Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I remarked in my review was there was not much reason to ever hold off building 4, 5, or 6 motifs because with constant scoring of three motif row, there will always be a worthwhile tile to take.

We play with putting only one tile in the 3 motif spot, 2 in the 4 motif spot, and 3 in the 5 motif spot.

Whenever a 3 motif tile is taken, you shift one of your choice down from the 4 motif row, and shift another down from the 5 motif row. Then you refill the tile in the 5 motif row. If you choose to score 4 motifs, you take a tile from the 4 motif row, shift down one from the 5 motif row and refill the 5 motif row. This way all refills go to the 5th motif no matter what tile is taken.

I think this is much better than the original rules. You will find many occasions to try to build 4, 5 or 6+ motifs, and it lowers the luck of the draw with three motif cards..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I'll give this a try (next time I can get it played).

Do you still use the rule where you can pick from lower motif rows? For example, if you score 4 motifs do you still have your pick from the 3 and 4 motif rows?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. So the four motif row has the choice of three tiles, and only the five motif has a choice of all six.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response. I hope I can try it out soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen B
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This variant is wonderful! In my first few plays, I found that buying a so-so 3-tile motif often resulted in my opponent getting a great motif on the cheap. As you suggest, this makes luck a bigger factor. This is a far better method and I intend to play it every time from now on, even with new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dru Johanson
United States
California
flag msg tools
This sounds great and seem to solve this veryious problem for 3 or4 players
I'll try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This really shows that the game didn't receive enough development time. Some sort of incentive to go for four or five tiles should have been the first thing a playtester would question. I only played it once, and I immediately wondered this. It seemed like you should either go for six or three. Since the tiles at the three level are identical to the tiles at the five level, why bother?

Another option the designer could have used would be to have different stacks of tiles for each level, and modify the distribution appropriately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasella
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
Has this variant stood up after repeated plays. Considering buying this game, this is not a deal breaker, but was just curious.

thanks,

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.