Subject: BIG MISTAKE! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
logan just
United States
vacaville
California
flag msg tools
i think i made a giant mistake.....i accidently bought the first edition not knowing there was a diffrence.....did i completely screw myself or can i still get all the expansions and wat not

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I recall correctly there was only 1 expansion made that was compatible with the first edition. There are a lot of minor changes made, I think someone made a list of everything that was changed, I am not sure how difficult it would be to update yours to second edition though.

I had 1st when it first came out, then got 2nd mainly because I thought it was cooler with the minis and I liked the game, but to be honest I can't remember exactly what changes were made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First edition dice are much nicer though, hold on to those!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
logan just
United States
vacaville
California
flag msg tools
ok thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
β€œIt's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a comparison:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/92440/summary-of-changes...

Unfortunately, the FFG link is dead soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know much about the first edition, but the 2nd edition rules are online at Fantasy Flight's website.

Maybe you could make it work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
You completely screwed yourself. Pretty much all of the cards changed between editions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It used a D20 too, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
justifier99 wrote:
i think i made a giant mistake.....i accidently bought the first edition not knowing there was a diffrence.....did i completely screw myself or can i still get all the expansions and wat not

You're not necessarily screwed. The first edition is a fine game that has lots of replayability even without the expansion.

With some effort and help from BGG you could probably convert your 1st edition to 2nd but nearly every card has something changed. Some nerfs to potent magical items. Some character fixes. The monsters are harder to kill (equal to the advanced option of 1st edition) and the heroes are a little tougher and more balanced (as much as they can be balanced in a game with this much luck!) There's less gold available in 2nd edition too if I remember correctly. The main difference is the switch from 1d20 to 2d10.

If you end up liking the game and plan on spending a few hundred dollars on expansions anyway, you'll probably find it worth shelling out the extra for a 2nd edition base game.

Robert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry, be happy... and read this post...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/390557/dragonlord-strang...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JC Hendee
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For my two cents, that post touting RB1 is so far off the mark for what people want today its just funny to read and that's all. Don't take a word of it as being objective about the value of RB2. It makes some good points about the superficialty of overloading glitz and components these days, but it misses entirely some of the actual improvements made to streamline RB2's mechanics for the average boardgame player. There's a reason(s) RB1 faded out and was replaced.

RB1 is still only worth trying out if already bought. But once you read up on how little it can be expanded, and the possibilities in RB2 (which is commercially fading as well right now), you'll want to move to RB2 quickly. Many of its small expansions are now out of print, and you will have to search for them as remainders in the stock of scattered game shops. The big box ones are quite exceptional, still available as in print (most), and they refresh the game in many more ways than some of the small box expansions can accomplish.

Time to re-invest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Yeah, that review is more or less justifying the unjustifiable.

Anyway you got first ed, so play that. If you really like it, sell it and get 2nd edition so you can get the expansion. Because the expansions is really where it is at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're fine with first edition. As others have said, play a few games with the base set *then* think about trading or buying second edition.

Update your trade lists. I have a second (and first) edition of Runebound I can trade. Also let us know which city you're in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.