Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Stewart
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks.

I've been talking to the organizers of Armageddon about creating a board gaming space for people to be introduced to all the amazing games that exist outside the safe scrabble and monopoly boundaries.

The basic concept at this stage that that Armageddon would make a space available at no charge to be used to play and teach boardgames through out the convention. Volunteers would teach and play games with the people who would like to try the games.

As Armageddon is a family friendly expo for all ages this would be an ideal opportunity to introduce new people into the boardgaming fold and spread the word about the hobby.

Benefit to the volunteers is that they get to play boardgames (a lot of us don't need a greater excuse) and share their love of gaming (as well as get into Armageddon for free).

Possibly we can get a board game store on board to provide some games/other stuff or the games would come from volunteers collections. I know I have several copies of games I would be more then happy to have used for this.

Currently this would be for 30th June / 1st July 2012

What do people think? Anyone keep to help out with this idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
Willuknight wrote:
Hi folks.

I've been talking to the organizers of Armageddon about creating a board gaming space for people to be introduced to all the amazing games that exist outside the safe scrabble and monopoly boundaries.

The basic concept at this stage that that Armageddon would make a space available at no charge to be used to play and teach boardgames through out the convention. Volunteers would teach and play games with the people who would like to try the games.

As Armageddon is a family friendly expo for all ages this would be an ideal opportunity to introduce new people into the boardgaming fold and spread the word about the hobby.

Benefit to the volunteers is that they get to play boardgames (a lot of us don't need a greater excuse) and share their love of gaming (as well as get into Armageddon for free).

Possibly we can get a board game store on board to provide some games/other stuff or the games would come from volunteers collections. I know I have several copies of games I would be more then happy to have used for this.

As i said to you at Armageddon Will - I'm in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hunt
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant idea - all the best with it. Make sure you let us know how it goes! (Hopefully it sets a precedent, too!) thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Noble
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I would be happy to supoprt the conference with a range of games from our library. Just geekmail me and we can work through something that works.

Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Groen
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea but it's hard to commit a year out.

If I am able to I would like to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyG wrote:

Good point - we may have all moved to Australia by then

Perhaps the best thing Will is to set up a team to plan it. You, me, John M, John G, John S?, a couple of Likens, Gareth, a brace of Martins....

Anyone can put their hand up and we can go from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Stewart
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good!

I know it's a long time away but I only just got the idea before this years Christchurch Geddon and there wasn't enough time to plan it and I wasn't sure how well the venue would work.

Indications of interest are great at this stage, if you do end up not being able to make it when the event happens that is absolutely fine - I'm sure things will manage.

Sam- Sounds good, If we can get people involved then we can have a general idea of:

Who wants to participate and how much they want to participate and how many games should we run at a time
What games would be available/what would be great games to teach and play
How a game seller could potentially work in with us.

I should be able to swing having a gaming area made available for this free of charge, if any board game resellers were interested in being involved (there was someone at this years CHCH) then the normal stall holders fee is $200, the benefit to them would be making it a lot easier to sell games if people are playing them at the con (This year the board game sellers didn't seem to do amazingly well, because they didn't have any games set up).

Armageddon has events in Auckland, Wellington, Hamilton and Dunedin (not to mention Australia). Depending on how well this went a similar sort of thing could be arranged in future conventions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Willuknight wrote:

I can think of very little that's likely to come up between now and then that would prevent me helping on the Saturday. On the Sunday morning I'll be busy but the afternoon would likely be free.

As to what we teach, nothing that would take longer than an hour is my first thought. I wouldn't be surprised if even that would be too long for a lot of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Stewart
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What may work is having one 'heavy' game being played every hour or two, and lighter games around that so that those passing by after the main game started could still play something.

'Heavy Games' Settlers, Dominion, Stone Age, 7 Wonders, Citadels, Tikal, Chinatown, Ticket to Ride

'Light Games' Incan Gold, Pit, Jungle Speed, Witches Brew, Resistance, Transamerica
(these are just ones I'm thinking about of the top of my head)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Willuknight wrote:
What may work is having one 'heavy' game being played every hour or two, and lighter games around that so that those passing by after the main game started could still play something.

'Heavy Games' Settlers, Dominion, Stone Age, 7 Wonders, Citadels, Tikal, Chinatown, Ticket to Ride

'Light Games' Incan Gold, Pit, Jungle Speed, Witches Brew, Resistance, Transamerica
(these are just ones I'm thinking about of the top of my head)

Settlers 'heavy'?

The question is do we want strangers/attendees to join in? If so that does suggest quicker easier games.
It also probably means games with fewer pieces just from a 'lost bits' perspective and smaller tables.

