Popular Tags: [View All]
Sacha Spinks
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just posted this variant in the files section. We have found that it works great with Cities and Knights as well. Let me know your opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Baumer
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe forcing players to place both initial settlements on the same isle is a VERY BAD idea. Some of the islands are bound to be better (say, nice ore plus grain numbers, or a nice wood/clay/sheep distribution).

The first player has a huge advantage, the last player will get a crappy island (who needs a 6 sheep, and a 9 and a 5 grain hex when all other islands are decent in that as well?).

Allow players to place anywhere, and you've got a decent scenario.

Sven. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sacha Spinks
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Sven,

You're probably right. I tried to make the islands reasonably balanced for that reason, it seemed to work the few times we played it. But will have to try it the other way and see.

One things for sure it's a resource fest. The pirate sure gets a workout.

Anyway please keep adding your suggestions so I can fine tune it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ivar T.
Norway
Ålesund
Møre og Romsdal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a good scenario!

Questions:
(The question of starting on 1 island and balance has been asked)
I guess the distance rule applies also for the pirate island?
I guess you still have the card limit when rolling a 7?
When do you get resources from the pirate island? (When you build or when the roll is right (5 or 9)?)

I have not playtested this, so I wonder how huge is the advantage of building on the pirate island?
(I guess it is the leading player that reaches the pirate island first and then (hopefully) gets a boost to win the game).
The buildings on the pirate island will control two special 2:1 harbours each. This is a change to the original game, where this is not allowed (I think). But this is a custom scenario, so it is completely fine with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ivar T.
Norway
Ålesund
Møre og Romsdal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PS: The pirate acts more like a privateer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sacha Spinks
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In answer to the previous questions:

Yes we still play with the distance rule on the Pirate's Isle.

Card limit still exists. The resources seem to come thick and fast. So we were considering including the city wall option from Cities and Knights. Although we mostly play with Cities and Knights anyway.

You claim resources from the Pirate's Isle after you have built there, whenever a 5 or 9 gets rolled, just the same as any other hex.

We have found that the Pirate's Isle generally doesn't come into play until towards the end of the game. Generally only two people at the most make it out there, and therefore the advantages it gives don't make it too one sided. And yes the payout for building on a volcano is two ports. (Just a little incentive to get people sailing.)

Give it a playtest and let me know how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.