Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Ames
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I will be traveling to Nova Scotia at the end of September and am wondering if anyone could recommend a game store or two in or around the Halifax area.

While I'm at it, does anyone have any recommendations for bookstores, restaurants, bars, or general attractions in Nova Scotia? We're staying in Halifax for three days and have a rental car, so driving a couple of hours isn't out of the question. We're not familiar with the area and are currently in the process of planning what to do when we get up there, so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shawn Woods does a great job maintaining this Canadian Retailer directory:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/39039/item/1468421#ite...

Also, I am a transplanted Maritimer who often gets asked by friends and family for recommendations for things to see and do in Nova Scotia. To that end, I created a Google Map with locations and descriptions. Hope you find it helpful...
http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=205473938085375419964.000...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
PS. Have a great trip!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kinsman
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha ... Now there's something I wasn't expecting to see ...

Well, options aren't outstanding, but my personal FLGS is Monster Comic Lounge. They're located near the south-end of Gottingen St. and the owner, Mike, is an excellent guy to deal with. They have the best selection in town, so there's that too.

The only alternatives I'm aware of are our local Strange Adventures (I don't recall the street it's on, but they're very near the Citadel), which I haven't been into for a while, and Quantum Frontier at the far end of Robie St., which isn't bad, actually. I guess the main difference is that Mike owns and runs Monster, plus his prices tend to be better, whereas QF is more just the typical 'hobby-shop-storefront'.

If you have the time, all three could easily be checked out. It's not like Halifax is a huge place or anything. ^_^

[Edit]
Actually, regarding your general input, I can probably recommend restaurants, but it's helpful to know what you guys like. There is at least some awesome variety around here.
General attractions I'm a bit worse for. Sadly I haven't had the most chances to 'get out there' myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ames
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Ha ... Now there's something I wasn't expecting to see ...

What were you not expecting to see?

Quote:
Actually, regarding your general input, I can probably recommend restaurants, but it's helpful to know what you guys like. There is at least some awesome variety around here.

As for restaurants and bar preferences go, we'd be up for anything.

Bixby, thanks for the links. I'm sure it will help us in planning our trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brad:

Feel free to ask away if there is anymore info you would like. I lived for 20+ in Nova Scotia and explored much of it. Wonderful part of the world.

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I spent our honeymoon in Halifax 10 years ago - it's a beautiful city with fantastic scenery and stuff to do. I don't think I went to any game stores while there though. Would love to go back some day.

Oh, and there's a really good Indian restaurant in a big white house, I think on the western side of the city. Can't remember the name, but if you come across it, it's excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kinsman
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anrkist Pengwin wrote:
What were you not expecting to see?

Board game referrals, not input on NS/Halifax. ^_^

Quote:
Oh, and there's a really good Indian restaurant in a big white house, I think on the western side of the city. Can't remember the name, but if you come across it, it's excellent.

This is probably the Taj Mahal, which burned down a few years ago. It's back up and in the same place, but the building is a bit different and, admittedly, still somewhat under construction (as of the last time I went anyway). They do excellent Indian food though, yes.

As far as 'anything goes', my personal favourite is It's All Greek To Me on Quinpool Dr. Probably the best greek in the city, nice place, very reasonable prices. Website
Morris East is a great little place on Morris St. that does a number of interesting salads and pizzas regularly. Website

Otherwise, you can do what I do and use The Coast to look up restaurants. Website
You can sort by food type, price range, location, among a number of other things. Typically there are reviews as well. It's a good list, really.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.