Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michel Sorbet
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"A son seul aspect n'est-on pas terrasse? Nul n'est assez hardi pour l'exciter" Job 40:28
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing a few patrol games I decided to plunge into a campaign. I do not like taking short-cuts so I went for the first one, beginning on December 1941. I knew that with the -2 torpedo modifier the chase for tonnage would be hard but I told myself, that it is worth living the experience.

I set up the board (yes, yes! I didn’t play through Vassal) and just started.

Here is the report of my session.

1941 DECEMBER

First Week

Operations:
Nothing happened. No scores, no casualties.

Statistics:
Ships sunk: 0
Tonnage sunk: 0
% of tonnage needed to win: 0%
Boats lost: 0

Conclusion:
Nothing going on. All the boats sortied the bases and will attack next turn.

Second Week

No War Event.
ULTRA: Coral Sea, Marianas

Operations:
TAUTOG becomes the first boat to sink anything.
First it sunk a 1T Merchant, and on the re-attack round it sunk a 5T AO. Nice start!

PERMIT: 1T Merchant

S40: 5T AO
I was surprised to see this old boat to actually sink anything. And here it was a 5T ship!

SCULPIN: 3T Merchant

SERAVEN: 5T Merchant, 8T AO
Wow! Nice score! 13T in one week.

SAURY: 3T Merchant

Statistics:
Ships sunk: 8
Tonnage sunk: 31T
% of tonnage needed to win: 34,44%
Boats lost: 0

Conclusion:
Great week! A lot of ships sunk and no losses. In one week I managed to obtain 34,44% of the tonnage needed!

Third Week

War Event: Roll twice on ultra table
ULTRA: East China Sea, South Philippine Sea (I rolled the 0 twice).

Operations:
SEAWOLF: 3T Merchant

PICKEREL: 5T AO

S37: Lost at sea. Cause unknown.
SHARK: Lost at sea. Cause unknown.
S40: Lost at sea. Cause unknown.

Statistics:
Ships sunk: 10
Tonnage sunk: 39T
% of tonnage needed to win: 43,33%
Boats lost: 3

Conclusion:
A little disaster. 3 bots lost to the same unknown cause. A Kraken or a Leviathan must be in the area....

Fourth week

War Event: Hunt for the wounded bear
ULTRA: Salomons, Bismarck Sea

Operations:
SARGO: found Shokaku! It launched it torpedo and hit!!! Unfortunately the torpedo didn’t explode. Dammit!

GUDGEON: 5T AO

PLUNGER: 5T Merchant.

Statistics:
Ships sunk: 12
Tonnage sunk: 49T
% of tonnage needed to win: 54,44%

Conclusion:
10T is not bad as it let me break the 50% of tonnage needed to succeed. It is a shame I didn’t get lucky on the second roll during the attack on Shokaku. The wounded bear managed to escape.

1942 JANUARY

Week 1

No War Event
ULTRA: Coral Sea, Marianas

Operations:
No sinkings, no boats lost.

Statistics:
Ships sunk: 12
Tonnage sunk: 49T
% of tonnage needed to win: 54,44%

Conclusion:
A very quiet week. I believe my crews were still celebrating after New Year’s Eve.

Week 2

War Event: Roll twice on ULTRA table
ULTRA: Coral Sea, Marianas (twice)

Operations:
DOLPHIN: 5T Merchant

Statistics:
Ships sunk: 13
Tonnage sunk: 54T
% of tonnage needed to win: 60,00%

Conclusion:
Dolphin saves the day. After an impressive start the sinkings became rare. To rare at my taste.

Week 3

No War Event
UTRA: Coral Sea, Marianas (again!)

Operations:
PERMIT: 5T AO
SAURY: 3T Merchant, 3T Merchant
SEAWOLF : 10T Merchant – the biggest score to this point! The die rolling was made by my son Jacques (5 years old). He has some great “skills” ;)

S36 : 2T Merchant

Statistics:
Ships sunk: 18
Tonnage sunk: 77T
% of tonnage needed to win: 85,55%

Conclusion:
Great scores this week which almost certainly will win me the campaign. At less than 15% of the tonnage remaining left I am well placed for the finish.

Week 4

War Event: Aleutian Campaign
ULTRA: Coral Sea, Marianas (again!!!)

Operations:
TRITON: 9T Merchant
SWORDFISH: 3T Merchant
GRAYLING : 2 T Merchant
SKIPJACK : 1T Merchant

SPEARFISH : Lost at sea. Cause unknown.

