Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Vandertol
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you, now remain in my love. You did not choose me, but I chose you, and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit, fruit that will last. -- Jesus Christ
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a couple of questions for those of you with GenCon experience. I took all three of my kids (12, 10, 6) last year just for Sunday and we had a great time. This year I'm heading back with my son (now 13) for the full day on Saturday.

1) Looks like the costume contest is on Saturday. Is this worth the time to go to, or just make a point of watching the parade? I'm assuming it will be appropriate for a 13 year old to watch? (ie he's not going to see anything that wouldn't qualify for a PG-13 movie.)

2) Last year on Sunday I noticed a ton of people playing demos in the dealer hall, but didn't notice an obvious way to get into them, and it doesn't appear that there are tickets for those? What's the best way to get into one?

3) Do you need anything other than a little experience to enter something like the Ticket to Ride tournament? Are these tournaments appropriate for someone with moderate skill and experience? Do they get pretty intense? Can you win anything?

4) Any advice on scoring some swag like a free game? I recall a post about that, but have scoured the GenCon and BGG forums and can't find anything about that.

Thanks! We're signed up for a session of True Dungeon, so that should be cool, but other than that I think we're going to mostly wing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stivers
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Demos in the dealer hall are mostly first come first serve and are not full games. If see a game you want to demo, stand by the table untill the demo is over. Normally the demos last a couble of turns to allow everyone go through the rules and mechanics or is setup for a shorten game.

I don't have much experiance for scoring free swag or the costume contest. Good Luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The TtR tourney is a ticketed event, so you'll need to sign up for that. As for free games or that kind of thing, those are often given in the ticketed full game demos that you have to sign up for. Demos in the Exhibit Hall are abbreviated versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wallace
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6th Circle Nethermancer in Service of the Queen!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm signing up for two tournaments just for fun as well. One is a game I've played a bunch, but am not great at and one I've hardly played at all. If it's only a few bucks and you'd enjoy playing that particular game some.... why not?

I just watch the parade when it goes by whereever I am, you could watch more if you want, but I think it's a bit boring unless you know someone in it... and no it shouldn't overdue a PG-13 movie, only worries might be a touch of cleavage and some mid-thigh skirts, but relatively few.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.