5 Posts

Dungeon Lords» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A reminder that wizards sucks... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kasper Lauritzen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I just wanted to tell you a little story. A little story of horror. Of how a wizard cost me a victory.

When you start year one out with loosing exactly 0 tiles, having a goblin, a troll and a slime, then you feel AWESOME. Getting a dragon spices it up a bit more, and drawing a trap door right before year two combat makes you feel oh so more comfortable.

Plus knowing that the (Wizard 6 ***) you drew will cast Dimension gives you something to keep in mind before combat.

However, knowing one spell obviously isn't enough. I didn't want to risk anything, so i just let the party take 3 fatigue damage. And to finish off the Warrior 6, I just sent a troll. But guess what: Illusionary Adventurer. So the warrior survives! having exactly 1 hp left after fatigue due to priest 5 **...

Third round: Let's use the dragon with trap door! Guess what? Blind rage! Argle!

Fourth round I had to fight in a room with my slime and goblin. And no traps. And due to the fatigue 1 card, I could only manage to kill the wizard. So I decided to use slimes secondary attack so I didn't have to lose a room (which would be equivalent of loosing 4 points for a 2 point gain).

So there. Wizard and cleric took off. Crap fight. Because my buddy fared pretty well, not insanely so as my first round went, we ended with a tie. It was a two player game. He looked almost apolegetic because the spells whooped me so bad.

But In the end, it was a great game. I learned a lot, and I told him not to feel bad for me. It was his first game (talk about getting the hang of a game quickly by the way), but it was my fourth. I should have known better than to just hope for "the best" of the combat cards.

I had 4 exclusive titles and hall of fame. And it was still a tie? Amazing :)

So i guess the morale is: Kill that fekkin wizard. He is a pain in the BUM. Also: Spy on combat cards as often as possible ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking ahead is a great plan. Even better is to:

1. See what spell is coming.
2. Hopefully also block your opponent from seeing that spell.
3. Move up/down on evil so your opponent takes the wizard.
4. Laugh during combat when the spell goes off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauritzen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Unfortunately, oftentimes you can only really choose between a subset of the adventurers. And it was cleric 6 *** or wizard 6 ***. I just thought "how bad can he be?".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Undreren wrote:
Unfortunately, oftentimes you can only really choose between a subset of the adventurers. And it was cleric 6 *** or wizard 6 ***. I just thought "how bad can he be?".

Haha. Great line. I too have learned to fear those little spindly wimpy-looking guys. My son's favorite strategy is to try to get as many warriors as possible, since they have no special abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you have a spare gold? If you had given up the dragon in the first round to Dimensional Gate you could have done:

- Round 1 Dragon:
Warrior 1/6
Priest 3/5**
Wizard 4/6***
Lose Dragon to Dimensional Gate and get Tunnel conquered.

- Round 2 Slime and Goblin in Room with Trapdoor (-1 Gold)
Trapdoor captures Warrior
Illusionary Adventurer is summoned
Slime attacks all, dispelling Illusion
Goblin attacks Priest, captures him, and damages Wizard
No conquering from trapdoor

- Round 3 Troll takes out Wizard 2/6***, and if the spell interferes then fatigue should finish him.

Of course, losing the Dragon is unfortunate if it costs you an exclusive title, and it's probably not worth it if you had the Pandemonium (bonus points for dragons) but otherwise a heavily damaged party is often harder for magic to protect than a full health one.

The spells can certainly be nasty, and I always try to spy at least once, hopefully twice, and get the Anti-Magic Room if I know I'm getting spellcasters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.