Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Morten Brobyskov
Denmark
Odense sv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody.
Im looking to expand my game collectionhopefully with at traitor game.
Im looking for a cooperative game where one or more off the players are working against the others. I've been thinign about getting battlestar galactica or panic station, but would like more games to choose from
Im looking forward to seeing your suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Damron
United States
Danville
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
BSG. No need to look further. Top 20 for a reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Long
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Battlestar.

Also I agree with the first post as well. Though agreeing with someone from Huhr'kun or anyone in Putnam county kinda hurts. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Saboteur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Winkleblech
United States
Brownsville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Another solid option as far as Traitor games go is Shadows Over Camelot. Not as deep as BSG, but plays in a shorter time, and is definately lighter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Panic Station qualifies as a traitor game, given that you know who starts out as The Thing (at least, this is what we must assume, given no rules have yet to be posted). But if in your mind it does qualify, then definitely consider The Thing as well, which is available from Artscow for around $40 now...

But yeah, I have to recommend Resistance over BSG, unless you really want to play a three-hour long traitor game. I prefer 3-4 games of Resistance instead of one BSG...that way no one is stuck running around fixing the ship the entire time and everyone gets to be a traitor at least once during the evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielfreak wrote:
Only if you like traitor games in which after about two minutes of game play it's obvious who the traitor is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom tos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've seen Shadow Hunters mentioned before.
But it's fairly obscure. Never encountered it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow Hunters is quite good. You play either good, bad or neutral. Not too much cooperative, though, but plenty of backstabbing! devil
Shadows over Camelot is to some degree cooperative, and there is a traitor. And then you have the really cooperative games like Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game and Fury of Dracula (second edition) where there is one or two players being the bad guy. Not exactly a traitor, but there is an enemy to fight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gabelman
United States
University Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played (and enjoying) some traitor games, here are my $0.02:

Resistance is the best unless you have 9+ people. Then I recommend Werewolves of Miller's Hollow.

I don't like BSG b/c it's very long, and with Analysis Paralysis (A/P), it can be, like any game, even longer (aka: Boring at times).

I DO aknowledge the legions of BSG fans, so there is a great game there if you like the theme and are willing to invest 3 +/- hours.

"Are you the Traitor" is okay, but I traded it as soon as I got Resistance. AYTT was tough for people to learn at times.

Sabateur is a nice game, but not as high on the fun factor as Resistance. For a light card game, it's decent.

I have NOT played Shadows over Camelot, but hear it's good but BSG was better.

Panic Station sounds AWESOME and I'm looking at it at GenCon (hopefully it'll be there).

Cheers,

Joel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Depends on the game you are looking for.

I haven't played Shadows over Camelot, but Battlestar is simply fantastic. The constant searching for a traitor element is simply amazing. Its amazingly thematic and an awesome experience (this is probably going to vary from group to group though). I got into the show after my first play of the game, and knowing the show helps, but definitely isn't necessary.

The Resistance is also really good, but its completely different. Its fun and light, but I will always choose BSG over it. But its great to do a couple of plays with a large group and I like that.

I also like Sabateur. I found it nicely tense at times for a light card game.

But if Battlestar holds ANY interest, then check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 The Resistance - I agree with Clyde. Three or four games of The Resistance sounds like more fun than one session of BSG. It's fun to play multiple games with traitor games. You give more people a chance to play the traitor.

I've played Saboteur and what most are saying above is true. It's fun, but it's light and doesn't offer a whole lot of intrigue. It's rare that the Saboteur(s) go more than two rounds without revealing their true colors. I own Saboteur 2 and have heard it adds a lot to the game. I'm excited to get it to the table.

I used to own Shadow Hunters and it got played a lot while I did. My family loved it. But once I owned The Resistance, I felt it had been replaced and sold it here on the Geek. In comparing the two, I'd say what I like more about The Resistance is its black-and-whiteness. You are either a The Resistance or a Spy; black and white. In Shadow Hunters, you could be a Shadow, a Hunter, or a Neutral. This made it tricky to understand how best to play any of the sides. It also means that for a fulfilling session of Shadow Hunters, you really need all players to know every character and every character's win conditions. For some groups, this is no problem and if your group is consistently comprised of the same people, then SH may be a good fit. If your situation is anything like mine, where you're always playing with new and different people, SH looses a bit of its appeal in this regard.

For what it's worth, I'm always on the look-out for good traitor games. I haven't seen anything to rival The Resistance yet. But I'm currently very intrigued by The Thing and Panic Station. I'll probably be getting one of the two soon. It will most likely be PS, because The Thing's artwork is a bit heavy for my nieces and nephews, and because it will come with less effort and money than going through the artscow process.

