Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Call it a hunch, but doesn´t this sound a bit like "X-Wing(s) of War"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love a Wings of War retheme to Star Wars. Classic X-Wings and TIE fighters would be fun. Though I wonder if there's only 2 ship types in the basic game? If its large scale minis and few ships this could get a little expensive to collect. I'd prefer a smaller format on a hex grid.

Let's hope they don't change their minds about painted minis like someone else did... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I would prefer hex-based movement, too.
And I want a Death Star scenario with Turbolaser tower miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
United States
Slippery Rock
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
:l
mbmb
I've never really delved any further than skin deep with any type of minis, but always been interested. I'll have to keep an eye on this to see what to make of it.

So far it has my ears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
Though I wonder if there's only 2 ship types in the basic game?

Personally, I'm a little worried that there may only be 2 ships in the basic game. It's fundamentally a ship combat game, so why would it be listed as 2 player only if there were 4 ships in the box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McConnell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
with Turbolaser tower miniatures.

How many guns?

About 20? Some on the surface and some on the towers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:

They talk about "piloting dials", so it's not an exact copy of WoW. But it does sound pretty similar, yeah. At least, from what we've heard so far.

I can't imagine them only packaging it with 2 minis. Not only do they use the plural an awful lot in that press release, you're going to need a pretty smoking TIE pilot to take on an X-Wing solo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
This definitely sounds like Wings of War re-themed - even down to having a 'damage deck' - and with some added goodies. I'm betting it'll be just like Wings of War: Deluxe Set - 4 ships and some cards. It might be fine - but I'm curious as to the MSRP. WoW was way over priced - but I bought 'em just the same. I enjoyed it - but it didn't have any staying power. So let's hope adding scenarios adds replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
I can't imagine them only packaging it with 2 minis. Not only do they use the plural an awful lot in that press release, you're going to need a pretty smoking TIE pilot to take on an X-Wing solo...

Yeah, an awful lot of plurals, but a telling singular:
"Whatever your chosen vessel, X-Wing's rules facilitate fast and visceral gameplay that puts you in the middle of Star Wars' fiercest firefights."
I hope I'm wrong, but I won't be surprised if I'm not.

And while I expect it to be very similar to Wings of War, it clearly does at least some things very differently, as they felt some need to introduce a turn order. Sadly, simultaneous action was a cornerstone of WoW's success; let's hope they don't diverge too far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
adamw wrote:
It might be fine - but I'm curious as to the MSRP. WoW was way over priced - but I bought 'em just the same. :)

$39.95
As for WoW being overpriced, excepting the Balloon Busters miniatures, I always found the WoW products to be a good value. Boxed sets were in the "cheap game" range, and miniatures were only a few dollars more than their unpainted unassembled competitors, not accounting for paint, assembly, and the maneuver deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
The Jakster wrote:

They talk about "piloting dials", so it's not an exact copy of WoW. But it does sound pretty similar, yeah. At least, from what we've heard so far.

I wonder if those 'piloting dials' aren't something like the old "Starship Duel" game had?

That was a pretty slick system, although that particular game didn't use miniatures (but it didn't use a board, either).

An update of that system, or using something like it, could be...interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:

Well, in Spring 2007 FFG proposed to develope a "Wings of War Battlestar Galactica" while they were designing a Battlestar Galactica boardgame. I started working on it together with two other authors, one of which had already made a "WoW Space" proptotype before, but the project has been cancelled. A license for a "Wings of War Star Wars" was asked by FFG instead, and we started again working on that. This product seems a quite natural conclusion of that very long process, apart for the detail that WoW authors are not involved any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rog
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:

And there is no mention of having the license for boardgames.

I noticed this too...
To quote from FF's site:

"we’ll be announcing additional Star Wars card, roleplaying, and miniatures games in the coming months".

Why specify Card, Mini's and Roleplaying and not mentions boards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:

And there is no mention of having the license for boardgames.

Maybe Hasbro still has it to publish their umpteenth version of Star Wars: Monopoly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:

I wonder what the movement map will be? Board or even better, random star/planet tiles?

Edit:

I don't know. They call this a miniatures game. And there is no mention of having the license for boardgames. It may not even have a board, or just be some kinda starter with tons of future boosters. If that is the case, these are not the droids I was looking for!!!

Doesn't appear to have a board, looking at the description:
wrote:
And with the quick-start rules, you can simply select a mission, position your ships on the playing space as instructed, and choose your opening move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
I wonder if those 'piloting dials' aren't something like the old "Starship Duel" game had?

