Popular Tags: [View All]
Miro Huovinen
Finland
flag msg tools
They can't stop us, let 'em try!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See the S1-1 here

I actually completed this run yesterday after finishing the report of the S1-1, but didn't feel like writing a report then. So now let's delve into the second game I played right after the first.

Game: Solo Second Test Run (S1-2).
Players: 4 Androids puppet mastered by me.
Threat Trajectories: Red 10, White 12, Blue 15, Int. 16.

Action phase:

This time I started moving the figures and power right away to keep track of what I had done already. This cut into the already tight schedule and made my decisions even more hasty. The game starts nicely with tossing a T+1 Swarm into the White track. I decided to leave one andrdoid into main cannons to deal with it. Two androids went to Red to deal with T+2 Kamikaze that seemed to pose no threat as soon as I could get both Red cannons aimed at it. The last android went to Upper Blue section to deal with the still unknown threat. Thus ended the first phase, with threats well under control, but with two wasted actions as I couldn't get them to the Blue sector's android fast enough.

The second phase dropped a T+4 Scout into the Blue track, which was quite a disappointment since the lack of other threats rendered its abilities useless and it couldn't hit Z even if I let it fly. Well I gathered everyone to the lower deck since the effective weapons were there. Maybe the complete lack of power in main reactor was also a reason..

Resolution phase:

This time I had no mouse wiggling, which essentially freed one android to cover the blue sector quickly... Which ironically never needed covering in the first phase (or the second for that matter). Things for the first three rounds went smoothly with both threats cleared as planned.

In the second phase I had two androids shoot the Scout with all we've got and the poor thingie was quickly dropped from the sky with me ending up victorious with all threats destroyed and only one point of shield damage from the Swarm.

Conclusion:

This game was completely different from the first one. It did have the panicky feeling at first, but then the dust settled and I had nothing to contest myself with. It felt like an Arkham Horror game where you wait for a gate to open to have something to do. Also this time I was familiar with some mechanics and drew only yellow threats, one of which was countered by its own ability.. Luckily the next one seems to have serious threats in store for me, so maybe they'll give me some headache.

I'm still trying to grasp the concept of interceptors.. Maybe there's a threat specifically designed for them, but they seem a bit weak to be used.. But that I can't really say until I've used them at least once. Oh, and don't get me wrong, I haven't nearly given up with this game. I really, really want to see what's coming up in the serious and internal threats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Threats that really need interceptors aren't around until the expansion

The test runs really are meant to be an introduction and tutorial. The way things sound, you might be better served by attempting a full mission, you might well be ready for it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miro Huovinen
Finland
flag msg tools
They can't stop us, let 'em try!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe that's the case. I'd just love to experience through each different mission, including the trainings. That could be silly, though, because of the game design. I think I'll jump straight into the first mission next.

Thanks for the encouragement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WORELOF PENDRAGON
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you find the game enjoyable as a solo game? I want to get this and the xpansion ,but my gaming group is only around on the weekends.So i would probably play solo during the week.Just interested in your take on how fun you find the solo aspect of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Grey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gethar wrote:
This game was completely different from the first one. It did have the panicky feeling at first, but then the dust settled and I had nothing to contest myself with. It felt like an Arkham Horror game where you wait for a gate to open to have something to do. Also this time I was familiar with some mechanics and drew only yellow threats, one of which was countered by its own ability.. Luckily the next one seems to have serious threats in store for me, so maybe they'll give me some headache.

The opening missions are like that to give players plenty of time to talk to each other (in multiplayer) or think things through (for solitaire). I think you'll have your hands full as you progress through to actual missions. The simulations slowly ramp up the difficulty, if you think you're ready for tougher things you may want to try skipping some (doing only the remaining even numbered simulations for example.)

Personally I found internal threats to be the big headache in solo play, but enjoy the new experience of serious threats.

Gethar wrote:

I'm still trying to grasp the concept of interceptors.. Maybe there's a threat specifically designed for them, but they seem a bit weak to be used.. But that I can't really say until I've used them at least once.

I tend to use them as an emergency cleanup team. Most of the time everything gets blown out of space with laser cannons the way nature intended, but occaisionally we screw up and something survives. (Usually because someone wasn't paying attention and we ran out of power for that cannon.) Having someone prowling around in the interceptors for the last 5 rounds or so helps deal with any stragglers that didn't quite get killed. With luck, there's nothing else within range one, and you hit it for enough previously that 3 damage will be enough to take it down. (Having someone in the engine room help with the pulse cannon and whatever energy is left in the reactor is nice too.)

Gethar wrote:

Oh, and don't get me wrong, I haven't nearly given up with this game. I really, really want to see what's coming up in the serious and internal threats!

It's a lot of fun, but a lot more hectic. You'll see...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Lange
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report. You have been using the test runs in a slightly different way than intended by the designers, which is ok of course. Normally you have predefined threats there. It's really only meant to be an introduction, although I have seen new groups fail on that first test run already twice, since they were still learning the rules. After that they have actually performed quite well, even with the increasing difficulty of the simulations.

I have found the test runs and simulations, and especially their sequence, to be very well designed as a tutorial, the steady introduction of new threats / more difficult threats together with the new possibilities to counter them is very well made IMO.

Of course you can also use the test runs as short mission tracks, draw threats instead of using the predefined ones, and even use yellow threats, as you have been doing. But to check for yourself if you are ready for the next level of simulation or even for a proper mission, I think it's better to stick to the design concept of test runs, simulations and advanced simulations.

For example, if you do the first simulation (no internal threats, and no use of battle bots yet, so also no use of interceptors, only white threats) and you easily master it, then simply go to the first advanced simulation instead of also playing through the second and third simulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.