Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Ferguson
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the "Plant" section of the rules it says: "Each player must plant 1 grape card during each round up to 3 plants. After accumulating 3 plants, a player may elect to skip the planting phase. No vineyard may grow more than 5 plants at any one time."

So... Is the limit 3 or 5? In the videos it looks like 3 plants, but then sometimes I see 5 plants. Why would I want to elect to skip the planting phase?

What am I not reading correctly?

Thanks for the beautiful and very wife-friendly game... I think when we get this cleared up, we'll be on our way to a great card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it you MUST plant a grape each turn in which you don't start the turn with at least 3 plants already in front of you. Once you have 3 or more plants in front of you then planting isn't a requirement but an option. When you get to 5 plants in front of you then you cannot plant a 6th plant. You must dig one vine up during the "Harvest" phase to make room for another at that point.

The maximum number of vines is 5 at any one time, but you MUST plant if you have less than 3 planted. Of course I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to plant with only 2 vines, you need them to win and the more the better. I'm sure Sandeep or Dave can clarify if this is incorrect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave haslam
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct. You must plant if you have less than 3 vines. You can choose to not plant if you have more than 3 vines. You cannot have more than 5 vines planted at a time.

As for why you may want to postpone planting, this usually happens if you have a length 1-2 vine that you want to plant just as the king arrives. If you are primarily planting longer vines you will likely plant every turn. Please let us know if you have more questions. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Ferguson
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! Thanks for the quick answer too. My wife and I are just about to start a game and there the answer is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification. This rule wasn't immediately clear at first. The biggest rule problem is the section about Discarding. See http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7549369.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.