Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Izak Marais
South Africa
Stellenbosch
Western cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested to hear how people handle the timing of the mythos cards: according to the rules they can be played basically before any of the possible steps an investigator can do in her turn. My question is: is it OK to "interrupt" the investigator once he has made his intention clear? For example, the investigator states at the start of his turn (while discussing his plans with fellow investigators) that he wants to move to the kitchen and explore. Then as he attempts his first movement to an adjacent room, the keeper plays a mythos card that prevents the doors from opening. Is this OK?

If one were to play strictly according to the rules, the keeper would have to play said mythos card before the investigator movement step, and thus possibly before the keeper could even know if the investigator wanted to move at all this turn. Therefore playing a mythos card would be a risk for the keeper, since he might waste it by attempting to prevent an action the investigator had no intention of doing. However, playing like this would be very tedious since the investigator would then have to ask the keeper whether he wants to play a mythos card before every step of his turn:
Investigator: "Do you want to play a mythos card?"
Keeper:"No"
I: "OK, I move one space. Do you want to play a mythos card?"
K: "No."
I: "OK, I move another space. Do you want to play a mythos card?"
K: "No."
I "OK, I explore"

What do you think is the intent of the rules regarding mythos card timing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juha Kettunen
Finland
Joensuu
flag msg tools
TRIGGERED!
badge
Cry me a river, snowflake.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules also say that the Keeper has to hear everything the Investigator players discuss, including their plans. The Keeper can play a mythos card at the start of an investigator's turn or after any movement or action step. Combined, I think this obviously means that the Keeper can play them flexibly almost any time.

In our group, when the Keeper's hand is full, the investigators politely move slowly, giving the Keeper time to play mythos cards, if he so wishes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not that much of a problem. It's the same in Descent. We simply play like this:

Hero/Investigator: "I move from here to there" (walks along the path he chooses).

Overlord/Keeper: When you passed this square/room/spot, you fell into a trap, something happened, blabla."

The hero/investigator simply gets returned to the spot he just passed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Izak Marais
South Africa
Stellenbosch
Western cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
The rules also say that the Keeper has to hear everything the Investigator players discuss, including their plans.

True.

We also played it the way both of you mentioned; I just wanted to ensure that that was the intention of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much what the others said. Investigators' discussing their turn is not the same as them committing to the action. You played the card at the appropriate time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Investigators often take their turns so fast that after they have already moved their pieces I let them know which door was supposed to slam shut, and move them back. VERY often, I have a card I want to hit a specific investigator with, but since the investigators take their turns in a sporadic order, I can have been planning this card for three or four turns just to miss its immediate deployment because that investigator suddenly and quickly runs into some room.

They've never given me trouble about this, probably because they understand the exact issue involved in playing such cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.