Based on your wants, I would strongly recommend The Resistance. Trust me, you won't be disappointed...and I'm not a spy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
oeste wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
Spielfreak wrote:
Only if you like traitor games in which after about two minutes of game play it's obvious who the traitor is.
Well, I like Saboteur, so I guess I like that style of game.
Well, nothing wrong with that...it's a charming game, but you do agree that it is quite obvious who's the bad guy after a few rounds, right? I've dreamed of somehow changing the game so that the game turned into a semi-coop with secret, simultaneous action selection or something, but, well, frankly, why care that much when The Resistance is fulfilling all of the hardcore traitor deduction needs in my life right now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
dunno260 wrote:
The Resistance is also really good, but its completely different. Its fun and light, but I will always choose BSG over it. But its great to do a couple of plays with a large group and I like that.
See to me The Resistance's traitor deduction is quite heavy, if you're playing against an excellent set of spies. To me, BSG's other mechanics (especially the "flying around and shooting down Cylon ships" and "wandering around the battlestar and fixing it" roles) distract from why you're really playing the game: to figure out who the Cylon is. In fact, let's say you're the engineer role AND the Cylon...your options for sabotaging the game are actually very limited against good players who know the distribution of repair cards in your deck. In Resistance, there's none of that junk, it's just you vs the people at the table, locked in a war of wits and deceit.

So I'd argue that BSG, while longer and full of rules, is actually the lighter deduction game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
dunno260 wrote:
See to me The Resistance's traitor deduction is quite heavy, if you're playing against an excellent set of spies. To me, BSG's other mechanics (especially the "flying around and shooting down Cylon ships" and "wandering around the battlestar and fixing it" roles) distract from why you're really playing the game: to figure out who the Cylon is. In fact, let's say you're the engineer role AND the Cylon...your options for sabotaging the game are actually very limited against good players who know the distribution of repair cards in your deck. In Resistance, there's none of that junk, it's just you vs the people at the table, locked in a war of wits and deceit.

So I'd argue that BSG, while longer and full of rules, is actually the lighter deduction game.

Up until the very moment I read this, I had figured BSG was actually the heavy option for traitor games--probably mostly because of its length. But hearing this logic is pleasing to me. I very much appreciate your comment. I think differently now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seyer
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
oeste wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
Spielfreak wrote:
Well, I like Saboteur, so I guess I like that style of game.
Well, nothing wrong with that...it's a charming game, but you do agree that it is quite obvious who's the bad guy after a few rounds, right? I've dreamed of somehow changing the game so that the game turned into a semi-coop with secret, simultaneous action selection or something, but, well, frankly, why care that much when The Resistance is fulfilling all of the hardcore traitor deduction needs in my life right now?

Add Saboteur 2 into the mix, then you're dealing with not just 2 factions, but six. Much harder to figure out who's on your side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, true. The expansion helps the deduction element considerably but makes it harder to teach/learn the various factions. To me, the expansion tries to fix a major problem of the game but in the process it makes others. Still I hope to never play the game without the expansion again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
Up until the very moment I read this, I had figured BSG was actually the heavy option for traitor games--probably mostly because of its length. But hearing this logic is pleasing to me. I very much appreciate your comment. I think differently now.
For example, when I play against very tricky spies with the game's expansion, our games can take between 1.5-2.5 hours, and that is all just conversation. Doesn't happen everytime, but I love it when Resistance games turn epic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
thedacker wrote:
For example, when I play against very tricky spies with the game's expansion, our games can take between 1.5-2.5 hours, and that is all just conversation. Doesn't happen everytime, but I love it when Resistance games turn epic.

I couldn't agree with you more. I've had several games in the 1.5-hour range, and the tension in those games last right up to the flip of the final vote card. surprise

Brilliant fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Good old BGG... a poster looks for advice on buying A game and ends up being convinced to buy 10. Money meet fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom tos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
thedacker wrote:

I've been searching all over the place (on BGG that is) but I cannot find the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Romtos wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
thedacker wrote:

I've been searching all over the place (on BGG that is) but I cannot find the expansion.
The game comes with the expansion...often referred to in the game's forums as the Plot Cards but formally known as "The Plot Thickens." They balance the game out when the number of players reaches 7-10...at those numbers, it's quite hard to The Resistance to win a game without them, but with Plot cards you have a lot more information go on during the game. I've played games where the discussion of who to give a very powerful plot card lasted about 30 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom tos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ah, thanks. That clarifies it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Brobyskov
Denmark
Odense sv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for all the input.
I allready own shadow hunters... a good game but not really a tritor game.
I looked at sabotour, and found it to light, but i think sabotour 2 might be a game worth looking into, If i find it interesting I hope I can find a site to buy from .
A friend of mine own BGS and im not much into SF so i think i will look for something else.
I thought the roles were secret in panic station, but i will have to follow up on that when rules/reveiws are availible
I will also look into the resistance, shadows over camelot and are you the trator, but i think i will be the resistance.
thanks again for all the input
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.