Subject: Question on church cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are church cards powers mandatory? For example, the card that allow you to modify two dice +1 means that you MUST change the value for both dice or you have the option to doing that for only one for +1?

The rules just cover the case that you are not allowed to change the value to +2 on the same die but don't say anything on my question.

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes mandatory. Anytime they are taken into the hand either by gift or through an auction they have to be used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the text from the Scripts and Scribes rules. In the Biblios version the bishop cards are the church cards.

The Special Bishop Rule
Any time during the game, whenever one acquires a Bishop Card, the game is immediately interrupted and the Bishop Card is played. The Bishop is acquired when a player takes it into her hand. However, a player is not allowed to keep a Bishop in her hand, but it must be played immediately and then discarded.

Playing the Bishop Card
• A Bishop Card gives its holder the power to adjust value(s) on the Value Board.
• When adjusting values, the player turns 1 (or more) of the dice on the Value Board.
• A “+1” Bishop allows a player to adjust 1 value up 1 point. A “-1” card allows a player to adjust 1 value down 1 point.
• A card with both (+) and (-) signs allows one to adjust a value up or down 1 point.
• A “+2” card allows the player to adjust 2 different category values up 1 point. A “-2” card allows the player to adjust 2 different category values down 1 point.
• Any “2” Bishop Card must be divided between categories, if it is used. It must be used completely or not used at all.
• The Bishop Card is discarded after use.
• A player may decide to discard a Bishop Card and not use it.

Example: In the Donation Stage, Steve assigns the first card (a “-2 Bishop”) to himself. His assigning of cards temporarily stops, so he can play the Bishop Card. He decides to adjust the Manuscripts’ Value from 2 to 1 and the Scribes’ Value from 3 to 2. He changes both dice and then continues with his turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funguy wrote:
Example: In the Donation Stage, Steve assigns the first card (a “-2 Bishop”) to himself. His assigning of cards temporarily stops, so he can play the Bishop Card. He decides to adjust the Manuscripts’ Value from 2 to 1 and the Scribes’ Value from 3 to 2. He changes both dice and then continues with his turn.

Hey thanks, just to be completely sure I got the answer right. Following your example, is it possible for Steve to just decrease the Manuscript value but not the Scribes' value?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
The Biblios rules do state on page 6: "A player who acquires a Church card may decide not to use it, in which case it is discarded."

It also states in a Note on page 7: Note: The power provided by a Church card with two dice has to be used on two separate categories or none."

So based on my reading, this means that you can acquire a Church card and decide that it will not have an effect on the game - but if you have a 2-dice card and decide to modify one of the dice, you have to modify another die as well. Although I don't think it would be a big deal to have a house rule that allows you to modify only one in that case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
To confirm: the power of the church card can either be used or not used. If it is used, then it must be used to the full power. For example, if it a +1 with two dice on it, then you must raise 2 categories 1 point each. You could not just raise (at least according to the rules as I wrote them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Aldebert
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If I use a "+2" card, may I choose a categorie which is already at six and so only modifiy one categorie?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brafman
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zippog wrote:
If I use a "+2" card, may I choose a categorie which is already at six and so only modifiy one categorie?
Based on another thread here, no you cannot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.