Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a gaming group that fluctuates typically between 4-6 players. I also just got a decktet. I'm looking for suggestions on games that work well with these numbers of players, ideally the 'best' for each number.

I know the wiki has a huge list of games, but I'd like a little help separating the wheat from the chaff.

My group's tastes are fairly diverse, so I wouldn't place any arbitrary restrictions...

So far, I've got chicane (specifically, floating partners) that looks like a lot of fun for 4. Any more suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Goblin Market is among my favorite Decktet games for a larger crowd, but for 5-6 I think it requires the use of two decks [to provide enough auctions to go around].

I suppose I'd be selling myself short if I didn't pimp my own game, Corundum Conundrum, which I think is a rather interesting 4p-only partnership game for Decktet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
Goblin Market is among my favorite Decktet games for a larger crowd, but for 5-6 I think it requires the use of two decks [to provide enough auctions to go around].

I suppose I'd be selling myself short if I didn't pimp my own game, Corundum Conundrum, which I think is a rather interesting 4p-only partnership game for Decktet.

Hmm, that's annoying. Just printed out the rules for Goblin Market, since I'm a big fan of auctions, and I didn't notice anything suggesting a double deck for more players.

Glad to hear it's worth looking into, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Hmm, that's annoying. Just printed out the rules for Goblin Market, since I'm a big fan of auctions, and I didn't notice anything suggesting a double deck for more players.

It's not a necessity and not the designer's intention or preference. It's just the way I think the game works best. All it does is lengthen the game, which gives players a bit more room to maneuver strategically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just printed out Turtle Soup as well. Big fan of press your luck, and it sounds a lot like Diamant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Partly because the deck starts to be spread thin, there aren't too many Decktet games for six players.

Everything that's been mentioned seems like a good idea. With 4 or 5 players, you might also consider Thricewise and (if you have the Decktet Book) Hermit.

Thricewise is better with more players than with fewer, because it increases the chances that two players will play the same rank and have their plays deferred to a later round. When this happens to you, it gives you the chance for a kind of combo play in which you lay down several cards at once.

Something that wasn't part of earlier rules: Thricewise with 5 players should start with six cards in a 2x3 block rather than four cards in a 2x2 block.

Another possibility for up to 5 players is Gasp! It's much looser than Chicane, so the difference is a matter of taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg J
Canada
Richmond Hill
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of good stuff already posted above.

You could check PD Magnus' Geeklist for inspiration:

My favourite Decktet games, by number of players (Feb 2010)

Unfortunately, I've only played my own designs with 4 or 5 players, so can only comment on these. Gasp! and Shed have gone over well with my friends. You could read my session reports or PD's reviews of both games (in their forums) to see if they might interest you & your group.

Conundrum, Ascend, and Double Knot are all games I'm eager to try with 4. I'm sure there are other obvious ones that I'm forgetting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Ascend (4p) and Double Knot (4p-5p) are good options (promotion for my own games here). The first is a climbing game, the second a trick-taking game. Both are very well received.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My game, Dectana, supports 4 and 5 players, and requires two decktets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.