Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check the page for On the Brink on ZManGames.com. On the page it says:

NOTE TO FIRST EDITION PANDEMIC OWNERS: If your cards are gloss with no linen finish then you have a first printing (Feb-April 2008). We are offering a trade in so that your cards will match the newer printings which have a linen finish. Starting today, you may send us a copy of your 1st printing Operation Expert role card and I will send you a complete set of Infection and Player cards with a linen finish (yes, it includes an Operation Expert role card). Please send the card to the address in the contact us page. Make sure your address is legible. Please allow some time to process requests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Rakeman wrote:
I saw that, but I've assumed there's no way I'd have gotten a first edition copy just recently. They must certainly be all gone by now?

Are they linen finish?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meirion Hopkins
United Kingdom
Camberley
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rakeman wrote:
I just bought a new copy of Pandemic and after only 3 plays there is noticeable deterioration of the infection cards - the edges are coming off showing the cardboard underneath. By comparison, my Dominion cards look better than them after several plays involving intense shuffling. Does the recent printing use different card material or something?

Can't help with the materials issue, but I'd contact Z-Man direct if you've got a problem.

Their customer service is excellent: they sent me a replacement pawn for a missing one from On the Brink to the UK within days of me contacting them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rakeman wrote:
JoffW wrote:
Rakeman wrote:
I saw that, but I've assumed there's no way I'd have gotten a first edition copy just recently. They must certainly be all gone by now?

Are they linen finish?

I'm not exactly sure how to tell. They do have a "texture" to them if that is what that means.

Linen finish = a slight basket weave texture as opposed to a smooth gloss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McHale
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say Z-man was awesome to me when my wife and I played so much we wore out our cards. I emailed them and they sent me a new set that I was more than willing to pay for, they charged me nothing, not even shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meirion Hopkins
United Kingdom
Camberley
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not contact them anyway - if there is a potential issue with a batch of cards I'm sure they'd like to know so they can investigate and be ready to resolve it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rakeman wrote:
I believe I have the Linen finish, then. Hm.

I suppose I'll use the cards for a few more plays and see if it gets much worse - fortunately, I don't try to cheat by looking at the card backs, but if I felt tempted, a lot of them are quite noticeably different already. It perplexes me, because I handle my cards very gently, yet these just did not hold up to even 5 plays.

Glad to know that Z-Man is a company you can trust, though. It is nice when a company backs up their product.

I'm not big on sleeving, but the first thing I do with any card game is chech the finish. If the finish looks low quality, I sleeve. This game needs sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
This game needs sleeves.

My copy did not not need sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stone
United States
Erlanger
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the linen cards but I have noticed the all-black borders on the infection cards show wear and tear way worse than the all-white border on the player cards.

It's not bad enough that anything needs replaced...it just looks WELL played.

The plastic cover on my board did rip up along a double-cut edge, but the board works fine as-is so once again nothing needs replaced.

DS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
markgravitygood wrote:
This game needs sleeves.

My copy did not not need sleeves.

Keep playing it - you'll come around eventually, or buy another copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think I've still got the first edition game (non-linen cards) and no problems with them (unsleeved). Haven't bought the expansion yet, so never did the card trade-in.

Don't think I've sleeved any game other than mega-shuffling ol' Dominion. Then again, don't think I've owned any game I've wanted to play the number of times to require sleeves (although Pandemic has probably hit triple figure plays now).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.