Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Commands & Colors: Ancients» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Banner Day #4 Wrap-up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone who came out for Banner Day #4!

We had eight contestants for yesterday's battles. Returning from Fort Worth for the Day were Joe Keller and his friend Duff. We appreciate that these two stalwart fans of all things C&C are willing to spend 7+ hours on the road to spend a full day at the tables with the players in Austin.

Tournament winner Nathan Latta (a staple of all four events to date) took top honors and walked away with John Warry's "Warfare in the Classical Age." Runner up Aaron Somerville snapped up T.A. Dodge's 19th Century work on Alexander the Great.

Speaking of Alexander, the Great was humbled by Leader Casualty rolls in THREE games! Congratulations to Joe Keller, Nathan Latta, and Dave Morganthaler for winning gift certificates for accomplishing with dice what no monarch with an army could do. Ironically, Darius was never a casualty.

This time, I decided to reward some of the "spactacle" that some players bring to the table when they embellish their sets. Something I've wanted to do for while. Duff brought out a set of wooden hex-blocks to the Napoleonic event last time that he uses to elevate his Hill hexes. A simple craft task that has caught on with several players in our area already! A gift certificate went to Duff for starting a veritable "craze"—among C&C players! Tom Heissman uses a set of block trays for gathering casualties and a tin for holding the draw deck and discards—and Duff's wooden hexes! Another certificate went to Tom for some simple ideas that maximized play space and the game experience.

Each battle in the tournament featured a river crossing by Alexander's army. Each presented its own problems for the attacker and the defender. Granicus had the nobility of Persia placed far ahead of their army, reducing their effectiveness in meeting the threat. The challenge was to reorganize before the Macedonians had crossed the river.

Issus was more of what one player described as a "fur ball." The Parnicus was a barrier to movement, but not to battling. With much of the Persian army already forward, the challenge for the Macs was to meet the Persians before they finished deploying forward or before they developed a solid line along the river.

Jaxartes River was a problem for both players: For the Macs, how to get across the river in the face of massive and elusive, long-range missile fire. And for the Scythians, how to defeat a large, heavy-hitting army supported by war-machines that fired at even longer ranges than their bows could reach.

Scoring was handled a bit differently from previous banner days. I had been using a system used by the C&C:A Vassal Yahoo group where total banners with ties broken by the most enemy blocks eliminated determined the ranking of the players. This time, I went with the _fewest friendly_ blocks lost, figuring that efficient victories were better overall than Pyrrhic ones.

Five of the players stayed behind to play an Epic version of Gaugamela. We got a bit of a late start, but it ended fairly quickly with a Macadonian win over the Persians 12-6. In the battle, the Elephants and the Persian Heavy Cavalry with Darius were launched against the Macedonian line without any preparation by light troops. The Macs suffered some loss, but the Persians suffered more. Alexander defeated a cavalry charge from the Persian left while the Persian right collapsed from a Macedonian assault. Dave Morganthaler and Aaron Somerville were named MVPs for the Persian and Macedonian sides, respectively.

Thanks again to all who came out! I'm looking at October as the month for the next Banner Day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Great event. Lots action in the game room this Saturday!

Thanks for organizing stuff Brady!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very well organized, as usual Brady! Great job!
It was terrific seeing some familiar faces again and meeting some new folks as well. GHG was hopping back there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obsolete Man
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're the man, Brady. These Banner Days are always top notch and are a gaming highlight. This one was fun enough that I might just go ahead and count it as my bachelor party.

I'm the one who scored "Warfare in the Classical World" actually. Nate already had a copy (he claimed Dodge). What a fantastic book! I don't know how I've gotten by without it... beside probably looking dumb all the time!

Anybody who doesn't make it to a BradyLS Banner Day is missing out, big time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session report, thanks. thumbsup
BradyLS wrote:
In the battle, the Elephants and the Persian Heavy Cavalry with Darius were launched against the Macedonian line without any preparation by light troops.
Historically, the elephants didn't do anything noticeable... perhaps a clue about how (not) to use them at Gaugamela.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Steve: Thanks for dropping by with your family! We'll have another one soon. Very likely in October and possibly covering Napoleonics or maybe revisiting CCA Exp#1 to play some Successor battles.

Aaron: Ach! That's why I need to take pictures and keep notes. I've amended the record.

Robin: The Persians were mightily disappointed in their elephants, I can assure you! Breaking up the Mac' line first would have helped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.