Nightfall» Forums » General

Subject: NF as a 2-player game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tycho Terziev
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Finally I gave up and succumbed to my lingering card game addiction.I blame Race for the Galaxy for that,but that is a story for another time.After Race, Gosu and Jambo I am craving for more.I seem to lack a deck building game.Dominion is out of the question because I find boring as hell.Ascension looks sweet, but it doesn't seem to be very deep and replayable.And let's not talk about Resident Evil...Nightfall on the other hand seems very attractive and its promises of high interaction are
very tempting.Also the card artwork is great and the theme is right up my valley.The thing is that my group is small and I have only one regular opponent.So is Nightfall worth buying if I play it mainly as two player game?Also, is it replayable?

Sorry if those questions have been asked before.

Thanks in advance:Tycho

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it is replayable and has already been expanded once. I like it as 2-player better than 3- or 4-player. There are no decisions to be made about where to send minions to attack but there also is no incident of two players ganging up on a third to prevent that player from winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I love it too two player, it is very fun. There is a lot of subtle, hidden strategy in the two-player game that you will enjoy as you play more. Also, play to at least 30 wounds instead of the 20 in the game rules. That gives you more time to get some really awesome combos out before the game ends. Some people also play to 40, but I have yet to try it in 2-player.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Jacovis

Edit: fixed horribly embarrassing grammar mistakes (stupid phones!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Bexborn
Sweden
Kalmar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play heads-up vs my wife as well. It's a very strategic and quick game with 2 players, and we usually play to 40 wounds. Once we even played through the whole wound deck, but that ended with such ridiculously wound-bloated decks that it just got silly. Still fun, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Darby
United Kingdom
Welshpool
Powys
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, 3-4 player is the sweet spot, as there are some cards that are overpriced for 2 player. That being said, once you start drafting cards for setup you can choose whether they're in the private archives, so no biggie. 2 player is definitely fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Of the current official gametypes, 1v1 is the best and it's the one we've been playing almost exclusively now. Like you've seemed to have experienced, a lot of the deckbuilding games out there are missing something. For me it was direct conflict with other players. Most of the other games devolve into solitary exercises where the path is mostly set at the start and all you do is execute from there with little deliberation needed. Nightfall isn't like that as the game has you constantly interacting with other players. In Nightfall you have to respond to the ever shifting play field and often in radical ways that heavily deviate from your intended strategy.

Of course one of the best parts of Nightfall is that it does have a deckbuilding pedigree so with each game you play there can be something totally different depending on how the draft turns out. You have to be flexible when playing Nightfall. You will be rethinking strategies and approaches with each game. This makes the game incredibly replayable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.