The event itself would lend itself to "A Touch of Evil', but that's a 2-3 hour game with lots of cards so probably not.

Your list is good. Junta Viva El presidente might be ideal. ninja

Anyway... Will how about you work out all the things that need to be decided and organised and we can keep discussing this till next year. Maybe a separate thread Or we can use the forum on the Christchurch guild. We can have subtopics like what games (and who owns them?)
Do we want to enlist people for an existing or new group?
What do we need to pay to do this?
What rosters do we need to set up etc. etc. etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Willuknight wrote:
Hi folks.
Possibly we can get a board game store on board to provide some games/other stuff or the games would come from volunteers collections.

I would be happy to donate a copy of Linwood and Capek to be used and possibly given away as some sort of prize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brice
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:
Perhaps the best thing Will is to set up a team to plan it. You, me, John M, John G, John S?, a couple of Likens, Gareth, a brace of Martins....

I've fallen off the radar, it seems.

I'd help out for an afternoon, but not the whole weekend. I find large spaces with lots of noisy people challenging for more than an hour or three at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:
JohnnyG wrote:

Good point - we may have all moved to Australia by then

Anyone can put their hand up and we can go from there.

And I was just thinking we need at least one or two Jasons. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shem84 wrote:
Willuknight wrote:
Hi folks.
Possibly we can get a board game store on board to provide some games/other stuff or the games would come from volunteers collections.

I would be happy to donate a copy of Linwood and Capek to be used and possibly given away as some sort of prize.

Brilliant offer Shem and on behalf of the non-organising committee I'm pleased to accept this offer.

One of us will come back to you by geekmail. We do have a bit of time mind you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ttfn wrote:
Hi,

I would be happy to supoprt the conference with a range of games from our library. Just geekmail me and we can work through something that works.

Peter

Thanks for this great offer Peter. Very generous.
I think the answer is very very likely to be yes but someone will come back to you via the organising team as we progress.

Sam
Non-organising non-committee non-convenor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can help out, geekmail me closer to the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People can volunteer to get involved here Boardgaming at Armageddon Pulp Culture Expo (Christchurch)

this is more manageable and trackable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Stewart
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got home from work.

Thanks for organizing the forum side of things for me Sam! I'm pretty new to BGG so it's great to have some advice on the best way to proceed for organizing on the forum.

Thankyou to everyone for your offers of support and help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Noble
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

Just my 2 pence worth from running a games group at work for the last 4 months and introducing new games to people.

What I found is that TTR:Europe was seen as heavy/complex, as was something Like Zooloretto. Both needed to be played twice for the players to really enjoy, but after the first game they could see things they liked.

Alhambra is a good one, again needs a run through.

The hits have been cartagena, zeus on the loose, alhambra after a run through and other simpler card games. Sorry Sliders and dextery games are generally a hit as well.

Even games like Kids of carc can be challenging if you don't have a teacher to lead through the game. Most of the newbie haved played things like Monopoly and with that they would never have read the rules, just picked it up from others.

The one that I've just introduced after they have played some of the above and has gone well is Citadels, its simple and generally easy to follow once people have played a turn.

The key from my experience is keep it simple as the idea of reading rules is generally something new to people.

All the best and it is good to have the planning starting now.

Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Groen
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will, I would be interested to know the make up of the con attendees?

I see the list of games above tends towards euro when my uneducated guess would say the attendees would be drawn towards ameritrash.

I know these games are generally longer but we could still run preset demo's.

The sorts of games I'm thinking of:
Last night on earth
Descent
Galaxy trucker
Battlestar galactia

Any thoughts.......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyG wrote:

I see the list of games above tends towards euro when my uneducated guess would say the attendees would be drawn towards ameritrash.

Last night on earth
Descent
Galaxy trucker
Battlestar galactia

Any thoughts.......

oh dear - we've moved back into Project Settlers again......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am part of the mix then I can guarantee that ameritrash is going to be represented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bolter wrote:
If I am part of the mix then I can guarantee that ameritrash is going to be represented.

Yep - you're on the list : Boardgaming at Armageddon Pulp Culture Expo (Christchurch)

Also if John G and I are there as well we'll be fine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hunt
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:
JohnnyG wrote:

Last night on earth
Descent
Galaxy trucker
Battlestar galactia

Any thoughts.......

Thats a good thing, though...no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seriouslyboard wrote:
SamNzed wrote:
JohnnyG wrote:

Last night on earth
Descent
Galaxy trucker
Battlestar galactia

Any thoughts.......

Thats a good thing, though...no?

I'm ready to start the discussion again but there's just 3 of us in the Guild.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.