Considering every thing now has a variant of the Threat Tracker dials from LotR TCG, I think its more likely a fancy score card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Picioccio
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
XanderF wrote:

Considering every thing now has a variant of the Threat Tracker dials from LotR TCG, I think its more likely a fancy score card.

Yeah, I would guess something similar to the trackers in Battlestar Galactica.

Hey, at least this can't turn out worse than WotC's awful miniatures game, right? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedetto Loffredo
Italy
Portici (NA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
angiolillo wrote:
Well, in Spring 2007 FFG proposed to develope a "Wings of War Battlestar Galactica" while they were designing a Battlestar Galactica boardgame. I started working on it together with two other authors, one of which had already made a "WoW Space" proptotype before, but the project has been cancelled. A license for a "Wings of War Star Wars" was asked by FFG instead, and we started again working on that. This product seems a quite natural conclusion of that very long process, apart for the detail that WoW authors are not involved any more.

If I remember well, for the italian laws there isn't a copyright infringment. Maybe it isn't so for US law.
Anyway I don't like the FFG behaviour with this game....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahem...

This game you worked on. Was it strictly one-on-one? Or was it more flight vs. flight.

If the action of the pilots are from lowest skilled up, then... I'm pretty sure that it's safe to say that there will be MANY fighters on the board map.

From it's description I immediately thought of this. Star Wars: Star Warriors It was designed for about 4 on 4. You COULD go higher, but it slows the game down a lot. You planned your actions, you made a skill check to see if it works, (or you blow something out) and then you move the lowest skill check pilot first, going up to the 'ace'.

Perhaps I'm just old, this does not sound like a WoW retheme. Anyway, not enough info yet.

I'm hoping, 4 x-wings, 4 TIE in the first box. (Two leaders, two wingmen each.)

Then...

- 4 a-wings, 4 TIE int.
- 4 b-wings, 4 TIE bombers.
- Then... something weird.

Cap ships will probably be more of a "terrain" thing, or an objective to destroy in this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
- 4 a-wings, 4 TIE int.
- 4 b-wings, 4 TIE bombers.
- Then... something weird.

Then some transporter, gunship and YT-1300.

But frankly I am afraid there will be in starter just three (two??) TIE-Fighters and only single one X-Wing.shake

After all this game is titled "X-Wing", not "X-Wings".

In the case I am wrong, I will buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Örtman
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
KDM
mbmbmbmbmb
Think it kinda sounds funny.. X-Wings I mean. Not sure it would fly..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Cirone
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At an MSRP of near $40, I would be very put-out if this game only included two starfighters.

The description mentions scenarios. To make different scenarios, you need different ships and varying numbers of them. My hope would be this set contains at least a couple X-wings, a few TIE Fighters, and perhaps a TIE Bomber or even two.

Otherwise, Fantasy Flight is going to make a joke out of established conventions in the Star Wars universe. A single X-wing with a decent pilot should be able to take on three TIE Fighters. Two X-wings vs. two TIE Fighters makes no sense according to what has been created in almost all other Star Wars games... even if the TIE pilots are above average.

If I were in charge here, then my box would contain:

2 X-wings
1 Y-wing (optional)
3 TIE Fighters (+1 if no Y-wing)
2 TIE Bombers

This would allow for a bunch of match-up options and interesting scenarios.

I have one of the Wings of War sets and a couple of the small expansions. I enjoyed what little I have played of the game, but something always seemed missing to me. There needs to be some sort of objective... just sending a couple fighters headed at each other with no other goal than kill the other guy... that's no a mission/scenario, that's a dumb FPS deathmatch.

Note: I have yet to play with some of the mission based stuff in WoW, but the missions never really sounded particularly special or interesting.

Especially with Star Wars, there are many possibilities for interesting scenarios. Let's hope Fantasy Flight actually puts effort into making good scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's to be X-Wing(s of War), then let me be the first to say: I know that's how it looked in the movies, but real spacecraft don't fly like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Cope
Sweden
Linkoping
Ostergotaland
flag msg tools
It might be a bit more like that "Starship Duels" example.

I mean, the facings and maneuvering of the ships can be abstracted into "Piloting Rolls" and "Skill Checks". Which of course would be far more difficult for Capital Ships.

The glaring fault with WoW in a space game is the 3D aspect of combat, which having no board and abstracting those gameplay elements could answer for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to short-cutting the Death Star attack scenario by shooting straight down the exhaust port from a perpendicular angle to the Death Star's surface.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.