Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Lags
Australia
Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

With the imminent release of 1.15, I wanted to know what house rules people play with. Myself I think the game is very well balanced as it stands so I only like to play with one (which i think i saw on BGG or CG forum a while ago).

DRM for critical events
S2 & RX - for each failed attempt, 1 DRM is subtracted from the roll.

Reason for playing

These events are very critical to the game. They will usually be ok, but the German can be toasted by failing RX too many times. S2 less so, I've had 1 game where the soviets (me) failed the dice about 6 times and only got it on the eve of Barbarossa.

Yours?
Cheers,
Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Menconi
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Rock" concept is courtesy Tom Oleson. Essentially it is a traded mulligan. Whichever player holds The Rock can re-do any die roll, theirs or the opponent's. Upon re-roll, The Rock is given to the opponent, who then has the option to use it. Depending on the game, the Rock use can be restricted so that no individual die roll (usually a die roll for a critical battle) can be immediately repeated (ie, the Rock is final), but must be saved for another instance. Or, unlimited use is allowed, and the Rock may be traded a few times back and forth until the new recipient/holder of the Rock is satisfied with the previous roll/result.

This tends to even out the very worst game-losing statistical results. In a multiple die-roll game such as EuF, you might make a side rule that the Rock applies to a DE, or perhaps to all the dice (re-roll them all) for a specific unit type in a specific battle.

Lesson learned: use a small, light-weight Rock so a frustrated opponent does less damage if the Rock "slips" out of his hand.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Santandrea
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I love it when a plan comes together!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rock Rule makes a great sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Menconi
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had as much fun strategizing the rock, laughing at the outcomes, as the game itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan de Marco
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing FTF, me and some friends here have these houserules:

Mountaintroops don't have to stop once entering mountains (ie like cavalry), (but have to when entering swamps)
and half-hits and third-hits carry over from the normal combat round to a blitz combat round.

Which maybe came from wrongly interpreting the rules originally, but we like it this way and played it ever since. My shock when I came online and it wasn't so!

and naturally the gentlemanly playing style "if you do this, then I can peep through your lines there, are you sure you want to do this then?" for very obvious mistakes.

edit: spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Fans of "the rock" to reroll a dice roll might enjoy Combat Commander: Europe and Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division, which have this mechanism as part of their official rules (in the form of an "initiative card" or "fate card" respectively).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.