Daniel Trakulhoon
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My family has already played 30+ games of 7 Wonders (I used it as a gateway game) and want to up the challenge a bit for my parents and so will introduce them to Dominion: Intrigue. The reason I decided not to get the base game is because I can only get 1 of them and I think Intrigue will work better in the long term (based on reading the reviews of both games and how the base game is auto-pilot with very few interactions).

However, I do understand that Intrigue is harder to learn the the base game, and so I need your help so I can give my family the easiest and best learning experiences for Intrigue.

So far all I know is to take saboteur and swindler out. Maybe I need to take other cards out?, or maybe play with the exact same decks/cards more than once? Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you're not taking Saboteur and Swindler out forever?

If you want simple sets to teach with, you could hand pick them to avoid the more complicated cards. Then start expanding your choices until you eventually just use all random all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Trakulhoon
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's exactly what I mean. I just want to do stuff that will make teaching my parents easier; however, I am clueless at what to take out and am asking for any tips for making a better learning experience for my family (mostly just making it the least complicated as possible, taking out cards that will cause Action Paralysis or cards that are too damaging like Saboteur and Swindler). Of course, when everyone knows how to play the game, I'll get everything in. I have no idea though which ones sets are the more complicated one since I have never played Dominion before (I am a gamer though and currently playing Earth Reborn with my brother).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, when teaching new players particularly those that prefer less confrontation (aka a family environment), just pick the easiest to comprehend non attack cards.

For example, here's 10 of the easiest in my opinion (and a fun set). By easy, I mean simple decisions so you'll have little explaining and you'll remove any chance of analysis paralysis. I also didn't include any attack cards as in my similar scenarios, attack cards are not fun for most light gamer beginners.

Coppersmith
Courtyard
Mining Village
Shanty Town
Scout
Nobles
Great Hall
Harem
Duke
Trading Post

Have fun!

p.s. I'd be really curious to hear how your experiment goes and if they found Dominion a step up in the learning and gaming curve, a step down, or just about the same as 7 Wonders. My family (wife, and two girls 8 and 11) really like Dominion but I have been concerned that they might not like or follow 7 Wonders so I've yet to purchase it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Manasan
Philippines
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Removing Swindler and Saboteur (for a while, at least) is a good idea. Not constantly randomizing also a good idea. An easy way to introduce new cards is to replace only two or three kingdom piles on successive games.

Looking at cards ideal for a "First Game" setup, I suggest you use these 10 kingdom card piles to teach with, and replay the setup a few times until your games are running smoothly:

Pawn
Courtyard
Shantytown
Bridge
Ironworks
Conspirator
Mining Village
Trading Post
Upgrade
Nobles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a good rule of thumb is to go with cards that have mechanics you want to have people get familiar with, which aren't to complicated and have a decent mix of them. If you have the base set, I would recommend the introductory set up they suggest. I am not sure what to do with Intrigue. I don't think Intrigue is the best version of the game to introduce people to Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cassar
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly don't think 7 wonders is any easier to pickup than Dominion so I wouldn't worry.

When I first started teaching my non-gamer family Dominion I first used one of the recommended decks in the book. The second game I used random cards from the base game and they enjoyed it a lot more than the ones the book suggested.

By their 4th game I had cards from every expansion in there, still no problems as the game play is the same. Start with 1 action and 1 Buy.

The ONLY trouble I find new gamers have with learning the game is that they want to 'try out' all of the action cards which they soon realise when your drawing 8+ money a turn that they probably should be picking up money aswell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ley Brown
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably not use the decision-making ones initially like pawn, mining village, etc. but add some gradually into the mix. It's not that any of it is hard, but usually it's nice to have the first game go fairly quickly because it's in that second one where people will start to enjoy/relax/think about their cards a little more. While the first set up for both Intrigue and Base introduce them to a mix of cards, they have been too slow for some of the players initially. If I had started with a faster set, I think they would have been ready for another game then and appreciated the game more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Trakulhoon
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow thank you so much for all the responses. Exactly what I was looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Trakulhoon
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wgerken wrote:
In my opinion, when teaching new players particularly those that prefer less confrontation (aka a family environment), just pick the easiest to comprehend non attack cards.

