Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently ended up with a huge pile of ASL goodies. I have a near complete set of boards, 9 giant plano boxes worth of counters covering every nationality (no Blade of Boshido sadly, the Japanese were peeled off and sold on Ebay before I got the set), a 1st ed binder with lots of extra chapters, and even some overlays and things that I haven't quite figured out what they belong to. What I didn't end up with were scenarios. My guess is the previous owner kept a separate binder that got lost over the years. Does anyone know of a resource to find either original scenario cards or just copies to play with? I'd even settle for just the bare bones info that would let me set up and play a game. I'm hoping to track down some of the original material that would have come with the first 9 modules since I'm pretty sure that matches up with the counters and boards I have now.

Thanks for any help you all can provide a budding ASL player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of scenarios are not free to download.
However, MMP's site has some of them : http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Support/ASLASLSK/tabid/64/...
I would recommend the Classic and the Provence Packs.
Otherwise, there are many Third Party Publishers who produce scenario packs - among which Schwerpunkt : http://mysite.verizon.net/resvy9ue/main.htm

Otherwise, I would advise you to contact the Ebay guy who sold you his gear, to see if he could send you the missing scenarios.

There also is a very nice site which explains all you need about what has been published in the ASL world : http://www.desperationmorale.com/

Now, if you are a beginner - as you seem to be - try to find an experimented opponent near to your place or install the VASSAL program and the ASL module, so you can play online or by email with about any player in the World.
Vassal site :[url] http://www.vassalengine.org/[/url]
VASL here : http://www.advancedsquadleader.net/index.php/VASL_mods

Hope that helped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You live in the Mecca of ASL. You should be able to find some face to face there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See! Cleveland is good for something!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are a newbie, as it sounds the Classic scenarios (available for free download as Robin said) are very good to get your feet wet. If you like it you can trace more scenarios.

If it is your first time with ASL I would buy ASLSK 1 (or anyone of them) for 10-15 bucks, it is the best introduction you can get (apart from a good teacher).

Vassal is your friend, learn how to use it and don't look back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ASL Scenario Archive has information about practically every ASL scenario: http://www.aslscenarioarchive.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark_WH wrote:
The ASL Scenario Archive has information about practically every ASL scenario: http://www.aslscenarioarchive.com/

However, nothing that violates copywrite or enables you to play them....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Accept your fate - you are the chosen one who will concoct the DYO scenario generator matrix, complete with boards, VC & OBs.

We will call you "Newbeo".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, there was a ASL DYO scenario generator (boards and VCs, OB still determined per section H of the rulebook) in the Avalon Hill General. Volume 24, issue 1.

I did see CD versions of volumes 1 thru 32 of the General out on ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Mr shameless-self-promoter (IIRC you're a co-author), I am well aware of it, appreciate it muchly and have used it a few times - thanks to you and CJK for doing it. Once SASL comes along, you can see how it was already forming in Charlie's noggin'. Now, when are you going to update it with new map tables, etc.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Ask and yee shall receive. That's so much for the help everyone has given so far.

I know a few guys in the area who play or have played ASL. My story is basically that I'm a huge Combat Commander fan who played old SPI and Avalon hill titles back in the day (though never ASL). I had an opportunity to trade for a guy's ASL collection at Origins a few weeks back thinking there's no better way to learn to swim than to dive right in. And worst comes to worst, if ASL isn't for me, I can probably just trade or sell the collection and get my money's worth so to speak. Over the last few days I started trying to sort it and figure out what's there and what I need to pick up to get started. Which led to my scenarios question since outside of some photocopied fan designs and the kampfgruppe peiper historical stuff, there doesn't seem to be anything else.

I'll probably end up picking up the ASLSK and playing that first, but I'd also love to get my hands on the original scenarios since I have the OB to play nearly anything. The thing I'm worried about going forward is spending time "accidentally" playing fan created scenarios which may or may not have been playtested/balanced/etc and getting a sour impression of the game. As of right now, it'll be a few weeks before I can get into a chair across from anyone, so I was using the solo time to start sorting and at least collapsing everything into more usable space (the original plano boxes are so huge I can't physically carry everything).

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming! I'm surprised at this point there isn't a solid wiki for all things ASL. Is it a copyright issue or just an issue of no one having done the arcane research and collecting to bring it all together in one place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have chapter K among the rules you bought?
It is a nice way to discover the basics of the rules.

Otherwise, purchasing one of the Starter Kits would be a good idea - as already said in a preceding post. Each SK is a stand alone and you don't need the preceding ones to be able to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:

Otherwise, purchasing one of the Starter Kits would be a good idea - as already said in a preceding post. Each SK is a stand alone and you don't need the preceding ones to be able to play it.

Looks like no chapter K.

What's the big difference between the different starter kits?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Armstrong
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:
Robin wrote:

Looks like no chapter K.

What's the big difference between the different starter kits?

SK1 only has Infantry
SK2 has Guns as well
SK3 has Inf, Guns and Vehicles
SKEP1 is similar to SK3 in content, though more varied in terms of nationalities.

All are self-contained.

Geekmail me about Ch K...something might be arranged.

S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Nathan Ehlers wrote:
The thing I'm worried about going forward is spending time "accidentally" playing fan created scenarios which may or may not have been playtested/balanced/etc and getting a sour impression of the game.

