a massacre.

Turn 1, I get Celebrian's stone, and play it on Aragorn. Sent both characters questing, and random draw turns up the king spiders. Blah. No progress on the quest, and spider 1 engages me. I travel to old forest road, readying Aragorn, mostly block the attack. However, the shadow effect is ungoliants spawn, raising my threat by 4, plus the new turn threat raise.

Turn 2, I pay 2 resources for an ally, and quest again, using theodred's ability on Aragorn, and Aragorn's re-readying ability. This time the threat outright beats us, and staging drew another forest spider. Both forest spiders engage. Aragorn mostly blocked one attack, the ally died to block another, and theodred took 3 damage from the third.

And, that was about it. I could only afford one cheap 2-resource ally each turn, who would immediately die to one of the spiders, Aragorn would block another, the third would be trouble, and no progress would be made on either the quest or the enemies. After two more turns of this sorry affair, my heroes succumbed.

Total progress: No resources or allies in play at time of loss. Both heroes one hit from death. 50 threat. No progress at all questing. And, exactly ONE point of damage dealt to an enemy.

Note:I found out after the fact that enemies engaged are not part of the staging area for threat purposes. I was still dead though, as I just couldn't fight 3 spiders at once! yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Third Hero ? or is there an option to play the two to start with less threat ?

It might have paid to take an undefended attack and use Hero to attack ? but anyway sounded like a lively first game.

My first run I won so convincingly I was sure I'd messed up a rule. And I was right I'd not been adding to the threat dial when my questing was unsuccessful. Makes a big difference
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you can use 1-3 I think it says so in the rulebook. I haven't seen any point to using less than three (unless you like losing or somehow think this game is too easy) in the core quests though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donal E
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nicholas1024 wrote:
Just got LOTR the card game as a late birthday present, so I set it up for a solo game, with me using Aragorn and theodred from the leadership deck.

It was was a massacre.

Turn 1, I get Celebrian's stone, and play it on Aragorn. Sent both characters questing, and random draw turns up the king spiders. Blah. No progress on the quest, and spider 1 engages me. I travel to old forest road, readying Aragorn, mostly block the attack. However, the shadow effect is ungoliants spawn, raising my threat by 4, plus the new turn threat raise.

Turn 2, I pay 2 resources for an ally, and quest again, using theodred's ability on Aragorn, and Aragorn's re-readying ability. This time the threat outright beats us, and staging drew another forest spider. Both forest spiders engage. Aragorn mostly blocked one attack, the ally died to block another, and theodred took 3 damage from the third.

And, that was about it. I could only afford one cheap 2-resource ally each turn, who would immediately die to one of the spiders, Aragorn would block another, the third would be trouble, and no progress would be made on either the quest or the enemies. After two more turns of this sorry affair, my heroes succumbed.

Total progress: No resources or allies in play at time of loss. Both heroes one hit from death. 50 threat. No progress at all questing. And, exactly ONE point of damage dealt to an enemy.

Note:I found out after the fact that enemies engaged are not part of the staging area for threat purposes. I was still dead though, as I just couldn't fight 3 spiders at once! yuk

Sounds very similar to my first game. I tried all four spheres, as mono-decks, and finally the spirit deck was the one I could beat the first quest with (using all 3 heroes). I kept the threat low enough to keep most enemies in the staging area, committed lots to question and slowly made progress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wolfe
United States
BLOOMINGTON
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You'll get better at it, and have more luck in the opening. Aragorn's re-ready ability is great and will get you through a lot, co-op or solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
donal wrote:
Nicholas1024 wrote:

It was was a massacre.

Sounds very similar to my first game. I tried all four spheres, as mono-decks, and finally the spirit deck was the one I could beat the first quest with (using all 3 heroes). I kept the threat low enough to keep most enemies in the staging area, committed lots to question and slowly made progress.
I played several solo games with two players before I tried them solo, so I had a bit of an idea what to do. So I beat the first quest first time with Leadership, Spirit (very easy) and Tactics. I still have not managed to beat it with lore, having lost 3 times. Questing is difficult and attacking engaged enemies is also a problem. Every time I have played thus far I make very slow progress questing, and the enemies will not go away. I will need to think about different approaches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.