United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmb
8.28.11 EDIT: We have been using this pretty much exclusively. It's very good, and we recommend that you use it in your games as well.

Emissary of War is a variant used for selecting the first player in a game of Omen: A Reign of War. It offers a thematic solution for choosing the first player, as well as a bit of extra strategy. If you’re looking for a new way to determine the start player, feel free to use this variant in any or all of your games of Omen: A Reign of War!

Set up the game as normal, with each player drawing 4 cards and gaining 4 coins. Next, each player selects one (1) Unit card from his hand and places it face down; this is the player’s Emissary. Once each player has placed a face down card, all Emissaries are revealed.

The Cost, Offering, and Strength Values of each Emissary are combined. The player whose Emissary has the greatest combined value is the First Player for the game. In the event of a tie, the Emissary with the highest Strength Value breaks the tie. If a tie still exists, the oldest player is the First Player.

The First Player moves his Emissary card to the discard pile. The other player returns his Emissary card to his hand.

The First Player receives only 2 Wealth Actions during his first turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marie
United States
Cleveland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it. I'm going to try it out tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh. I like. I'll try this as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
Losing a card to start (along with receiving one less action) should satisfy concerns about first player advantage. Nice addition. I'll start using this variant from here on out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j clowdus
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmb
We have been using this pretty much exclusively. It's very good, and we recommend that you use it in your games as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christi K
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this variant included in the latest version from 2018?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clmdvd wrote:
Is this variant included in the latest version from 2018?

Yes, it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.