Shadow ruxer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well i have had the game for about a week or so now and have finally got the chance too play two two player games.
Overall, the game seems very slow to me. (im not sure if this is because i only have one person to find to play with)
It seems to me that there is way too much going on and most of the time you end up wining without even having to battle your opponent. The strategy cards seem to slow the game down as well as some of the action cards...too me this just makes the game slow and boring...

What i really like about this game though (as with most board games) is you are able to modify it... i love long epic games but i think what i need to try in my next game is completely getting RID OF the use of
-Strategy cards
-Objective cards (Timer 1/10 or 1/14)
-Political cards
-Action cards
-Trade goods

This is a new possible way to play that i thought of and im going to try it out with someone as soon as i get the chance, it is very dumbed down if you will. Than how the game is originally suppose to be played obviousely as many things i have chosen to omit.

I was thinking the whole objective in the game would be to control Mecatol Rex and completely destroy your opponents. (Pure Galactic Conquest)
you would still invade planets and use their resources in order to build a bigger fleet and would be able to use influence for command pool/fleet supply markers.
The only thing you would be doing in this variant is trying to sustain enough resources (influence for more moves and fleet size) to maintain a fleet that can control and dominate Mecatol Rex and completely decimate your opponent.

The only problem with this though is that it may end up being a VERY long game.

I think it would be alot more fun, fast paced and exciting version of the game arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shadow ruxer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Played A Couple And....
I forgot to mention technologies, just as the secondary from the technology startegy works would be similar to how you obtain them in this version, you would pay 8 resources in order to gain a technology and get discounts for technology specific planets that you own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, in other words, you want to get rid of everything that makes it TI3, and play space risk instead?

Strategy Cards and Objectives are half of what drives TI3, and one of the best parts.

There should also be the caveat that you are playing with the original Strategy Cards, which are considered to have a couple flaws, namely Imperial. Take Imperial out for Imperial II from the expansion [you can download it from FFG's website in the rulebook for free: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...] and see how you like the game. Playing this way rewards planning and makes the game quite satisfying, instead of the round 5 buzzkill when someone just gets Imperial I for the 3rd or 4th time.

Also, the game does not work with 2 players; hence 3-6 on box. 4 is a good sweet spot, but all 6 is how TI3 is meant to be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shadow ruxer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL space risk, i thought that was hilarious...

Kool though, ill check out that alternate Imperial card two!

yeah, i was trying out the two player variant version that i had found online but your probably right, you do need at least 3 players in order to make Twilight Imperium more fun. The problem with me is that i can hardly ever find anyone to play with and i thought that this game would be balanced well enough to play a two player variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PMD
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were looking for quick space warfare game - that just isn't TI3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want something that is quite a bit like TI3 but plays a lot faster (and with much less depth), then have a look at Galactic Emperor. It's basically TI3 lite without devolving into Space Risk (which, admittedly, was exactly what I thought of while reading your first post and before seeing the first answer )

TI3, to me, is most fun with 5-6 players. Less than 4 and it's much less awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the variant file I just recently posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Derp
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
TI is not meant for 2 players. Play a real game, preferably with 4 or 6 players, and then see if you like it. If you're looking for a war game, you may be disappointed. War is an important aspect of the game, but I have won a few games without a single combat. Getting rid of the strategy cards would be an awful idea, as that is the gem of TI. It gives you a selective advantage and an initiative that is really key to playing the game. So try playing the real thing if you can, because I doubt 2 player games would be any good if you don't know enough about the game to modify it appropriately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.