Ken Latall
United States
Whittier
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. There are 3 Tracks to protect with Upgrades, 4 types of Upgrades, but only 2 counters with an Upgrade on each side. How do you place markers if you use Oil on the East Wall and Acid on the West Wall? They’re both on opposite sides of the same counter. What am I missing?
2. You lose if all defenders (archers, men-at-arms and priests) are reduced to 0. What if you still have Heroes left?
3. I’m confused about which spells the Wizard and Cleric can cast from anywhere and which spells they have to be on the same track with the target army to cast.
• Wizard
 Fireball says nothing.
 Slow, the Wizard must be on the target track, but it doesn’t sound like a regular caster has to be on the target track.
 Chain Lightening says the Wizard can be anywhere.
 Fortune says nothing.
• Cleric
 He can be anywhere to cast any of his spells.
• Regular caster
 Can they be anywhere or do they always have to be on the target track?
4. 11.2 It’d be nice to have a Rating System to let you know how successful you were or weren’t. It’s must nicer than just win or lose.

Thanks for all the help and have a great day!
Ken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I've been assuming your upgrades (and heroes) are limited by the tokens that come with the game, but I suppose that's a guess.

2. I don't think I follow the question. You lose if all defenders are reduced to zero. If you have heroes left...then you have heroes left when you lose. What was the question?

3. Rule 9.2 states "With the exception of Chain Lightning and Fortune which can be cast from the Reserves, the Wizard must be on the same track as the target of the arcane spell." So Fireball and Slow require him on the same track, Chain Lightning and Forune do not.

The heroic version of a spell uses a heroic act and the spell must be cast by either the wizard (arcane) or cleric (divine). The normal version of a spell uses a regular action and does not involve any heroes at all; it's cast by the generic defenders whose locations the game doesn't even track. We don't even know the locations of "regular casters", so obviously it would be impossible for the game to behave differently based on where they are.

4. I generally try to estimate how close I was to losing at the end of the game, based on the locations of the armies, how many defenders I had left, and any remaining special resources like spells. It would be pretty easy to turn that into a simple scoring system; something along the lines of:

+Each army is worth points equal to the number of the space it is on
+1 point for each defender track for each space it is above zero (not necessarily the same as the number in its current space)
+1 point for each acid or lava upgrade
+1/2 point for each oil or grease upgrade
-1/2 point for each barricade
-1 point for each breach with no barricade
+1 point for high morale
-1 point for low morale
+1 point for every 3 remaining magic energy (rounded down)
+1 point for each healthy hero
+1/2 point for each wounded hero

Which would mean the lowest possible victorious score is 3, and the highest is around 40. Of course, scores aren't directly comparable between different scenarios, since the greenskins are far easier than the undead.

However, the last turn doesn't necessarily reflect the most dire situation you were in during the whole game. It's quite possible that you were on the verge of losing earlier in the game but have since recovered, in which case you didn't really do as well as your current situation would suggest. So scoring based on the ending could be rather misleading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Latall
United States
Whittier
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Sounds like a good guess. Hopefully the designer will confirm.

2. When it says defenders, my definition isn't Heroes at all, because defenders are always referred to as archers, men-at-arms and priests. So either "and you run out of Heroes" should be added or they're not considered for this type of defeat.

3. Thanks for getting that straight for me.

4. Thanks for you homemade scoring system. I'll use it and see how I like it. I always seemed to enjoy a grade and not just a won/loss.

I appreciate your help and hope you have a great day!
Ken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Upgrades are limited by the counters. Build the upgrade on one side, and you can't build the upgrade on the other side.

2. Heroes don't matter if you lose all your defenders. You still lose.

That's a nice scoring system!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
klatall wrote:
2. When it says defenders, my definition isn't Heroes at all, because defenders are always referred to as archers, men-at-arms and priests. So either "and you run out of Heroes" should be added or they're not considered for this type of defeat.

Right. Heroes are not defenders. So why are you even asking about them? If you run out of defenders, you lose. Period.

It's like asking "You lose if all defenders are reduced to 0. What if it's Tuesday?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Latall
United States
Whittier
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I guess in the back of my mind, Heroes do EVERYTHING! So I figured if I had someone to attack with I could still do damage before they breached a wall.

Thanks for the help from both of you.

I'm trying to learn about 5 VPG games all at the same time and enjoying every minute of it!

Have a great day guys!!!
Ken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.