Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
HI,

I think Automobile works fine with any number of players. Having said that I played a three player game for the first time last night - it was fun, but there was not THAT much competition on the market (for instance in the whole game only one shop assistant was "fired" and only a little number of cars was not sold in each round, while in all my other games there were lots of these instances). Did we play the game too defensively or have you made the same experiences?

Thanks for sharing

Mixo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Horváth
Hungary
Veszprém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it also less good with 3.
With 4 or 5 players it's the same experience for me, but with 3, the distributors (shop assistants) have too many possibilities, because this part of the game is not adjusted for number of players.

I feel that the lack of competition at this point leads to also a higher sell rate on public demand, which means also less competiotion at that area.

So, when we are only 3, we choose some other game to play. But it's great with 4 or 5!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I like it at all numbers. It is more loose with 3 but since everything is relative and loose is loose for everyone, it is still competitive in that you have to do more better than the other players who will also be doing better.

Also, the limitations are a little shifted. There is more freedom for picking characters and Distributor spaces, but it is harder to get to a specific model to make use of all those Distributor spaces. In round one even though there are ~9 Distributor spaces available, in a 3er game the Cheap and Luxury spaces might not be able to get used. So the number of safe Distributor spaces effectively becomes 3, and each player can safely put down only 1 Distributor, as opposed to 2 or 3 in a 5er game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls