David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had this idea. What do you think?

Roll the Hard Six - Reckless
Play before a skill check. If that skill check is passed the current player may activate two unmanned vipers.

- Is two activation too much? Is it too less for a reckless?
- Should I include "If that skill check is failed, damage one unmanned viper in space area if able" ?
- Should it be "you may activate..." instead of current player?
- Should it be low value like Support The People or high value like At Any Cost?
- Should I remove two cards from the piloting deck when using this? If so, which two?
- Or, instead of activation, should it read "If that skill check is passed, destroy three raiders or damage a basestar"
- Is the idea good at all?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Edit: My new top idea (as posted below):
Roll the Hard Six - Reckless
Play before a skill check. If that skill check is passed ignore the cylon activation icon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you already knew this, but there's already a very similar card to this in Exodus:
Protect the Fleet wrote:
0 - Skill check: If at least 3 strength in piloting Skill Cards are in this skill check, the current player may activate one unmanned viper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
Maybe you already knew this, but there's already a very similar card to this in Exodus:
Protect the Fleet wrote:
0 - Skill check: If at least 3 strength in piloting Skill Cards are in this skill check, the current player may activate one unmanned viper.

Okay then, use the "If that skill check is passed, destroy three raiders or damage a basestar" Is that better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would have to be a very dire situation or a very safe situation in order for me to play Roll the Hard Six. It definitely doesn't need a nerf. Make it a 3,4,5 and ditch Run Interference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:

Okay then, use the "If that skill check is passed, destroy three raiders or damage a basestar" Is that better?

I don't like this version. Too many easy skill chacks and damaging basestars is golden if you're playing with the cylon fleet module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vollick1979 wrote:
It would have to be a very dire situation or a very safe situation in order for me to play Roll the Hard Six. It definitely doesn't need a nerf. Make it a 3,4,5 and ditch Run Interference.

Vollick1979 wrote:
TDaver wrote:

I don't like this version. Too many easy skill chacks and damaging basestars is golden if you're playing with the cylon fleet module.

So you like the original wording? I know its more of the same as "Protect the Fleet", but I like that card very much, and I'd prefer see more of it. And you're right, Run Interference is the least used piloting card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Vollick1979 wrote:
damaging basestars is golden if you're playing with the cylon fleet module.

Damaging one basestar is "golden" if you're playing with the Cylon Fleet module, with certain kinds of damage (no shooting or no pooping out ships) until you jump, at which point it removes all damage tokens to go onto the CFB (errata from the rulebook in the official FAQ).

So that doesn't bother me.

I like the spirit of the card, but I'm not sure either one of the wordings is a great idea, especially with Protect the Fleet existing.
If I come up with any better suggestions, I'll post them to the thread later, but I've got nothing right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
Vollick1979 wrote:

Vollick1979 wrote:
TDaver wrote:

So you like the original wording? I know its more of the same as "Protect the Fleet", but I like that card very much, and I'd prefer see more of it. And you're right, Run Interference is the least used piloting card.

Least used? Do people not use pilots anymore? "Very unused" I can see, but "least used" would have to go to Full Throttle. Run Interference is just like any other specialty card... you normally don't have to worry about it, until someone has it and decides to use it devil

It's been fun to hear a pilot with just one card saying not to worry about the 4 raiders that need to go through her to hit the 3 civvies there. Sometimes, she plays a Run Interference and the threat was never there. Other times, she doesn't and the soft reveal occurs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me I see Full Throttle played more often than Run Interference. Maybe it's the value of the skill card or maybe it's because RI and EM do pretty much the same job and EM's are so much more common.

Don't get me wrong I don't see Full Throttle getting much play either, just slightly more than RI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vollick1979 wrote:
For me I see Full Throttle played more often than Run Interference. Maybe it's the value of the skill card or maybe it's because RI and EM do pretty much the same job and EM's are so much more common.

Don't get me wrong I don't see Full Throttle getting much play either, just slightly more than RI.
RI = up to 4 EM, and it's garuanteed, whereas you get those freak situations every now and then where 5+ gets rolled 3 to 4 times in a row shake

To digress, some of our pilots save RI for when 3 or more raiders attack to get a more fuller use out of it, so I do see that making it rarer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, thought about the spirit of the card...
My next try: "If that skill check is passed, destroy three raiders or 1 heavy raider"

so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, completely different idea:

Roll the Hard Six
Reckless:
If the skill check is passed, ignore the cylon activation icon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot to post here, in case anyone is still listening:
Here is the card we've been using in a few PBF games (214, V1) and recently even printed these to play F2F:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.