CW Karstens
United States
Nevada
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I am close to finishing my Kickstarter campaign (Ends August 14, 2011 - http://kck.st/iOqG2c) and have been asked advice by many people interested in doing their own Kickstarter projects. I put together this quick list for them (summarized from my project plan) and thought others would benefit.

Before Seriously considering Kickstarter, have the following done:

+) Playable Prototype with clearly written rules that has been tested by groups who do not know you.

I highly recommend submitting the game to publishers at this stage first unless you REALLY want to become a business owner with all the headaches that entails.

If you truly want to go the Kickstarter route:

!!!!) Do a complete Business Plan.
-) SG&A (LLC registration, UPC codes, tax costs, bank account fees, CC fees, ...)
-) Advertisement (Free Demo copies including shipping, Web banners, gas/airfare to conventions, booths, entry fees, event fees, ...)
-) Development (Project Manager, Artist, Graphic Designer)
-) Kickstarter and Amazon Fees
-) Manufacturing
> Not only a quote from the printer/manufacturer but timely correspondence and relationship built.
> Shipping to Fulfillment/Distributor, Import Fees, Taxes
> Safety Testing
-) Fulfillment/Distributor (Costs and what you get)

If you are still interested:
+) Nice cover art
+) BGG entry for the game
+) At least some third party reviewers on BGG entry (not friends, this is hard b/c most will be friends and friends are too nice or too jaded by already playing your other prototypes)
+) Most of the artwork done or close
+) Video overview of the game
+) Funding levels of awards and gifts including SHIPPING! Make sure to understand the hidden costs to yourself.
+) Time to answer emails, solicit and market

Of course each of these items are expansive in the details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
3dragonfly wrote:

tested by groups who do not know you.

This is the biggest problem I see new designers face. This step HAS to be done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
3dragonfly wrote:

Problem is, as soon as I step in the door of a new place, say hi, and tell them who I am, and if they wouldn't mind testing a game for me, they now know me ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
3dragonfly wrote:

Quite seriously, yes, this is a very important step. Also, if someone doesn't want to test it, you might find out why, and that could change the game plan as well. But, don't let everyone sway you one way, you do need to keep a goal. If every little comment causes a change, you will never finish the game; too many people think differently; one change wanted might make the other player cringe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
3dragonfly wrote:

> Safety Testing

Where do I order the crash-test meeples?

zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc-Andre Blanchet
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry, once you have designed a successful game, it's easy to find eager playtesters you don't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
3dragonfly wrote:

Problem is, as soon as I step in the door of a new place, say hi, and tell them who I am, and if they wouldn't mind testing a game for me, they now know me :ninja:

I always do external blind playtesting - prototypes sent via mail. Getting the rules to work without having to answer lots of questions can sometimes be as hard as getting the rules to work in the first place. Personally I don't think that you should look to publish, even self publish a game unless you've had at least 10, if not 20+ different outside groups go over the rules and play the game this way with favorable feedback.

You might be able to get a kickstarter project founded without doing this, but usually the kickstarter funds aren't going to cover the whole cost of production, and you'll need to have done this to make the game sell more copies after its released if you are planning on breaking even. I know that my most recent kickstarter project we are doing well, but still not close to covering what the out of pocket costs are to get the game produced and manufactured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Brown
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:

Getting the rules to work without having to answer lots of questions can sometimes be as hard as getting the rules to work in the first place.
I know that my most recent kickstarter project we are doing well, but still not close to covering what the out of pocket costs are to get the game produced and manufactured.

True and true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Suter
United States
Orlando
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
3dragonfly wrote:

Problem is, as soon as I step in the door of a new place, say hi, and tell them who I am, and if they wouldn't mind testing a game for me, they now know me ninja

I always do external blind playtesting - prototypes sent via mail. Getting the rules to work without having to answer lots of questions can sometimes be as hard as getting the rules to work in the first place. Personally I don't think that you should look to publish, even self publish a game unless you've had at least 10, if not 20+ different outside groups go over the rules and play the game this way with favorable feedback.

You might be able to get a kickstarter project founded without doing this, but usually the kickstarter funds aren't going to cover the whole cost of production, and you'll need to have done this to make the game sell more copies after its released if you are planning on breaking even. I know that my most recent kickstarter project we are doing well, but still not close to covering what the out of pocket costs are to get the game produced and manufactured.

Um, How do I sign up to be a tester for people? Send me a cool game so that I can test it out before everyone else? Yes, please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Tharp
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hobby game designer, please print and play my games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gromguitar4 wrote:
Um, How do I sign up to be a tester for people? Send me a cool game so that I can test it out before everyone else? Yes, please.

Here's one place you can start:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/54084/user-designed-unpubl...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bud Leiser
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
"Um, How do I sign up to be a tester for people? Send me a cool game so that I can test it out before everyone else? Yes, please."

The world needs more people like you

http://www.summonertactics.com/

I wouldn't mind sending copies to people if I knew they would test them a lot. But if they are only going to test it once, well, I'm not rich. (yet)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Koenig
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I found this great Kickstarter crowdfunding checklist, road map, plan, plus lots of additional advice. It's got over 200 things to consider for a successful Kickstarter or crowd funding campaign.

http://bit.ly/La0IQg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.