Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know, I know, because it is 'limited' right?
A good one...

Seriously, what's so special compared to the 'regular' version? Two guys on here in the marketplace want more than $220 a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
It's signed and numbered and has slightly better wooden pieces. Basically it's just supply and demand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything is worth what you can convince someone to pay for it.

It's a great game, but I hope no one pays that much for it - the regular edition is gonna play just as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no reason to think they will get $220 a copy. Maybe they really like the limited edition, but would be willing to "trade down" if someone pays them enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
There's no reason to think they will get $220 a copy. Maybe they really like the limited edition, but would be willing to "trade down" if someone pays them enough.

Bingo. You can make me an offer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Brimer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, IMO, I like the cubes and disks more than the little house pieces. I didn't catch onto this game until after it was too late to get the limited edition. However, I won't be losing any sleep over that. The disks/cubes seem more elegant than the buildings to me. Keep your limited edition to yourself.

Let the "Ujealousbro?" commence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the responses guys.

So other than 'signed' and numbered, what is the physical difference in the games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are little building pieces in the place of cubes and disks, and forts in the place of other disks. Ans wooden money instead of plastic counters.

(As opposed to the earlier commenter, I prefer the new pieces, but to each their own).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look in thew photos section, you can see all of the limited edition pieces by the way. Don't think there are any regular edition shots yet though, but they'll be pretty much what you usually get in Wallace games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks very much! i just sent both sellers an offer on here but it isn't much more than i would pay to get a regular version shipped from the UK.
Saw some guys playing this at a game store this weekend and it looked very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the standard edition. You use small wooden cubes for villages, and round flat wooden discs for towns. While nothing special, they do match the space outlines of the board (squares get a cube, rounds get a disc). The fortifications are black wooden discs which are identical in size to the town discs.

All in all the wood in the standard edition is pleasing enough. I appreciate that it fits the geometry of the spaces on the board.

I'm sure the limited edition is wonderful too. But if you can only get a standard edition, I suspect you will still be pleased.

BTW, I played my first game today. I very much enjoyed it, and so did my opponent. I am eager to go again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Brimer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin_Whitmore wrote:
I have the standard edition. You use small wooden cubes for villages, and round flat wooden discs for towns. While nothing special, they do match the space outlines of the board (squares get a cube, rounds get a disc). The fortifications are black wooden discs which are identical in size to the town discs.

All in all the wood in the standard edition is pleasing enough. I appreciate that it fits the geometry of the spaces on the board.

I'm sure the limited edition is wonderful too. But if you can only get a standard edition, I suspect you will still be pleased.

BTW, I played my first game today. I very much enjoyed it, and so did my opponent. I am eager to go again!

^This is very true. I noticed the pieces fit the spaces as well but failed to mention that aspect. Also, with all due respect to the makers of this game, the limited edition pieces remind me of Monopoly pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin_Whitmore wrote:

I'm confused. My understanding was that the standard edition wasn't coming out until the fall. Or is that just when it hits retail outlets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ove Ahlman
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like the game then you should buy it from the website anyway (even though its more expensive and you arent getting limited edition), since then you're whole-heartedly supporting the treefrog compay and hence Martin Wallace, since they get the whole incom when you buy it from the website.
If you instead buy it cheaper in a store somewhere then they might only get as low as 1/10 of the price since the retailer has to have some and there are shipping and there are probalby some other middle hand etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not expensive - if you order from Treefrog.

I suspect there are people who are using the buzz here on BGG about the game to try to turn a quick buck (or rather a quick couple of hundred bucks).

The limited edition pieces are nice, but not worth dropping $200+.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stanoch
United States
Bradenton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered my copy a scant 2 days after the limited edition was sold out. And while I was initially disappointed and frustrated with Treefrog's responsiveness (I tried to cancel my order a number of times), I am pleased with the standard edition. If you really want to make a statement, I suggest you purchase the standard edition and replace the wooden tokens with 15mm Seven Years War or Marlburian era painted miniatures. There is normally a good supply of pre-painted figures for sale on eBay for anywhere between $1-$3 per figure. I am considering some of my 6mm War of the Spanish Succesion figures for this purpose as well. Forts can be simulated using Artillery pieces. Another alternative is to have some custom tokens manufactured by Litko (link:http://www.litko.net/categories/Tokens-%26-Markers/). They are relatively inexpensive and miniature wargamers have used these markers/tokens to good effect for many applications.

But most of all,buy the game because it looks to be challenging and enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Heberer
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
I pre-ordered a long time ago, and paid probably around 70-80 bucks for the game. I think if you really wanted the limited edition, it would be worth a premium for sure. The only thing that really is quite awesome about the LE is the fortification markers. They look like a star fort, and must have been a bitch to make.

I had someone buy a used (slightly) copy of tinner's trail from me for 110, before the reprint happened. I could see someone paying up to 150 for this, but not much more than that. Although, I also don't understand the price of magic cards either, so take my opinion as just that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Huter
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold a slightly used copy of Tinner's Trail (Treefrog Version) for roughly $90 + $40 international shipping. The non-Treefrog version was readily available at the time. Simply put, some people are willing to pay handsomely for their preferred version of a game. Given our niche hobby, preferred versions can be very scarce, thus the escalated prices you see on the secondary market.

I don't have a problem with it and don't see it as gouging. For example, if there is only 1 available on the market but 5 people want the game, why shouldn't the seller sell the game to the one willing to pay the most. Seems more fair than selling it to the person that was lucky enough to snatch it at MSRP the fastest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i had a few too many and offered $200 for one of the copies on here.... and was turned down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Basil
United States
Clayton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
i had a few too many and offered $200 for one of the copies on here.... and was turned down.

You can have mine for $200!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.