Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Having watched part of a game, and glancing through the rules, I didn't see why this game wouldn't work with just 2 players. I see that 2 voters have said it is "recommended" with 2, while 3 have said "not recommended".

I would love to hear why it doesn't work with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's designed for 3-6 players... It's a bidding game and would be very poor with 2 players unless other rules were adapted (i.e. each player has two hotels, or there's a dummy player, etc.). I believe there are some 2 player variants in the files section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it is a bidding game, it is unusual in 2 ways (based on my limited understanding):
1. There are benefits to being the lowest bidder, as well as the highest
2. You can only bid each value once, and must bid each value once (so you can't just bid 1, 1, 1, 1 the whole game).

Both of those aspects should serve to make the 2-player bidding "less bad", at least. It would also be easy to add a simple random third bidder to mess things up a bit.

I'll check the files section now. Thanks.

EDIT: Didn't see any variants (2p or otherwise) posted as files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is among only 3 pages of posts, easy to find:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/522189/2-players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad8r wrote:
This thread is among only 3 pages of posts, easy to find:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/522189/2-players

Thanks. I looked under variants and general, but didn't think to look in rules.

The "2 hotels" variant is of no interest to me. The dummy variant sounds good. Only one lukewarm response to it, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this last night with 3. I could be missing something, but you could play this with two without any modification, I believe. Arguably, it might get even more strategic and less random at two...not sure. I'd give it a shot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it with two. Whatever you don't like in this game could be very easily houseruled and I doubt it would hurt the game much. Very nice bones. Great theme. Great art. Cheap. 12 at Miniature Market. 16 at Amazon? I don't think the basic rules are broken. Just use the 3 player rules, but I enjoy a lot of bidding games with two. Particularly if they are just bid once simulataneously: (Hotel Samoa). Or you bid first and then I decide whether to pay one more: (Fairy Land) or (Industrial Waste). Yeah I've never felt like group bidding was better, but then again, I didn't find group gaming more enjoyable than two player gaming. I prefer a house rule to another person. I like gaming with people I know and already care about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought the game ($12 including shipping through Amazon), no brainer. I just read the rules and I agree with Clyde, that I don't thimk the two player game needs any modifications. I'll play it a couple of times and report back.

Update: Played two 2p games and it worked just fine in my opinion. The bidding, like in almost every bidding game, would obviously become more tense with more people. But we found it very strategic and it didn't feel clunky or unnatural. The game is super good imo. Can't wait to play with more players. I did mess up the build rule and kept building after round 9. However, I read a thread on here where the designer says that the rule was basically put in place to make it easy for the players, since it's not smart to build more things during the last two rounds. Sounds like something optional, and not game breaking. Imo, I could see some benefit in building something that would be covenient to me during the last two rounds. Any thoughts from anyone ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.