Popular Tags: [View All]
Noah Sager
United States
Sebastopol
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game went over great with my group of 4 semi-experienced gamers. First play for all of us.

Unfortunately, I totally ruined the game by not understanding the fire rule properly.

Early in the game, I cheaply got all the firemen. When the first fire hit, I consulted the rulebook to see how fires worked. The way I read it was this:

"When a fire strikes, the person win the highest fireman sum gains that sum as bonus points. The person with the least loses that same sum."

I reread it 3 times because while I knew firemen were important, I didn't realize they could actually gain you so many points!

So the game went on, with everyone trying hard to keep the firemen away from me and me spending tons of coin on them. Throughout, I won every fire and after the 4th fire, I was at 32 points from fires alone.

I won the game with 35 points.

After, another player read the fire rule and realized I had completely misread it. You only receive the points on the fire card.

The game was done and my rule misread totally bongled the score. Because of the game dynamics, we now had no idea who actually won.

But this game is really good. So good, that even with the rule mixup, everyone said they liked it and wanted to play again sometime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
"When a fire strikes, the person win the highest fireman sum gains that sum as bonus points. The person with the least loses that same sum."

OMG! shake

After the first fire you get 1 point if you are ahead in firemen. After the 2nd you get 2 points. So one player can get at most 10 points with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Sager
United States
Sebastopol
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PauloSantoro wrote:

OMG! shake

After the first fire you get 1 point if you are ahead in firemen. After the 2nd you get 2 points. So one player can get at most 10 points with them.

Yeah. Yeah...

It was my worst rule mis-read ever.

Amazingly enough, we still had fun with the game so broken by my mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PauloSantoro wrote:

OMG! shake

Wow! I traded this game away because I, somehow, read the fire rules the same way. OOPS!!! I'm noticing more and more misses by me in rule-reading and I'm starting to get concerned about how I'm missing details lately... not good.

Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Toussaint
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
After all it's not called "The Firemen of Hamburg".

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.