Gorgb Zibot
msg tools
Thanks for the responses. Space hulk's not really my cup of tea.

I put together a list of games I mike like after looking through some solo game lists.

Dungeons & Dragons Computer Labyrinth Game
Board Game: Monster Mash I
Title Bout
Chainsaw Warrior
Arkham Horror
Dawn of the Dead
Demons
Cthulhu Mash
Citadel of Blood
Death Maze
Aliens

I'm thinking Arkham horror and Chainsaw warrior. Are they too long and challenging? or easy to pick up and worth it? Monster Mash I? seemed intereting any good?

Recommend anything from the list?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Santangelo
Argentina
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Best Sci-fi/horror/cyberpunk or just super fun 1 player game recommendations
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game

Perfectly playable by yourself, the box is very small, easy to carry, and the game is VERY difficult, for what I've heard. Should keep you interested for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Kinda SW of Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Best Sci-fi/horror/cyberpunk or just super fun 1 player game recommendations
All Things Zombie: The Boardgame is pretty good to play solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rathke wrote:
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game

Perfectly playable by yourself, the box is very small, easy to carry, and the game is VERY difficult, for what I've heard. Should keep you interested for a while.

I think it actually works best solo. Pretty fun game, though you'll need a bit more table space than you might expect for a solitaire card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding your question about Arkham Horror, not sure what you would define as challenging. To get all of the rules down you'll have to play several times, but is worth the learning curve. The game can be tough to win, depending on the Ancient One (end bad guy) and your individual investigators and their skills. Arkham is playable solo, but I enjoy it most with a group (4+). I like to have one investigator so I can focus on who they are and what they want to do, more like an RPG. Playing solo requires using multiple investigators and I think that.... immersion... quality gets lost - I enjoy it, just not as much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Space Infantry. A sci-fi game specifically made for solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
I should warn you about an issue I have with Arkham Horror. While a fun game, it has a mortal flaw in it's difficulty curve that may turn you off the game.

You see, portals open, monsters come in and you struggle to close them down. And then the conflict dissapears. Once sealed, portals will not appear in that localization so you reach a plateau where you are never in danger. It's perhaps a bit too easy but the problem is not the level of the difficulty, it's how such difficulty changes as the game progresses.

Apparently this is "fixed" in one of the expansions but you are looking for an extra 35$ to an already expensive game and that's a lot of money that could go to more than one game.

It's also 3+ hours long so probably not what you are looking for.

I think the Space Hulk card game is probably a good fit and if you don't like it, it's cheap and easily tradeable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dtroy_de_rapcore wrote:
Check out Space Infantry. A sci-fi game specifically made for solo.

+1 for Space Infantry

It's MUCH better than Space Hulk: Death Angel. The campaign mode really revs up the tension, because you don't want the guys that just became vets (and get an increase in skill) to die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident

While out of print, this is well worth tracking down, as it is on of the finest sci/fi alien bug hunt games available, solo or otherwise.

I agree with the comments about Arkham Horror, the game is very easy even with expansions when played solo. You have full control of all characters, so planning and teamwork just destroys the beasties chances of winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Vandling
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"He's no good to me dead."
mbmbmbmbmb
Aliens is a great solo game but good luck finding a copy for less than $100. My personal favorite on your list is Chainsaw Warrior. It's hard to win but gameplay is very streamlined and simple, both of which give it points in its favor IMO. Or if you want something a little less-challenging that can be be played just as well solo as cooperative, I would suggest you take a look at Castle Panic. That's actually more fantasy than sci-fi/horror, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
I should warn you about an issue I have with Arkham Horror. While a fun game, it has a mortal flaw in it's difficulty curve that may turn you off the game.

It's perhaps a bit too easy but the problem is not the level of the difficulty, it's how such difficulty changes as the game progresses.

Not quite sure what you mean by this. If you find it too easy you must be playing it wrong. There are various ways to make the game either easier or harder, particularly in the expansions so you can make the game as easy or as hard as you like. The game can be unpredictable, but this is not a flaw. One minute it looks like you might win and the next it seems you have no chance of winning and then by some chance you manage to do the impossible and defeat the ancient one (sometimes).

There is nothing to "fix" here it's just the nature of the game which is unpredicatbale based on dice rolls, card draws as well as your actions and strategy during the game.

It's a great storytelling game and one that you will enjoy even when you lose. It works just as well solo as with a group.

It gets even better when you add expansions - but try the base game first before you splash out on these, as they do add lots more complexity (and fun!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of your list, I have only played Arkham Horror. I like it, however, if I am in the mood for solo horror, I will almost always play A Touch of Evil. I have found it to be thematically strong, which helps make it an enjoyable solo play. It is not a challenge to turn each game into an unfolding book or movie in my mind.

As far as scratching the solo, sci-fi itch, I tend to play another Flying Frog Productions game, Conquest of Planet Earth. (No, I do not work for Flying Frog. ) It is a good game.

