Popular Tags: [View All]
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, a little history about myself and my current gaming situation:
I have been playing Magic: The Gathering since 1997 and have played in hundreds of tournaments over the years. My interest has faded a bit, mostly due to time constraints (full-time job + girlfriend + other hobbies). I still love the game, though, and taught it to my girlfriend. She likes the game, but isn't interested in jumping really into it because the sheer amount of cards and my vast head-start is too overwhelming (quick aside: I think to really get into Magic or any other CCG, you need to start fresh with at least one friend and take steps together).
I have never played any Living Card Games until a few months ago when we tried the Lord of the Rings LCG. Slightly interested after the first game, we eventually became hooked and now use most of our spare time playing it. I really like the concept of LCGs because the cost remains manageable while offering a good deal of deck customization and variety.

So, now my question: Which other Living Card Games would you recommend? I mostly play 2 player games with my girlfriend, but I would like to be able to invite a friend or two from time to time. We like fantasy stuff and would love to find a game that's easy to learn, but tough to master. I watched the Game of Thrones LCG instruction video from FFG, and it looks interesting. Would you recommend that game or something else?
Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer: Invasion is the one that scratchs the MTG itch for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like CoOp, FFG is coming out with several other CoOp LCGs, include the Lovecraft based Elder Sign and Star Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played myself but for multiplayer LCGs A Game of Thrones is the one that gets usually a lot of recommendations around here.
Warhammer Invasion is not bad but I think requires some if not a full cycle of battle packs before feeling complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Phillips
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jose-san wrote:
Warhammer: Invasion is the one that scratchs the MTG itch for me.

I completely agree. I even have friends who have given up Magic because Warhammer:Invasion is so good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Slowiak
United States
New Lenox
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
If you like CoOp, FFG is coming out with several other CoOp LCGs, include the Lovecraft based Elder Sign and Star Wars.

WHAT!?!?!?

Did I miss an announcement about a Star Wars CoOp LCG ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gnipp wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

WHAT!?!?!?

Did I miss an announcement about a Star Wars CoOp LCG ?

Woohooooooo!!!!! http://bit.ly/qvHn69
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Slowiak
United States
New Lenox
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lol, I guess I did!

Wow.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From everything in the announcement, it seems that if you love the LotR LCG, you'll love Star Wars, too, since it's basically the same engine with a paste-over theme. Son, I am disappoint.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the Games of Thrones setting but like the Lord of the Rings co-op aspect...wish they would combine the two into one product...but sadly the GoT game is pvp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Pinheiro
Brazil
Recife
Pernambuco
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
I love the Games of Thrones setting but like the Lord of the Rings co-op aspect...wish they would combine the two into one product...but sadly the GoT game is pvp.

Game of Thrones Cooperative is no Game of Thrones at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CovertDad wrote:
From everything in the announcement, it seems that if you love the LotR LCG, you'll love Star Wars, too, since it's basically the same engine with a paste-over theme. Son, I am disappoint.

That is a bit on the disappointing side. So far we're just working off some very preliminary information, though: there might be more changes than just the theme. The other LCGs differ by quite a bit, after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Bwian wrote:
CovertDad wrote:

That is a bit on the disappointing side. So far we're just working off some very preliminary information, though: there might be more changes than just the theme. The other LCGs differ by quite a bit, after all.

Personally I think FFG will make it different enough so it's not just "Middle Earth in Space". They obviously want the game to sell (and to recover their likely huge license fees) and have people buy the never ending expansions so if it feels exactly the same as their LOTR card game... they are going to kill some of their target market with those redundancies.

No doubt some of the gameplay may feel somewhat similar but I'm betting there will be enough "uniqueness" from implementing the Star Wars theme and universe that it will have us all drooling with the end results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for all the helpful replies! I did some research on Warhammer: Invasion and now feel a strong urge to run into my game shop.

I saw the announcement of the Star Wars LCG, and as much as I like the LotR game, I have to say I'm disappointed that Star Wars seems to be exactly the same on first glance. If it doesn't differ in several aspects, I'll stick to one game - but let's wait until that one is out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trantor42 wrote:
I saw the announcement of the Star Wars LCG, and as much as I like the LotR game, I have to say I'm disappointed that Star Wars seems to be exactly the same on first glance. If it doesn't differ in several aspects, I'll stick to one game - but let's wait until that one is out.

You might want to check out this comparative review:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/683346/star-wars-the-card-ga...

While there are some similarities, it appears that it's not exactly the same...looks like there are several differences, aside from the theme...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.