The free scenarios in the Classic Collection from MMP (mentioned earlier) are excellent. These will get you started, and will keep you busy for a long time. Go to:

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Support/ASLASLSK/tabid/64/...

and click on "Scenarios from ASL Classic" to download them.

Nathan Ehlers wrote:
I'm surprised at this point there isn't a solid wiki for all things ASL. Is it a copyright issue or just an issue of no one having done the arcane research and collecting to bring it all together in one place?

There are a number of ASL wiki sites out there. Here are two of the more popular ones:

http://www.aslwebdex.net/wiki/index.php?title=ASLWebDexWiki

http://www.advancedsquadleader.net/index.php/Main_Page

and the Texas ASL Club's web site has an extensive download section for ASL material:

http://texas-asl.com/

There are also a lot of useful downloads right here on BGG, and over on the GameSquad.com ASL Forums.

Copyright is a sticky issue for commercially produced scenarios, which is why you don't have a dozen players offering to send you photocopies/scans of the scenarios that you are missing. The free VASL computer program, that is used to play ASL online or via PBEM, comes with everything needed to play... except the rules and the scenarios. Whenever someone posts a message asking for copies of his "missing" scenarios, the fear is that he could just be a freeloader/pirate looking to play via VASL without actually buying any of the ASL modules.

Your best chance to get the scenarios you are missing is to find a local ASL player and let him see that you actually own what you say you own. Once he's convinced that you do own certain modules, he'll probably be willing to supply you with photocopies of your missing scenarios from those modules.

Nathan Ehlers wrote:
Looks like no chapter K.

Chapter K can be useful, and its multi-level LOS course was particularly helpful to me. But it's written in a style that really annoys some people.

If you need some help getting up to speed, you may find the ASLSK tutorials here on BGG useful. These don't cover the full ASL rules, but they do cover the basics that are used all the time even in full ASL. The first one is found here:

An ASLSK Tutorial (Part 1)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/157922/an-aslsk-tutorial...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for adding to my reading list Jay!

Two questions for you:

1) How does VASL work if it doesn't have rules/scenarios? Is it just like a free form java or flash plateform that relies on the players following the rules and rolling their own dice?
2) Can you say more about why Chapter K is "annoying" for people? Is it just a matter of being written in a war gaming outline or is there more to it?
2a) Would you recommend an ASL SK over Chapter K (or possibly just do both)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Nathan Ehlers wrote:
1) How does VASL work if it doesn't have rules/scenarios? Is it just like a free form java or flash plateform that relies on the players following the rules and rolling their own dice?

Yes. VASL is a Java program that provides the maps, map overlays, and counters for all of the official AH/MMP ASL Modules (even the ones that are long out-of-print), and many of the third party modules as well. But it does not have any AI, nor does it enforce the rules in any way.

It is simply a virtual gameboard: you place and move the counters, roll the dice and look up the results on different tables, and add the appropriate status markers just as you would if you were playing a FTF game with a real board & counters. Both players will need a copy of the rules and the scenario that is being played.

Nathan Ehlers wrote:
2) Can you say more about why Chapter K is "annoying" for people? Is it just a matter of being written in a war gaming outline or is there more to it?

It's written as if you were being instructed by a actual Drill Sergeant in basic training. An example:

"FALL IN! Line up with your toes touching that white line. You, get rid of that gum! You, suck in that gut! Chin up, shoulders back, eyes straight ahead. Try and look a little like soldiers. Alright – at ease."

It goes on like that for over 50 tedious pages. yuk

Your mileage may vary, of course, but, personally, when I was learning, I would have cheerfully throttled the author after only about two pages! It's a very useful document written in a horribly campy style.

Nathan Ehlers wrote:
2a) Would you recommend an ASL SK over Chapter K (or possibly just do both)?

If you don't have a local player to teach you, then Chapter K will probably be necessary for some of the things that ASLSK doesn't cover (like multi-level LOS).

Starting with one of the Starter Kits will certainly be much easier, but it is possible to jump into the deep end and just learn full ASL right from the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved the writing style of chapter K!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Armstrong
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richfam wrote:
It's a very useful document written in a horribly campy style.

This one sentence nails it perfectly, IMO. I can't stand any of the "roleplaying" style ASL writing. It is all grating in the extreme and ends up taking twice as many words as are needed. gulp

S
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem with chapter K's style : you pull out the map and counters and follow the text.
The dialogs between the soldiers and the sarge open to good questions about how the rules work.
YMMV, JMO, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Your mileage may vary, of course, but, personally, when I was learning, I would have cheerfully throttled the author after only about two pages! It's a very useful document written in a horribly campy style.

I also found the style irritating, but I did find easier to read and understand than the dry rules when I was first starting out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dachda
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some more links for free legal scenarios:

From the View From the Trenches website:

http://www.vftt.co.uk/files/le_franc_tireur.pdf - the first 12 scenarios by Le Franc Tireur

http://www.vftt.co.uk/files/tactiques.pdf - a 4MB PDF file containing the 74 scenarios from now defunct French ASL 'zine Tactiques, translated into English by the also defunct Coastal Fortress Gaming Group.

The public domain ASLUG scenarios are all here now: http://underworld.fortunecity.com/postal/598/aslwebdex/aslug...

At the MMP website you can download the scenarios for Action Pack 1, the Provence Pack, the ASL Classic (already mentioned to you above) and the Scenarios from Deluxe ASL Module 1: "Streets of Fire" Find them at: http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Support/ASLASLSK/tabid/64/...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.