Both games, at times, have illicited emotions from me while playing (due to a card draw or dice roll). In the absence of human players it is an especially welcome game faucet in these genres that both games posses.

Good luck in your quest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
nickbolton wrote:
Not quite sure what you mean by this. If you find it too easy you must be playing it wrong.

No, I'm playing correctly.

The issue is that once you close, say, the Cementery or whatever other high-frequency portals there's absolutedly no preassure. You get half a dozen of turns where nothing happens and you can farm items and clues to get stronger.

There are other issues like the Terror track never rising or certain Ancient Ones not being able to come out because there are not enough unstable localizations in Arkham for that to happen.

I'm not the first to have those issues and that's why FFG introduced stuff like gate burts. Hell, the entire changes of Dunwich affect those issues!

Quote:
There is nothing to "fix" here it's just the nature of the game which is unpredicatbale based on dice rolls, card draws as well as your actions and strategy during the game.

I never mentioned having any issues with the unpredictability of the game. The problem is that the game gets easier and easier as you progress and cool stuff like cooperating and teamwork becomes irrelevant, making the game dull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a modern PnP remake of Chainsaw Warrior that is quite a bit of fun, and much cheaper that tracking it down on eBay.

Armageddon Hour

It is pretty simple to print out and assemble.

The problem with Arkham Horror, and really any co-operative game played solo, is that one player can control the team in an optimal manner that seldom occurs when multiple players work together. This perfect collaboration, in solo, allows the player to maximise the strengths of his party without the temptation to explore on his own that often occurs with multiple players. It creates a distinct advantage, that makes the game easily winable, to the point of one-shoting even Cthulhu with little risk.

In base Arkham, there is not much of a penalty for characters going insane or dying, since they just reappear at the hospital or insane asylum. The Dunwich Expansion fixes this with permanent Injuries but it is currently out of print and very expensive to obtain. The other expansions do add some variety but once the mechanics are understood, still present very little challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristi Long
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree about the Last Frontier -- great solo game, very tense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gorgb Zibot
msg tools
I'll try looking up space hulk a little more. Still debating arkham. Chainsaw warrior still looks good. (prefer the board version)

Aliens and Doom (just looked it up) im weary of because their storylines have gotten redudant over time however they might still be amazing games with a deeper take.

Here's some solo play on Arkam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCxdMg-95Lc&feature=channel_v...

Here's some solo play on Doom (at least it appears to be)

http://www.youtube.com/user/babycha0s#p/u/47/OCxdMg-95Lc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham's a great game. My favorite. If you don't like there will be plenty of people who will buy it off of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aliens look very much like Alien Breed CD32 which I have on my Amiga 1200. Maybe you should play that? Get the ADFs, UAE and some kickstart rooms.

http://www.retrospelbutiken.se/store/produkt.php?produkt=544...

There existed newer games to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Breed
http://www.fz.se/spel/alien-breed-impact
http://www.gamereactor.se/recensioner/25253/Alien+Breed+3%3A...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gorgb Zibot
msg tools
Found these games in a local store(any good, only 1 is solo could the other 2 be so as well?):

Ravensburger Master Labyrinth - Family Game, King Arthur Card Game, and
Pirates Gold(listed as 1 player)

Recommend any?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ripburn wrote:
Found these games in a local store(any good, only 1 is solo could the other 2 be so as well?):

Ravensburger Master Labyrinth - Family Game, King Arthur Card Game, and
Pirates Gold(listed as 1 player)

Recommend any?
I thought amazing labyrinth was very fun as kid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it is not on your list but my go to sci-fi solo game is Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gorgb Zibot
msg tools
Thanks for all the continous the recommendations...

Actually there are too many games that play like aliens, on the dos, amiga, arcade, nes, sega systems etc... too many too list

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Ebonsword
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who owns both Death Maze and Citadel of Blood, I recommend the latter. It's basically a more refined version of Death Maze. If the primitive art work doesn't turn you off, it's a pretty fun dungeon crawl.

You also may want to check out some of the products made by Dark City Games (http://www.darkcitygames.com/).

They make "programmed adventures", which are basically Choose Own Adventure books with a light RPG system and tactical combat added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Arkham Horror is the 1000 pound gorilla in the Solo immersive horror genre.

It's certainly a deep and engaging game that's highly thematic and will pull you into the story every time you play. There are also MANY expansions available to guarantee your games are different every time you play.

The downsides, like others have said are that the game is fairly complex (and more so with each added expansion) and the learning curve is reasonably steep but to some degree that's the price you pay for a rich, thematic experience.

I'd say buy the base game and try it and if you like it... add an expansion or two down the line just to open up the full potential of the game. As others have noted... AH is an extremely popular game so trading/selling it shouldn't be too difficult if the game just isn't your cup of tea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.