Family Business» Forums » Rules

Subject: Turncoat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Salahuddin Salim
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey i was wondering how is the turncoat card actually played. i read the rule several time but not sure exactly how to use it. Can anybody help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fisher
United States
Fairfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the Mayfield rules copyrighted 2005.

The turncoat lets you switch a mobster in play with a mobster from the discard pile with the following conditions:

1) The mobster being switch can be either in front of a player or on the hit list.

2) The mobster being switch MUST come from the player with the most mobsters in play (combined total in front of him and on the hit list)

3) The mobster retrieved from the discard pile MUST be for the ACTIVE player with the least mobsters in play (combined total in front of him and on the hit list)

4) The returned mobster goes back to the SAME spot as the one it replaced - either in the same spot on the hit list or in front of the player with the least mobsters in play

5)*** An eliminated PLAYER can not return to the game by this method.

In cases of a tie for most or least, we have always allowed the decision to be made by the person playing the card as to which mobsters to select.

As to the strategy of when to play it....when you or an ally are the weakest and not the strongest

Hope this helps. Good Gaming
John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I explain it is thus:

One of the mobsters on the biggest family suddenly throws off their disguise to reveal they're actually someone from the smallest family, someone you thought was dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Cermak
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This new card through me for a loop as well as it is not in my older 1989 version. The wording in the instructions is what confused me as it referred to bringing back a mobster from the "discard" pile. But isn't the discard pile the mobsters who are dead? So this brings the mobster back to life? I don't get it. The game played fine without this card for years and I just take it out when I use the newer set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
draco143 wrote:
...it referred to bringing back a mobster from the "discard" pile. But isn't the discard pile the mobsters who are dead? So this brings the mobster back to life? ...

Hmm I thought my edition was pretty old, and yet it had that card.

Did you read my thematic description above?

In a way, the mobster has indeed come back from the dead ... but the idea is that they weren't really dead, they were hiding in disguise! ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Cermak
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, I get that and like it, but I also think it can be confusing to keep another mobster in your own game now. Things can get pretty frantic in a big game and the vendetta card comes out, and then someone plays intrige and rearranges all the cards, and now I've completely forgotten that one Capone guy is really in my Murder, Inc. gang, and oh damn, now he's dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
draco143 wrote:
and now I've completely forgotten that one Capone guy is really in my Murder, Inc. gang, and oh damn, now he's dead.

Hmmm, but when you play Turncoat, you switch the cards immediately, so there should be no confusion?

For example:
* someone (anyone) plays Turncoat
* everyone counts their living mobsters, including those on the Hit List
* Green Gang: 3 , Black Gang: 4, Red Gang: 5
* Red has the most, so Red chooses one of his mobsters "Frank" to die (discard)
* Green has the least, so that player (takes) brings back to life one dead Green mobster - called "Clyde"

Basically the card just hurts the winning player while helping the underdog ... but to use this example we can say that Clyde had only pretended to be dead - he'd secretly killed Frank and had been impersonating him to hide from his enemies.

Now all players have 4 mobsters cards of their own colour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
The switching of cards are just to keep track of who owns the mobster now (with the colour). Thematicly it is simply that one mobster changes side - not that he was playing dead and threw of his disquise. I think you are putting too much into the names not being the same :-).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.