Isaiah Mackler
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all!
I've played a lot of the base set and eastern front. Then about a year back, I got Pacific, Terrain and Air Pack. At Christmas, I got Med and Campaign book. But since getting so much in such a short period (and adopting a baby!), I've kind of been daunted where to restart.I have scores of scenarios and hundreds of tiles/badges, etc. and kind of got overwhelmed. How do you suggest I re-immerse, especially when I can only find someone to play every couple weeks?
Do you recommend...
A) I play through the various expansions in order of publication.
B) Jump to the Air Pack book and play all the expansions listed there? (Does that include the Mediterranean expansions?) If so, should I go ahead and play with the air pack rules?
C) Play through the campaign book.
Thanks for any advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Paul
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
man lying down on job voluntarily
mbmbmbmbmb
imackler wrote:
Hey all!
I've played a lot of the base set and eastern front. Then about a year back, I got Pacific, Terrain and Air Pack. At Christmas, I got Med and Campaign book. But since getting so much in such a short period (and adopting a baby!), I've kind of been daunted where to restart.I have scores of scenarios and hundreds of tiles/badges, etc. and kind of got overwhelmed. How do you suggest I re-immerse, especially when I can only find someone to play every couple weeks?
Do you recommend...
A) I play through the various expansions in order of publication.
B) Jump to the Air Pack book and play all the expansions listed there? (Does that include the Mediterranean expansions?) If so, should I go ahead and play with the air pack rules?
C) Play through the campaign book.
Thanks for any advice!

My advice is to pack it all up and send it to me. I'll test out the best way to play through them, and send it all back in a couple of years...

I only have the base game, and the terrain pack, so take what I say with a grain of salt. My understanding is that the air pack changes the rules, so it's almost like two games if you play through everything without the air pack and then play it with it.

Also, there are a ton of scenarios posted online, and with all your stuff you may be able to play through them in historical order, which might be fun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play through them in whatever order appeals to you. For ease of assimilating new rules, it may be worth playing a few scenarios in each pack, but I don't think you need to play all the scenarios in each book in order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
I see three options to you in how to play:

1. Play each expansion pack separately. This is how they were initially meant to be played. Eastern, Pacific, and Mediterranean can all be played solo. These are the first editions of all the expansions. Pacific and Mediterranean include optional Terrain Pack additions.
2. Play with the Air Pack. These present the second edition campaign and rules for Eastern and Pacific and utilize the Terrain Pack. Mediterranean should have rules for incorporating the Air Pack into its play.
3. Play with the Campaign Book (Vol. 1). This is the third edition campaigns and rules. It takes into account the Terrain Pack and Air Pack, though it also favors Overlord scenarios.

In any case, you should probably pick up the Desert/Winter boards at this point. They are used in many of the scenarios and, while nonessential, provide a visual aspect your games may be lacking. I probably wouldn't pick up any further expansions until you have exhausted your Campaign Book.

If I were you, I'd go straight for the Campaign Book and use the Air Pack additions. Many of the scenarios are repeats and the game feels much more unified with the book. You can also record your progress better and feel that everything is being used to its fullest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon George
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whaleyland wrote:

3. Play with the Campaign Book (Vol. 1). This is the third edition campaigns and rules. It takes into account the Terrain Pack and Air Pack, though it also favors Overlord scenarios.

In any case, you should probably pick up the Desert/Winter boards at this point. They are used in many of the scenarios and, while nonessential, provide a visual aspect your games may be lacking. I probably wouldn't pick up any further expansions until you have exhausted your Campaign Book.

If I were you, I'd go straight for the Campaign Book and use the Air Pack additions. Many of the scenarios are repeats and the game feels much more unified with the book. You can also record your progress better and feel that everything is being used to its fullest.

Yup, I'd second that. Play the campaign book, you'll really get into it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.