Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I received--with much joy--Memoir '44 for my birthday. For the last three weeks every Saturday has opened with a dual match of the Axis versus the Allies from Pegasus Bridge to Sword Beach, but today we are neither speaking of a Saturday nor a battle of tanks and artillery. No, today we speak of a yesterday…a Thursday in 1297 when William Wallace and the Scots had decided they had enough of British rule in Scotland.

See yesterday, Thursday, Hammer of the Scots—with much joy--was delivered to my house, and unable to contain our patience for a Saturday match…my best friend, Voidpilgrim and I settled up to decide who shall rule Scotland.

The stickering done with our custom Wallace and custom Longshanks stickers and the 3rd Edition cardstock map of Scotland populated with beautiful colored blocks of Red and Blue we were ready…well not quite.

Though of Scottish descent, my knowledge of Scottish geography from the thirteenth century twas a little lacking, so it took some time to figure out where all these noble lads went, but in time they were placed, Irish cheers were made, the Braveheart soundtrack from the library queued, and we began to what surely was to be a battle of the ages.

Voidpilgrim's Scots opened with a Sea Move and Wallace, Douglas, and Barclay were joined by two nobles in Fife to start their revolution. The Brits (me) angered by the uprising were not to be taken lightly and they quickly moved north to consolidate and attack. But, the Scots were high in force (and luck), and the southern nobles quickly shifted their allegiance to Wallace causing Douglas' and Barclay's morale to grow.

Two months (one turn) passed and the battle came to Argyle where the English were sure to secure a victory, but NO! Wallace had secretly moved into that county and with Fraser and another's help…Argyle BETRAYED the English and joined Wallace! It was a terrible loss for England, but Edward I was nowhere to be found, for he did not yet feel troubled from this rabble and he (me) also forgot to read the rules of war meticulously and so forgot to place four blocks of troops in England to begin the year.

The next month (turn three of the first year) came about with the horrific battle of Lanark which would be the decisive battle that would change the war forever. In the county of Lanark a massive force of English and Scottish came to battle. Axes and maces clashed on the summer fields, and without warning the Scottish nobles rolled SNAKE EYES at the most opportune moment. In a matter of seconds the entire English force defected to William Wallace, who was barely knicked one step.

Winter came quickly that year, and the nobles returned home. The English finally built a levy to defend against Wallace's treachery, but the damage that had been done in 1297 would not be forgotten.

The English were happy to bring the Norse and Moray to an early burial in 1299, but in the spring of 1300, Edward I finally decided to step on Scottish soil to defend the right of England with his four nobles, but it twas all for naught. Dunbar who was England's only toe-hold noble in the south defected, and Edward I was forced to force his hand on Wallace with the loyal Lancaster and York. But that was also for naught, as Edward I refused to retreat and was slain sieging Edinburgh.

As winter came and 1300 became 1301 the English under the rule of Edward II with only three scattered nobles in the north confined themselves to surrender Scotland to the Scots in what would be come to be known as World War 'A'.

I'd like to thank Castelli's video review and Columbia's 3rd Edition of Hammer of the Scots for bringing this awesome night into our lives. I for one had one helluva great time, and figuring Voidpilgrim and I are already talking about playing again Saturday, I assume he had a good time thrashing me.

God Bless, I believe I am becoming a grognard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Airfix Rules anyone?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
That deserves a gg tip. Welcome aboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jim!

Yeah, I am really digging these war games. One of my favorite things is thinking, dwelling, and strategizing during the week waiting for the next bout of WAR!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Back 9th Feb 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done!

I lost within a year as Wallace in my first game, and barely survived the half-length campaign as Edward in the return leg (with just one other Noble left). I have lots to learn, but I enjoyed it immensely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gabelman
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also recently became interested in war games, and HoTs is the game that got me sucked it too!

I'm itching to try Command and Colors and I have a teachign game set up that I'm REALLY looking forward to of Combat Commander: Europe. Two games you might also want to check out.

Cheers,

JRG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elmsley4 wrote:
I also recently became interested in war games, and HoTs is the game that got me sucked it too!

I'm itching to try Command and Colors and I have a teachign game set up that I'm REALLY looking forward to of Combat Commander: Europe. Two games you might also want to check out.

Cheers,

JRG

Thanks for the heads up!

Yeah, I've eyed Command and Colors quite a bit. Really enjoy this block fighting. Probably pick that one up at some point. Right now we are overdosed with all these games.laugh

Combat Commander: Europe looks pretty hectic. Not sure all those chits will do well, as we usually play inebriated.

Was fixing on Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage, but didn't like the actual fighting system of the cards, much more of a dicer than a carder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.