James Robertson
msg tools
It seems it is time to acquire a few new board games.

I am hoping to harness (crowdsource?) the collective wisdom of BGG to help me with some suggestions about potential games, based on the our current likes (and loathes). To that end, I've listed out some games and how they sit with our group below.

1) Played at every session, components are showing visable wear and tear:
Seven Wonders, Power Grid, Race for the Galaxy

Played regularly, enjoyed:
Navegdor, El Grande, Condottiere

Sometimes played that are broken out for occasional enjoyment:
Shogun, Dominion

Big games that are alternately loved or loathed by different parts of the group:
Carcassone, Agricola

Recommended games should preferably support 5 players, and 6 is a definite plus.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit of a jump, but I think you should check out Medici. It's best with 6 and great with 5. It's an auction game that may work, since Power Grid has an auction component and your group loves it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial 2030 - this epic plays 6 nicely and is about 2 hours long. It features risk-like maneouvering on a whole world map, the rondel a la Navegador, and investment/negotiation positioning a la Chicago Express.

For a much shorter but similar game, perhaps Chicago Express, but not recommended with 6p. Shares some superficial aspects of Power Grid with it's auctions, map connections and player-controlled game end. About 30-60 mins to play.

Also Amun-Re, although it's only 5p, beautiful balance of auction, building, and secret missions in 2 hours.

Citadels?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Robertson
msg tools
Some nice suggestions there, thanks guys.

Medici's ability to handle 6 players makes it pretty much a given. Imperial 2030 is also looking tempting.

I've always wanted Amun-Re, maybe I will finally cave and buy it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scepter of Zavandor. Plays up to 6 (and the more the merrier), an auction game, with tech trees, and a snowballing income. So, presuming their favorite part of Power Grid isn't the map, and they might like tech trees, this should be a hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Robertson
msg tools
We are pretty happy playing games with no map to speak of (7 wonders, Race for the Galaxy etc) so that isn't a game breaker. And tech trees are always good fun :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
6 is kinda hard. I like the recommendations so far.

Get both Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game and The Resistance, one for when you have three hours, one for when you have thirty minutes. Both play great at 5 or 6. If you want to go crazy, I really recommend researching The Thing (with the expansion), as it's another "best with 5 or 6" psychological mindscrew, but in a much different way from either BSG or Resistance. But be prepared to have a whole different experience while playing a board game. It makes 7 Wonders seem like a nursery game.

Lifeboat, Dragon's Gold and I'm the Boss! are three "best with six" negotiation games. You don't really have any of those, which either means you guys hate that kind of interaction, or that you have yet to get around to games like these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.