Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luis da Ponte Alayza
Peru
Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering buying one of these three games. If you had to choose, which one would it be and why? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Rathsack
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
OVERTEXT AHHHHHHH!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
For art you can't go wrong with any of those, Menzel is awesome. I've never played Pillars but own both Stone Age and Castle. I would recommend Stone Age if you plan to play with a more casual crowd. Even though Castle is not heavy at all, Stone Age is more accessible to non-gamers in my experience. My wife doesn't like heavy, long games and likes both. She prefers Stone Age though if given a choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Franklin
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Castle for All Seasons, but of Pillars and Stone Age, I'd vote Stone Age. Pillars was good, just not great. Stone Age felt different somehow. But, maybe I'm just a sucker for dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played Castle for All Seasons, but I own both Pillars and Stone Age. I like them both though I would have to give the nod to Stone Age, it is one of my favorit games and I just really like the way it plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt FromVirginia
United States
Northern Virginia
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played Castle - can't help there.

Stone Age regularly gets table time when we feel like a brisk, challenging 75 minutes of gaming. Multiple strategies to choose from - and straight forward play. Works well with two - three - four.

Pillars is just about as good. Takes a little more time because we don't play it as frequently. The mechanics are a little more fiddly than in Stone Age, but the use of the different worker cards add more depth in my opinion.

You won't go wrong with either - perhaps the Navegador fan in you would like the more diverse and complex game play of Pillars over Stone Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Complexity in order from most to least: Pillars, Castle, Stone Age. This also corresponds roughly to replayability - but Stone Age gets extra points because it has fun with dice. All of these have excellent production values and as has been said, none are clunkers. For me, the order is this: Stone Age, Castle, Pillars. I put Pillars last because I dislike games where knowing the path to victory assures it. There's very little variation to Pillars and experience will pay off. Stone Age has lots of variation. Castle is probably the weakest of the three, but I like it because it's very fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another vote for Stone Age over Pillars. I too haven't played Castle for All Seasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis da Ponte Alayza
Peru
Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrFace wrote:
For art you can't go wrong with any of those, Menzel is awesome. I've never played Pillars but own both Stone Age and Castle. I would recommend Stone Age if you plan to play with a more casual crowd. Even though Castle is not heavy at all, Stone Age is more accessible to non-gamers in my experience. My wife doesn't like heavy, long games and likes both. She prefers Stone Age though if given a choice.

Yeah love the way all this games looks. Gotta say I consider myself a fan of Menzel's work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As another owner of Stone Age and Pillars, I'd say Stone Age all the way. It's just a game that's hard not to like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis da Ponte Alayza
Peru
Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adamw wrote:
I put Pillars last because I dislike games where knowing the path to victory assures it. There's very little variation to Pillars and experience will pay off. Stone Age has lots of variation.

Totally agree with you there.
Congratulations on Ninjato BTW, looks awesome and for what I read seems the kind of game I really enjoy. Looking forward to it. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kohlman
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Stone Age and Castle for All Seasons. They are both good games, expecially with 4, but Castle doesn't function as well with fewer players in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thad Hobson
United States
Flint
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all 3, like all 3, but Stone Age by far gets the most playing time. Pillars is nice, but it is not necessarily for the non-gamer/light-gamer crowd. Castles is nice, but perhaps not deep enough for the hard core gamers. Stone Age is likeable by everyone. Everyone who plays Stone Age at my house wants to buy a copy. Those who play the other two enjoy them, but aren't necessarily interested in buying them for themselves. As someone already said, Menzel is awesome in all three. In my book Pillars has an edge over Castle because Pillars can be expanded up to 6 players. Stone Age is also the least expensive (approx $28 wholesale).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lyear wrote:
I haven't played Castle for All Seasons, but of Pillars and Stone Age, I'd vote Stone Age. Pillars was good, just not great. Stone Age felt different somehow. But, maybe I'm just a sucker for dice.

+1

Same here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Another +1 Stone Age here. Castle for all Seasons is a really good game, which I would not drop from my collection, but everyone I've played Stone Age with has enjoyed the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just thought I'd post that not everyone is a fan of Stone Age. I don't dislike it, but I don't understand the hype at all. Nobody in our group loves the game, and so, it never gets played.

Fresco, Egizia, and Alien Frontiers are all medium weight worker placement games that we enjoy more than Stone Age. In particular, Egizia is fairly similar to Stone Age, but it's a much better game in my opinion.

Another guy in our group has Pillars, but he hasn't introduced it to me yet. He said he likes it more than Stone Age, but apparently he doesn't like it enough to bring it out when we're over at his place....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Put me in the camp of 'Stone Age is okay but I just don't get the hype' as well. Decent enough game but there's a whole host of worker placement games I'd play ahead of it every time. One of those is The Pillars of the Earth, which I really enjoy. Another is Alien Frontiers, which is just plain excellent and a much better dice based game IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marthe Syversen
Norway
Olsvik
Hordaland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi there!

I own Pillars and Stone Age. They are both two of my fave games.
I have never tried Castle, so cant comment on that one.

Even though I absolutely love both games (both are rated as 10) if you can only buy one of them, I would go for Stone Age. Why? Because I have played it with a lot of people and absolutely everyone has liked the game very much..Even my mum, who doesnt like to play anything else than trivia games, liked Stone Age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
0,07 Geek Gold
Italy
flag msg tools
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
badge
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
mbmbmbmbmb
STONE AGE It's a very addictive game and beside it's the only one I can convince my brothers to play with...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Not Pillars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel C.
United States
Deshler
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the risk of being very un-helpful I vote for Caylus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Garttmeyer
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I would just like to voice my opinion since Pillars seems to not be getting any love. EVERYONE and their mother plays Stone Age and I was never a big fan. Give me Pillars of the Earth any day over Stone Age, never played Castle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
DreadFuzzy wrote:
Put me in the camp of 'Stone Age is okay but I just don't get the hype' as well. Decent enough game but there's a whole host of worker placement games I'd play ahead of it every time.
Add me into this quickly sinking boat. It just doesn't have anything I really find interesting about board games in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafaël Theunis
Belgium
Antwerpen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
they're all greta games, but i'd go for Pillars WITH the expansion (it's really better with the expansions, even with fewer than 5 players). Stone age and Castle for all seasons are both great (Stone age is a wee bit more luck driven and Castle can be a good blue game, albeit a bit short) but if you have to purchase one of these...

You might also wanna consider its sequel, World without End, which is equally brilliant ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pillars is good, stone age is great. Dunno the other one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
I am all for Pillars and Stone Age, fun games no matter. I have just bought Castle myself, and I want to learn it very soon. It is said to be somewhat in the same category as Pillars, strategy wise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.