Subject: Great as a passive game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy York
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've set up a Scotland Yard board in the kitchen at my office, and we've been having a good time with it playing about a turn a day.

We get two people to play Mr X as a team, and then everyone else is welcome to move a detective when they have a spare moment.

Team X retains their record of moves, and only uses the tray to show us what tickets they've used. It's on an honor system either way, but a bit safer I think if Mr. X doesn't leave their sheet of moves out in public.

We keep a turn log sheet - one row per move, a column for Team X, and a column for each detective. Once Team X has placed a checkmark in their box, then anyone interested is welcome to move one or more detectives and record the moves (new location and mode of transportation) on the logsheet. Once team X sees that every detective has moved, they're free to move again. We've been trying for about one full round of moves a day.

The log sheet is necessary so that we can reset if someone makes a mistake or if the board is disrupted.

Leads to some fun sessions - "hey, let's go look at the board over lunch, I have some ideas about where Mr X might be". Makes it a bit harder for Mr X because we can mull over and deliberate on turns a bit more than you might do in a regular table top session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjørnar Løseth
Norway
Bergen
Hordaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic idea! If only any of my co-workers were interested in games _at all_!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Goodall
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you recording the remaining tickets for each detective - a critical part of the game?

Also, are you allowing detectives to move in any order? This becomes an issue when closing in at the end where they can get in each others way.

Anyway, great idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy York
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
We set out the tickets for each detective next to a marker for their color, so that part works just like a regular game..

We don't worry about the order that the detectives move in, so that part is slightly different than playing as a regular game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
auction_prune wrote:
We set out the tickets for each detective next to a marker for their color, so that part works just like a regular game..

We don't worry about the order that the detectives move in, so that part is slightly different than playing as a regular game.

There have been many times where I wanted to use a Subway ticket to advance but due to turn order I have to move before someone else who was already on my intended subway destination. Because I had to wait a turn for them to move first, I was frequently out of position.

Still, playing at work sounds like a lot of fun. What side usually wins?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.