Popular Tags: [View All]
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Tonight, I could have been gaming with a good bunch of folks. Instead, I had to work late---and probably will through October.

When I'm not working late, I'm very busy running backup for my wife and our new 2-month-old.

Suffice to say, I'm not getting to play games like I would like.

However, quarriors looks way sweet and I likes me some promotional cards.

Poll
You've got 30% unplayed, and there's not a chance that you're going to play a game in the next 4-5 months. Preorder quarriors or not?
Yes
No
      78 answers
Poll created by bippi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, preorder the game and get the promotional cards. I cannot tell you how many times I miss chances like this because I think, "Oh, I have enough games right now that are unplayed." 90% of the time I regret it, because I eventually WILL get the game, and by then the promos are going for $20 on eBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I think of all the other things that I could buy, but I don't know they exist to miss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask yourself: has any other Dominion clone been worth preordering due to hype? Answer is probably going to be no, but if not, then consider preorder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dude
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spend the money on Battleship Galaxies instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I did only because the game doesn't seem like it comes with a huge amount of cards to begin with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
djbrickhaus wrote:
Spend the money on Battleship Galaxies instead.

Whoa?

What the hell is with this 'either or' crap?

Get both.

Skip the stuff that doesn't matter. Food, water, mortgage, gas.

But get both games.

Priorities, people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
No. Be patient instead and wait to see if the reviews tell a good story. And usually promotional stuff is just to get you to buy and doesn't add any value, just a marketing gimmick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bess A.
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you get to try it yet? I got to try it at Origins and it was way sweet. We've preordered it.

However, I wouldn't let promotional cards be your deciding factor. The box appears to come with a lot of cards, and you might be able to proxy the promo cards if you really loved it. In the demo I was at, it didn't appear that the cards needed to be truly randomized, because like Dominion kingdom cards, the cards go in a tableau that is accessible to all. But it is the color-matching dice that are actually randomized for each player.

However, if you like deck-building games, dice-fest games, and custom dice, this is probably a pretty sure bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
One thing with the dominion promos, is that now with all the expansions, are you really going to notice missing the black market or stash cards?

Except with this. I looked at the wizkids site for the promos, and it was in that fuzzy grey area where it might be worth it for play value, and it might not.

BUT, they're the only expansion now...

Poll
Expansion potential of this game...
It's going to be standalone for life.
They're most likely going to do an expansion in a year or two.
They're most likely going to do an expansion quickly.
They're already printing an expansion.
      19 answers
Poll created by bippi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bess A.
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
One thing with the dominion promos, is that now with all the expansions, are you really going to notice missing the black market or stash cards?

Except with this. I looked at the wizkids site for the promos, and it was in that fuzzy grey area where it might be worth it for play value, and it might not.

BUT, they're the only expansion now...
As with the new WizKids/Heroclix board game Star Trek: Expeditions, I predict that this will be a big seller that will generate at least a couple of expansions.

Both generated a lot of buzz at Origins and both seemed to hit a high note of excellent production, fairly reasonable price (considering all the custom dice in Quarriors), and clever/unique twists on well-loved mechanics.

On the other hand, if you are excited enough to be concerned about whether the promo will be the only expansion... I think you already have your answer! Just go for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no games that I would preorder. I have time to wait and play other games while waiting for my FLGS to get the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
LegoRick wrote:
90% of the time I regret it, because I eventually WILL get the game, and by then the promos are going for $20 on eBay.
What game card promos have gone for $20 on eBay? Seriously, I don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea what promotional cards is but voted no simply because maybe it will help with more reviews of it.

Do as you please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
fightcitymayor wrote:
LegoRick wrote:
90% of the time I regret it, because I eventually WILL get the game, and by then the promos are going for $20 on eBay.
What game card promos have gone for $20 on eBay? Seriously, I don't know.

The leaders of smallworld is going for $50-$75.

I'd honestly say $20 is about right, if maybe a little conservative if this game is as big as I think it's going to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.