Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I could give this post 100 thumbs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arman Zereshkian
msg tools
IF FFG does decide on an expansion, best bet is to expect it in 2012/2013 when the Hobbit movies come out to increase sales especially when interest is high!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the time between the end of the hobbit and the start of MEQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is a MEQ expansion (and I hope there is), I'm almost 100% certain it will be with their new print-on-demand model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus Pendleton
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
petercox1001 wrote:
Imagine the massive increase in sales due to issues in the game being fixed by an expansion...

Has there even been a boardgame in the history of the world for which this has been true?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
For this game an expansion would be much less about fixing issues than increasing variety. I think there are two reasons why no expansion has yet been announced/released:
- sales probably not as high as expected
- hardly any real bugs in the design
Still, I would love to see an expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Mannix
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of downtime between players, my gaming group plan it like we would a session of Arkham Horror, so we discuss where a player is going and what they are going to do. This does give Sauron an edge but we are also able to anticipate what he might do as a result and play the right cards to travel where we need to go or make sure we have the right amount of favour. Everyone is involved in this step and it makes each player turn relevant to everyone involved so the downtime is barely noticeable.

I have just finished a session of this game, I have had it for two months and this is only the third time I have played it (due to rule complexity and time constraints) and I love it. It is dripping with LOTR theme and the combat is really intense in a way a dice roll doesn't come close to.

My gaming group remarked that an expansion for this would be just the thing, more heroes, plot cards, shadow cards and generally more for a hero to do on his turn or have a player counter or hinder Sauron's action with Gandalf actions like an event card or something. I would love to see this.

Also, I would love to play a game set in the period of the first war of the ring where you get to play as characters like Isildur. Really mix it up a bit and get to have the battle with Sauron I so wanted at the ends of the books and films. Just a thought...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
I spoke to Corey at GenCon while he was demoing the new SW LCG and the one thing I "pleaded" for was a MEQ expansion. He replied that he'd heard that request a lot. So, at least the designer knows there is some desire for this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcmoore4 wrote:
I spoke to Corey at GenCon while he was demoing the new SW LCG and the one thing I "pleaded" for was a MEQ expansion. He replied that he'd heard that request a lot. So, at least the designer knows there is some desire for this!

Awesome! Hopefully FFG will back him up and make it happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but a lot of people also asked for Unbreakable 2 and you see how far that got.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe not an expansion but maybe a similar game from a different set of novels. The hub and spoke movement system would work great for a space game (reading the Honor Harrington series, it would work great for that). Of all of the game systems, this game really makes you feel like you are reading a book. All of the different "plots", bad guys, and the heroes doing their thing, almost any book and/or TV series would do. SG-1 anyone?!?!?!? Dr. Who? James Bond? Even better, Gilligan's Island!!! Now THAT is good TV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McRoberts
United States
Lansing
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would buy 2 of expansions- whatever they encompass!!!! This game is a blast- even solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan P.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
The problem is that there's not too much they could add in an expansion. New heroes perhaps? Sauron does not need more minions.

Certainly new quests/more encounters. I'm disapointed most spaces only get 1 specific encounter, at most two. Some places are just very scenic.

And change the winning conditions - no more "final battle" bullshit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see a new game based on the 1st age or maybe even the 2nd age. Not an expansion but a new game with similar rules and a new map. There is so much history there it would be a shame not to play some "Quest" during that time frame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, maybe it's me but I think this game already has A LOT on it, so expand it with what?! There's not much to add...

I could only think on Heroes, but it would be more of the same... maybe more Quests and Sauron Secret Missions.

I really love this game as it is, it's a huge game with great replay value and so much to do when playing that I think an expansion would spoil it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
A print-on-demand mini expansion would be the best.

Just more cards/quests/whatever for the different characters and Sauron.

Adding more complexity through a big expansion is not the way to go with this game... Keep it like it is, but with more variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:

Adding more complexity through a big expansion is not the way to go with this game... Keep it like it is, but with more variety.

DITTO!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:

Yes, yes, yes. +1000!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In another thread (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1450526/creating-new-heroes...) celedan and myself have been working on creating some new heroes: a hobbit hero and a gondorian captain. Also, we've introduced the character of Radagast to the game, with modified Event Cards and some Hero Quest cards.

Does anyone else have any proposal of what more could be created to expand, fanmade, this wonderful game?

Right now I'm taking a look at Thalin's quests, which are the hardest ones, with the lowest rewards. Certainly unbalanced for all the dwarf-loving players out there! sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Falenthal wrote:
In another thread (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1450526/creating-new-heroes...) celedan and myself have been working on creating some new heroes: a hobbit hero and a gondorian captain. Also, we've introduced the character of Radagast to the game, with modified Event Cards and some Hero Quest cards.

Does anyone else have any proposal of what more could be created to expand, fanmade, this wonderful game?

Right now I'm taking a look at Thalin's quests, which are the hardest ones, with the lowest rewards. Certainly unbalanced for all the dwarf-loving players out there! sauron

Wow! I somehow missed this thread and really glad you posted the link here. I was just hoping that something like this could happen and it looks like it is already in progress

I didn't look through all 4 pages of what has been done but my only other proposal (if it's not already there) would be new Mission Cards for each side. I'll look through the thread more, maybe they're there. I would be glad to help come up with some ideas if needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, Dan, we don't have new mission cards, but that could be a good idea!

In fact, we've been doing this "micro-expansion" in both english and spanish (my own language). Maybe celedan has done his own translation into french (his language).
I think, from what we've got so far we still lack the new Event an Hero Quest cards that include Radagast in them in english.

It's still a WIP, but we're getting to it. Any help, of course, would be appreciated and even needed.

Glad to hear there's still people out there who love this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Falenthal wrote:

Glad to hear there's still people out there who love this game!

True!

I would love to see an expansion but I have not seen any game that has copied some of the mechanics. Combat, influence, plots, quests, hero immortality done very well, the map...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.