Statistics:
Ships sunk: 22
Tonnage sunk: 92T
% of tonnage needed to win: 102,22%
Boats lost: 4

Conclusion:
And here it is! One month before the time limit I already have the tonnage needed to secure the win. So now I will just hunt for the biggest score possible.

1942 FEBRUARY

Week 1

No War Event
ULTRA: Coral Sea, Marianas (again!!!!!)

Operations:

GRAYLING: 3T Merchant, 8T AO
SEADRAGON: 3T Merchant

TROUT hit a 20T Merchant but it managed only to damage it...

Statistics:
Ships sunk: 25
Tonnage sunk: 107T
% of tonnage needed to win: 118,88%

Conclusion:
Only three ships sunk but 14T is a lot!

Week 2

War Event: Roll twice on the ULTRA table
ULTRA: East China, South Philippines Sea, South China Sea

Operations:
GAR: 5T AO

Statistics:
Ships sunk: 26
Tonnage sunk: 112T
% of tonnage needed to win: 124,44%

Conclusion:
Slowly increasing the lot.

Week 3

War Event: Roll twice on the ULTRA table
ULTRA: Kuriles, Banda Sea, South China Sea

Operations:
SEARAVEN: 10T Merchant

PERMIT: 5T Merchant

PERCH : 3T Mechant

GRAYBACK : 2T Merchant, 10T Merchant

Statistics:
Ships sunk: 31
Tonnage sunk: 142T
% of tonnage needed to win: 157,77%

Conclusion: what an onslaught! 5 ships sunk but what a huge tonnage!

Week 4

No War Event
ULTRA: North Pacific

Operations:
THRESHER: 2T Merchant
PIKE: 3T Merchant

Statistics:
Ships sunk: 33
Tonnage sunk: 147T
% of tonnage needed to win: 163,33%

Conclusion: A few last tons to the lot. The final score is 147T.

Some final thoughts.

Silent War was a game, that I really wanted to play. I bought it at the beginning of 2011 but tried it only at the end of June. The reason is I knew the game had to be kept flat for a long time, so I went for it only after making my special gaming plate.

This is rather a simulation than a game. The rules seem to be hard but after playing a few turns everything becomes crystal clear (in the rare cases it doesn't BGG always provides the correct answer).

Now to my opinion: I was disappointed. I like solitaire games but I do not think Silent War will become one of my favourites. There are to few decisions to be made, the turns become very schematic and so you become bored quite quickly. The playing time for the campaign mode is hilarious. And finally the thing that bored me the most: the war mix. Drawing new counters for each submarine was a real nightmare. Even when I started to return to the cups only the revealed counters the entire process was such a waste of time. Here is a big advantage of the Vassal module over the real game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jean_Leviathan wrote:

Now to my opinion: I was disappointed. I like solitaire games but I do not think Silent War will become one of my favourites. There are to few decisions to be made, the turns become very schematic and so you become bored quite quickly. The playing time for the campaign mode is hilarious. And finally the thing that bored me the most: the war mix. Drawing new counters for each submarine was a real nightmare. Even when I started to return to the cups only the revealed counters the entire process was such a waste of time. Here is a big advantage of the Vassal module over the real game...

This is definitely a game that could use a good Ipod-Touch/Ipad/Tablet App that just did the war mixes for you. Everything else is not all that hard (as you said, once you get the hang of it), but even doing war mixes for patrols becomes and exercise in tedium.

However... An excellent campaign report! Congrats on a win, especially so early in the war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hughes

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Steel Wolves is supposed to have more decisions. But your analysis is what has kept from this game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Duensing
United States
Bartlett
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been a professional developer for almost 30 years. I wrote a program that handled the war mixes automatically and also resolved combat. I never finished it but got it about 80% completed. To do it right it takes hundreds of hours of coding and, sadly, I've found very little interest for that sort of thing here (and else where), so I abandoned it.

cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LibertyToad wrote:
I've been a professional developer for almost 30 years. I wrote a program that handled the war mixes automatically and also resolved combat. I never finished it but got it about 80% completed. To do it right it takes hundreds of hours of coding and, sadly, I've found very little interest for that sort of thing here (and else where), so I abandoned it.

cry

Yikes! That is a lot of work! Does it take less to just do the war mix without the results? How did/does vassal get it done?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.