Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or - "What the f*ck just happened!"

Scenario : Air Assault

Opening moves :

Sov heliborne troops all over the place - Check

Sovs Hip fires up a US squad in building with no effect; building then assaulted with the Soviet squad and leader KIA - Check (chalk one up for the good guys)

But a Double was rolled

SU25 streaks in and mauls US squad plus leader with cannon fire in an objective hex (casualties / wounded with lots of Soviet paras around)

SU25 drops bombs on another US squad a few hundred meters away (casualties)

End of GT2 of 6 : US defenses vaporized awaiting the relief column on GT4. Wonder if the Soviets will be waiting in good defensive positions?

---

Clarifications on the scenario :

I'm assuming the cannon fire on the SU25 and A10 must "spread" to adjacent hexes as opposed to multiple hits in one hex?

SSR : morale check must be passed for US to move or fire; failure = Ops Complete (clarified previously on CSW). Do they need to pass a morale check to Opportunity Fire also?

---

So two plays has resulted in two Soviet wins. Saw an SU25 deal death and pretty much win a scenario, a LAW bring down a Hind, and an RPG take a long range shot and wreck an M113.

Overall this one is tough for the US. The initial air assault by the Soviets puts lots of high quality paras literally on top of US positions, and with the restrictions on the US move and fire capability on GT1...

Depending on how the Soviets land and spotting, it's possible for them to put up to ten (10) HE hits and four (4) MG runs on US positions with their Hips and Hinds. So I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of the time, the US will have lost 2 squads by the end of GT2 if the Sovs are using fire, movement, and assault together. And if the SU25 gets in on the fight before GT4, I'd say the US is guaranteed to lose 1 squad.

So with all this bad news, what does the US do? Not sure of the perfect setup after two plays. Spreading guys out failed the first time (non-supporting positions and inability to rally being key). Abandon the two VP hexes on the east side? Did that and still lost - but if you can hold out, you are far closer to the relief column when it arrives on GT4 and you just need to hold one of 3 VP locations.

So the setup for my third try has the US consolidated on one objective : N18, L17 and either J17 or L16. Will report later how this fares!

Also - don't let the morale roll lull you into doing nothing. If you can get a shot, try and hit a Hip before it drops off it's passengers. A leader + squad + M60 stack gives you a good chance a passing the check and throwing enough FP to possibly damage a Hip and chase it off with 1-2 squads of Soviet paras. And hey - if your aim and training is sh*t hot, maybe you can bring a Hind down with a LAW, too!

I won't say too much about the relief column as their employment is far too dependent on the outcome of the early fight. Just hope the SU25 never shows, has already shown, or your Stinger crew is dismounted and ready to engage! And beware the Sagger. I had him sitting up in the hills north of Eisenbach so he had the standoff range and LOS to hit the M1 (the bad part about getting him up there is that you prob had to drop off an infantry squad far away from the initial fight).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
'm assuming the cannon fire on the SU25 and A10 must "spread" to adjacent hexes as opposed to multiple hits in one hex?

That is right. First para under 19.11.1 Third sentence.

Sounds like you are having a lot of fun, Pete. Good luck to the Americans this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Atack
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for getting me on target with the SU25/A10 question.

The other question - do you have to make a morale check for opportunity fire? I was playing that 'morale check to fire' covered any type of firing, but if the US can opportunity fire without the morale check that actually makes a significant difference in the play of the scenario, so I want to be certain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Morale check to opportunity fire was my intent. In this case it is really more of an attentiveness check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Atack
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing like a Hip dropping off 2 squads of angry paras on your front doorstep to enhance attentiveness!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Atack
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So the setup for my third try has the US consolidated on one objective : N18, L17 and either J17 or L16. Will report later how this fares!

Third play tried this out and saw another US defeat. The SU25 appeared again and eliminated a US squad; another US squad was destroyed in melee and the third eliminated by a combo of FP and melee. The relief column could not make headway vs the Sagger and 2 RPG teams.

Forth try is set up and partially underway. US forces this time are defending the VP hexes east of the river trying to use the forest as best as possible to keep LOS at bay (which impacts use the helos rockets and SU25 strikes). The relief column is about to enter and a US squad + Leader and hero are holding out in the far eastern VP hex. The Soviet Sagger and RPG teams are in the western portion of town waiting for the M1 and M113s...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a shipping notice from Janice Walker today. I'm assuming it's for Heroes of the Gap, as I also assume that the notice last week was for Paris is Burning.

Both are in Canada Post / US Postal Service limbo, or at the border.

Looking forward to both of them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Price
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
I too received a notice today Chris - the race is on. No Canadian border to worry about across the Pacific Ocean!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Atack
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fourth try finally yielded a US victory. Even though it's far from the relief column, defending east of the river forced the Soviets to split their effort (needing to set a defense to the west and take objectives to the east) which allowed the US to hold one victory hex.

For the Soviets, dropping in right next to US squads where you can is the best plan, but with some risk IMO. You may get a squad plastered, but it allows for quick assaults, and with only 6 turns, you really can't allow yourself to be stalled for long.

Overall good scenario. The helos and SU25 can really flip this to the "Sov-advantage", but it's still an interesting one to manage from both sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Pete,

You are persistent! But I also love it when I get a scenario that I just "have to" beat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Atack
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey - it was ANNOYING as hell not being able to pull off a win as the US so I just kept plugging away.

I don't expect to win more than 40-50% of the time as the US, but with a short scenario and low counter density, it's a quick and interesting dilemma to try and fight out of!

I still have not found the perfect place to deploy the Sagger team. I've been placing it up north and then place the RPGs in buildings in the southwest of town, that way the US relief column has to pick which to get hit with. But the poor Sagger dudes rode out the start of WW3 without firing a shot in anger in 4 scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But the poor Sagger dudes rode out the start of WW3 without firing a shot in anger in 4 scenarios.

Yeah, but they channeled the attack, right?

BTW, Back to Basics is another small, challenging scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Atack
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Yeah, but they channeled the attack, right?

Yes. They closed down the northern part of the entry zone for the relief column and forced the US to use the southern approach which was covered (poorly as it turned out) by 2 Soviet RPG armed squads. If you choose this strategy, I think you have to occupy the far western building / wall complex. In one game I did not and it allows the US a covered avenue of approach into town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Atack
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
BTW, Back to Basics is another small, challenging scenario.

Mark - played this twice yesterday. Used it to intro a new player to the system. You're right - some interesting choices to make in the defense for the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
wrgplayer wrote:
I too received a notice today Chris - the race is on. No Canadian border to worry about across the Pacific Ocean!

I got my copy of Paris is Burning seven business days after it was shipped, so since my copy of HotG shipped on August 3rd, I should get it Friday or next Monday.

Which takes longer, shipping to Canada or New Zealand? Let's find out!

Nice to read about the game in the meantime...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Atack
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Nice to read about the game in the meantime...

I think you'll be impressed with what's in the box.

And the WW3 / modern / contemporary topic has reinvigorated my interest in the system. I'm really tired (disinterested?) in WW2 stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
And the WW3 / modern / contemporary topic has reinvigorated my interest in the system. I'm really tired (disinterested?) in WW2 stuff.

I hear you. I will say the Heroes of the Pacific module will be a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.