For example, here's 10 of the easiest in my opinion (and a fun set). By easy, I mean simple decisions so you'll have little explaining and you'll remove any chance of analysis paralysis. I also didn't include any attack cards as in my similar scenarios, attack cards are not fun for most light gamer beginners.

Coppersmith
Courtyard
Mining Village
Shanty Town
Scout
Nobles
Great Hall
Harem
Duke
Trading Post

Have fun!

p.s. I'd be really curious to hear how your experiment goes and if they found Dominion a step up in the learning and gaming curve, a step down, or just about the same as 7 Wonders. My family (wife, and two girls 8 and 11) really like Dominion but I have been concerned that they might not like or follow 7 Wonders so I've yet to purchase it.

Thanks!

I'll report to you comparing their learning experiences for both games. It might take over a week though to get the gaming session back on again (Busy week).

So far, 7 wonders is SUCH a great game to introduce to NEW/non-gamers because it's easy to learn, can finish quickly and can handle SEVEN players! But the most important thing is that it's easy to play. I think that you can be a hardcore gamer trying your best to win against a total newbie and your end scores are not that wide apart (making the game enjoyable for everyone with the better ones only having a slight edge). However, because that happens, there's not much strategy involved in the way that you can control it (A LOT of luck, and even more in the leaders expansion), meaning that because your family has played dominion before, they will probably see 7 Wonders a letdown because it's such a simple game.

My bro and I are hardcore gamers thinking of everything to win but my mom just thinks "I'm gonna get the resources first, and then later play ANYTHING that doesn't requires coins to play" and we're still quite similar in score in the end. I have never played dominion yet so I still can't compare both yet, but I would think 7 wonders to be a letdown or the best case scenario, same as Dominion. It's a great game to introduce to new/non-gamers but if they have already played a great game like dominion before, then I doubt it'll make any significant positive effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played 7 Wonders yet but I imagined it as a step up from Dominion. All the text is written on the Dominion cards and there aren't a whole lot of questions that come up. & Wonders uses a lot of symbols and that tends to be more off putting in my group of "newbies".

All things equal I would have recommended the base set of Dominion over Dominion: Intrigue because it seems more basic. That said I don't really see a probablem teaching newbies any version of Dominion except maybe Alchemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Klein
United States
Minnetonka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing a friend's copy of Dominion and another friend's copy of Intrigue, we recently purchased Intrigue. To introduce it to some new players we used the following Kingdom cards:

Bridge, Conspirator, Courtyard, Mining Village, Nobles, Pawn, Shanty Town, Steward, Upgrade, Wishing Well.

I tried to build the list from the Dominion first game setup. It worked out well, but the game did take longer than normal (probably partly due to the new players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier, Sr.
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Trakky"] The reason I decided not to get the base game is because I can only get 1 of them and I think Intrigue will work better in the long term
q]

A wise and wonderful choice! I think Intrigue is the better of the two base games, and Seaside is the best overall expansion. I have two recommendations for card sets that would be good to teach newbies on.
The first is one of the recommended sets - Victory Dance. It's really a nice, friendly setup.

But to choose 10 that are really more typical of all aspects of the game, I'd go with somehing like this:

2 - Pawn (offers a lot of choice), Secret Chamber (the only reaction card in the set.

3 - Swindler (not a real hostile attack), Great Hall

4 - Ironworks (Gsining cards), Bridge (extra buy and $1 discount), Baron (nice use of Estates)

5 - Tribute (good source of actions, cards, and coins), either Trading Post or Upgrade (trash cards for something else)

6 - Harem (Treasure and Victory, together!)

Enjoy the game!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.